Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    giant and jamis have some decent offerings in that $ range. get a decent hardtail frame with a mediocre component package - if you end up just riding rail trail type stuff they'll be fine and if you end up beating your bike and body up on the rocks and stumps you can upgrade components (not so much the body!) when they break, and they will. a hard tail will build your skill set better than a FS. in a few years when you feel a FS suits your needs you'll have a decent bike quiver
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    500-600 bucks wont get him anything better than what he is already riding now. He could put a front shock on his bike get it tuned. 200 beans and he is in the same position. It just wont be a shiny
    No shop would install a new fork on that bike. Its just to dangerous. 15 years is a good run for one bike, time for a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    No shop would install a new fork on that bike. Its just to dangerous. 15 years is a good run for one bike, time for a new ride.
    Can you even find suspension forks for threaded headsets anymore?
    Brian

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1280/29353/is better!

oh and drop a few hints to the wifey and kids, my '98 GT aggressor was a daddy's day present! I still ride it pretty often although the frame, stem, cranks and seatpost are the only original parts

sorry for the double post/edit
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

won't it still have a severely malformed chainstay (isn't that the bike we're talking abuot)?
    Yes, that is the bike we're talking about. We never got a clear answer on what exactly is going on there, but it sure does look screwed up to me.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Yes, that is the bike we're talking about. We never got a clear answer on what exactly is going on there, but it sure does look screwed up to me.
    without trying to sound too stupid, what part of the bike is the "severely malformed chainstay"? the bike works fine, shifts gears well.

the chainstay is the "arm" that runs from the bottom bracket (where your front gears and pedals are) to the rear wheel and rear derailer. Yours has a big bend in it.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    the chainstay is the "arm" that runs from the bottom bracket (where your front gears and pedals are) to the rear wheel and rear derailer. Yours has a big bend in it.
    WOW, what an F'ing retard i am... never noticed that before. just ran out and checked, thought perhaps it was an optical illusion based on camera angle. nope, bent. the bar is scratched up pretty badly where it bends. i must have been hitting some gnarly terrain and pushed her beyond her limits

Now i really do need a new bike, i can't be seen riding that piece of crap! even on the rail trail they'll make fun of me.

what's the story with Giant? i thought it was a department store brand but chcking their web site it looks like there is a dealer not too far from me.

at first glance to my untrained eye that Yukon looks like a nice feature set for the $$

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    WOW, what an F'ing retard i am... never noticed that before. just ran out and checked, thought perhaps it was an optical illusion based on camera angle. nope, bent. the bar is scratched up pretty badly where it bends. i must have been hitting some gnarly terrain and pushed her beyond her limits

Now i really do need a new bike, i can't be seen riding that piece of crap! even on the rail trail they'll make fun of me.
    I don't know if it's that bad. It might have been a "feature". Companies try weird stuff with their bikes sometimes and I think I remember some bikes having something like that back in the mid-90s. If it was that bad I don't think you could ride it. The wheel wouldn't track correctly and would probably be rubbing on something.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Thread Information