Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Seems like you fall right in the middle of the height range for the 16" Ibex hardtails. But I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about so keep that in mind...
    Height wise a 16" would fit like a glove. But you also need to think about lenght of the Top tube which IMO is the most import factor for comfort. If it is too long you will have to lean over more to reach the bars. Some people like to lean, some don't. Typically XC (cross country) bikes will have longer TT compared to AM (All Mountain) bikes. Longer TT ussually make for a bike to climbs well but is sketchy going down hill while shorter TT can hinder climbing while improving going down.

The Ibex Trophy HT's are sweet bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Height wise a 16" would fit like a glove. But you also need to think about lenght of the Top tube which IMO is the most import factor for comfort. If it is too long you will have to lean over more to reach the bars. Some people like to lean, some don't. Typically XC (cross country) bikes will have longer TT compared to AM (All Mountain) bikes. Longer TT ussually make for a bike to climbs well but is sketchy going down hill while shorter TT can hinder climbing while improving going down.

The Ibex Trophy HT's are sweet bikes!
    Thanks Tim. I knew there was more to it. It looks like the TT length is almost the same for both the Trophy and Alpine series so the 16" would still be the best fit for Gary at 5'7", no? I would think for beginner riders, it's better to go shorter with the TT length to facilitate on those "scary" downhills, right?
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    LOL - you suggested i check out what they had @ dicks
    I know but they do have some better models I think.

Thanks Tim. I knew there was more to it. It looks like the TT length is almost the same for both the Trophy and Alpine series so the 16" would still be the best fit for Gary at 5'7", no? I would think for beginner riders, it's better to go shorter with the TT length to facilitate on those "scary" downhills, right?
    It is not that simple. It depends on what type of riding you do, and also what you find most comfortable.

If the top tube length is close you can swap out the handlebar stems to fine tune the fit, so I wouldn't obsess over this. We are still talking about a relatively low end bike for riding single track and fire roads. If he gets hooked, he's going to want to move up anyway.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

It is not that simple. It depends on what type of riding you do, and also what you find most comfortable.
    Okay, but at what point are we over-thinking things here? Is an inch or two difference in a bike's geometry really going to make that much of a difference to Gary who is just starting out? Isn't it going to take a few years of hard riding for him to build enough skill to even know what type of riding he's going to eventually settle into?

Kinda like the newbie to bumps going out and buying bump skis, ya know? Yes Tim, I went there...

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    We are still talking about a relatively low end bike for riding single track and fire roads.
    Now I'm confused. I thought the Ibex bikes were generally considered pretty good for the money.

Now I'm confused. I thought the Ibex bikes were generally considered pretty good for the money.
    Yes, they are. I said relatively (I'm assuming he's still sicking to the $500 price point). He's still looking at the low end of a high end product. I just think we are over complicating things when all he wants is a good solid bike to get out on the trails with. Fit is a concern, but we shouldn't over think it. The best thing is to get him out on some wheels and riding. If the top tube length isn't perfect you can compensate for that in other ways, by sliding the seat forward or back and swapping out longer or shorter stems and even putting downhill handlebars on if he wants a more upright position.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Okay, but at what point are we over-thinking things here?
    Can't speak for everyone but i've been over-thinking this for several days now!

Okay, but at what point are we over-thinking things here? Is an inch or two difference in a bike's geometry really going to make that much of a difference to Gary who is just starting out? Isn't it going to take a few years of hard riding for him to build enough skill to even know what type of riding he's going to eventually settle into?

Kinda like the newbie to bumps going out and buying bump skis, ya know? Yes Tim, I went there...

An inch or two can be a HUGE factor in comfort. If you not comfortable on the bike, you won't ride as much. I was having back problems from being so stretched out on my old HT. While I was saving for a new bike I swapped out the 100mm stem for an 80mm stem. That 20mm made a huge differance (thats less than an inch) and let me ride that bike for a couple of more months.

An inch or two can be a HUGE factor in comfort. If you not comfortable on the bike, you won't ride as much. I was having back problems from being so stretched out on my old HT. While I was saving for a new bike I swapped out the 100mm stem for an 80mm stem. That 20mm made a huge differance (thats less than an inch) and let me ride that bike for a couple of more months.
    Yeah, but my point is how much experience did you have at the point you realized that the shorter stem might help? What I'm saying is for someone starting out, it seems we're getting a little too deep. The same thing can happen with new skiers; a new skier is going to see little benefit from custom footbeds, or specialty skis for example. There's a certain level of skill that needs to be attained first. Maybe I have it all wrong, but it seems to me the most important thing is for Gary to get out on something solid that will last a few years and then he can tweak his set up. But again, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thread Information