Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Its fathers day, don't you get to decide what you want to do?
    +1

I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Its fathers day, don't you get to decide what you want to do?
    dude, i'm married 19 years and have 2 kids, i haven't decided things for myself in a long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    dude, i'm married 19 years and have 2 kids, i haven't decided things for myself in a long time!!
    Not even on fathers day?

OK

I like reading this thread but lets be frank.

Cunny if you only want to spend 500 to 600 bucks on a bike you are not going to get one any better than the current bike you are riding. Take a couple hundred get the old one spiffed up and put the rest in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    I like reading this thread but lets be frank.

Cunny if you only want to spend 500 to 600 bucks on a bike you are not going to get one any better than the current bike you are riding. Take a couple hundred get the old one spiffed up and put the rest in your pocket.
    I disagree with that statement. $500-$600 will get a decent HT that's more than adequate for what he wants to do and will be way better than his rigid, 15 year old Schwinn.
    Brian

Sounds to me that he is looking to do more recreational riding and seeing that he got 15 years out of his current bike, I would think that a $500 +/- bike would be sufficient without putting him way over his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Sounds to me that he is looking to do more recreational riding and seeing that he got 15 years out of his current bike, I would think that a $500 +/- bike would be sufficient without putting him way over his budget.
    Right, that's what I'm trying to say.
    Brian

giant and jamis have some decent offerings in that $ range. get a decent hardtail frame with a mediocre component package - if you end up just riding rail trail type stuff they'll be fine and if you end up beating your bike and body up on the rocks and stumps you can upgrade components (not so much the body!) when they break, and they will. a hard tail will build your skill set better than a FS. in a few years when you feel a FS suits your needs you'll have a decent bike quiver
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I disagree with that statement. $500-$600 will get a decent HT that's more than adequate for what he wants to do and will be way better than his rigid, 15 year old Schwinn.
    500-600 bucks wont get him anything better than what he is already riding now. He could put a front shock on his bike get it tuned. 200 beans and he is in the same position. It just wont be a shiny

won't it still have a severely malformed chainstay (isn't that the bike we're talking abuot)? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1280/29353/is better!

oh and drop a few hints to the wifey and kids, my '98 GT aggressor was a daddy's day present! I still ride it pretty often although the frame, stem, cranks and seatpost are the only original parts
    Last edited by gorgonzola; Jun 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM.
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Thread Information