Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    Geez you are really looking at the bottom end bikes. You should just put the money into your old one if you are going that low end.
    LOL - you suggested i check out what they had @ dicks

i don't know if this has been said before, but make sure any bike you get has suspension that can be locked out. Especially if you get an FS.
    my photo site.
    Frigid Light.

Any further along on picking a bike here, Gary?
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Any further along on picking a bike here, Gary?
    No, not really. I like the ibex HT line Mr. Evil pointed me towards but am at a loss for what size i'd have to get. Was hoping i'd hook up for a AZ ride and maybe Tim would let me look at his as a measure for what i need but i don't think i can join you guys this weekend.

I still need to get to a few of the local shops around my town but I probably won't be able to any time soon. Rough schedule at work this week + kids activities almost every night. The weekend is shot with dance recital, dinner party, and various other activities.

I'll keep pedaling my old schwinn until i get a new ride. My Oakley bike shorts from SAC arrived yesterday and am itching to give them a try!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    No, not really. I like the ibex HT line Mr. Evil pointed me towards but am at a loss for what size i'd have to get.
    Did you click the "Geometry" link for each bike (under the "Add to Cart" link)? They give a typical rider height for each size frame. There's also this page. I think Ibex is the route I'm going to take once it's time to upgrade.

Was hoping i'd hook up for a AZ ride and maybe Tim would let me look at his as a measure for what i need but i don't think i can join you guys this weekend.
    Let us know if you can work it out. It's Father's Day after all. Gonna be just a morning thing for me.

My Oakley bike shorts from SAC arrived yesterday and am itching to give them a try!!
    I hope they don't give you an itch.

Did you click the "Geometry" link for each bike (under the "Add to Cart" link)? They give a typical rider height for each size frame. There's also this page. I think Ibex is the route I'm going to take once it's time to upgrade.
    my fear is not getting it right and spending $500 to find out. They offer returns but i'd like to get it right the first time

Let us know if you can work it out. It's Father's Day after all. Gonna be just a morning thing for me.
    i'm very tempted.. if i lived closer it would be an easier call but i'd have 2+ hours of driving to/from the ride and that is that part that kills it for me.

I hope they don't give you an itch.
    The padding is much "larger" than i expected. I showed my wife and she said it looked like a huge maxi-pad

No, not really. I like the ibex HT line Mr. Evil pointed me towards but am at a loss for what size i'd have to get. Was hoping i'd hook up for a AZ ride and maybe Tim would let me look at his as a measure for what i need but i don't think i can join you guys this weekend.

!!
    I will be more than happy to let you try out my bike. But I need to point out that just becuase my bike fits well, does not mean a different model from Ibex will. Different models have different geometry. My bike is there AM offering (the Atlas) and has much different geo than there full suspension XC bike (Asta). Go to some bike shops and test out some bikes until you find one that fits really well. Then PM or email me with the bike model and size you liked. I will look up the goemetry on that bike and compare it to the Ibex bikes to see what is the best match. There is a chance that the bike you end up liking from the bike shop will be very different from anything Ibex has geo wise.

Another route is www.JensonUsa.com. They don't sell bikes whole sale like Ibex, but during the summer they ussually have some killer deals on IronHorse and K2 bikes. If you go this route find some local shops that sell IronHorse and K2, test ride some of the bikes to find one you like and the size you need. Then order it from Jenson during the sale.

my fear is not getting it right and spending $500 to find out. They offer returns but i'd like to get it right the first time
    I hear ya, but the height ranges seem pretty clear. I'm guessing you're around 5' 9"?

i'm very tempted.. if i lived closer it would be an easier call but i'd have 2+ hours of driving to/from the ride and that is that part that kills it for me.
    Understood. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive an hour for a ride. Still, if you change your mind it should be a fun time...

The padding is much "larger" than i expected. I showed my wife and she said it looked like a huge maxi-pad
    Sounds cozy. How long did it take for them to come? I ordered mine from Chainlove, also a www.backcountry.com store.

I hear ya, but the height ranges seem pretty clear. I'm guessing you're around 5' 9"?
    Maybe with my ski boots on closer to 5' 7"

Sounds cozy. How long did it take for them to come? I ordered mine from Chainlove, also a www.backcountry.com store.
    i orderd on Saturday 5/31, they shipped on Monday 6/2 and arrived yesterday 6/9. standard ground UPS.

Maybe with my ski boots on closer to 5' 7"
    Seems like you fall right in the middle of the height range for the 16" Ibex hardtails. But I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about so keep that in mind...

Thread Information