Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yeah, but my point is how much experience did you have at the point you realized that the shorter stem might help? What I'm saying is for someone starting out, it seems we're getting a little too deep. The same thing can happen with new skiers; a new skier is going to see little benefit from custom footbeds, or specialty skis for example. There's a certain level of skill that needs to be attained first. Maybe I have it all wrong, but it seems to me the most important thing is for Gary to get out on something solid that will last a few years and then he can tweak his set up. But again, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

To bring this into skiing terms, would you ever recomend that a new skier buy uncomfortable boots? Didn't think so. He won't need the the best boots, or even good ones, but if his boots are uncomfortable he will not ski as much. Same for bikes.

Regardless of skill level bike fit is a huge factor when selecting a bike. Even when buying low end stuff, a good saleman at a bike shop will spend alot of time with you making sure they put you in a bike that fits well and is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    To bring this into skiing terms, would you ever recomend that a new skier buy uncomfortable boots? Didn't think so. He won't need the the best boots, or even good ones, but if his boots are uncomfortable he will not ski as much. Same for bikes.
    A bit of a stretch. no? Nobody's suggesting he gets a 20" frame or anything. The ill-fitting boot thing might be a valid analogy if that was the case. If he went ahead with a 16" Ibex HT for example, wouldn't he do okay with that for his introduction period to MTB? Please don't think I'm being confrontational with you on purpose here. It's an interesting discussion and due to your experience we all obviously value your opinion.

Regardless of skill level bike fit is a huge factor when selecting a bike. Even when buying low end stuff, a good saleman at a bike shop will spend alot of time with you making sure they put you in a bike that fits well and is comfortable.
    Okay, fair enough. So the best next step really is to go into a decent shop and get fitted, correct?
    I ski double black diamonds.

Yeah, but my point is how much experience did you have at the point you realized that the shorter stem might help? What I'm saying is for someone starting out, it seems we're getting a little too deep. The same thing can happen with new skiers; a new skier is going to see little benefit from custom footbeds, or specialty skis for example. There's a certain level of skill that needs to be attained first. Maybe I have it all wrong, but it seems to me the most important thing is for Gary to get out on something solid that will last a few years and then he can tweak his set up. But again, I really don't know what I'm talking about.
    That's the point I'm trying to make. Fit is important to a point, but if you are close there are plenty of adjustments that can me made to adjust for fit and personal preference. Gary needs to get a bike and head out. He definitely should spend a little time riding a few different bikes at shops and borrowed from friends. Just don't get too wrapped up in all the minutia, you can fine tune later once you get some miles in.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Comfort aside, I think Greg's point about experience holds a lot of water. If we were skiing and Greg and I switched skis it would not help me at all in the bumps, i don't have the skill level, regardless of the equipment. Greg, having the skills, might be negatively impacted by my fatter volkls which aren't made for bump skiing. crappy equipment hurts a pro, great equipment doesn't necessarily help a novice IMHO.

i realize skiing and biking are like apples and oranges. I do appreciate all the help here and am planning (just don't know when) to get to the local shops to see what they have to offer (both advice and product). Until i have a new ride i'll keep going with my old one. Much like my skiing, the biggest issue with getting out is not equipment or desire but rather scheduling with friends, family, work, etc.

To keep with the boot fitting analogy. Most out of the box boots don't fit perfect and a boot fitter will tell you to go out and use them some before all adjustments are made.

Even when buying low end stuff, a good saleman at a bike shop will spend alot of time with you making sure they put you in a bike that fits well and is comfortable.
    Agreed.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    Comfort aside, I think Greg's point about experience holds a lot of water. If we were skiing and Greg and I switched skis it would not help me at all in the bumps, i don't have the skill level, regardless of the equipment. Greg, having the skills, might be negatively impacted by my fatter volkls which aren't made for bump skiing. crappy equipment hurts a pro, great equipment doesn't necessarily help a novice IMHO.
    Ha! I hardly have the skills to actually require bump skis. I'm just becoming a bit of a gear head as of late. Now getting into MTB, I have a whole new endeavor with which to spend money on gear.... Greeeeat....

i realize skiing and biking are like apples and oranges. I do appreciate all the help here and am planning (just don't know when) to get to the local shops to see what they have to offer (both advice and product). Until i have a new ride i'll keep going with my old one. Much like my skiing, the biggest issue with getting out is not equipment or desire but rather scheduling with friends, family, work, etc.
    Well, good luck with everything. I hear you on the scheduling front, believe me. I'm living it. One thing a new bike will do for you though is inspire you to work harder to make getting out on rides happen. Have you reconsidered Sunday at all? It would be great if you joined us. Maybe we could put the final nail in the coffin of that old Schwinn...
    I ski double black diamonds.

You should show up Sunday, I am sure any of us will let you try our bikes to get a feel for the different types.

Have you reconsidered Sunday at all?
    still not looking good but i'm hoping for a miracle. after this weekend i'm probably much more likely to be freed up.

Okay, fair enough. So the best next step really is to go into a decent shop and get fitted, correct?

Yes, that would be the smart next step.

But if Gary still wants to save some coin and buy online, I would still visit a shop and find a bike that fits and is comfortable. Then I can look up the geo on that bike and fine other options that are very similar to the one he was fit to in the bike shop.

still not looking good but i'm hoping for a miracle. after this weekend i'm probably much more likely to be freed up.
    Its fathers day, don't you get to decide what you want to do?

Thread Information