• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

<sigh> House Shopping

drjeff

I'm doubled up, both my places are basically $4400 a year in taxes. That gets 4br/3ba and 3300 sq. ft in CT and 3br/2ba and 2250sq.ft. in VT

snoseek

Definately one of the factors that drove me away from the East Coast. I pay 700 per month with all utilities included for bottom of a nice house walking distance to dowtown and brewery (free beer six days per week!)

In Dover i paid 1200 per month and when it was cold 100 dollars per week for oil. That was before oil got bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm doubled up, both my places are basically $4400 a year in taxes. That gets 4br/3ba and 3300 sq. ft in CT and 3br/2ba and 2250sq.ft. in VT

That's a pretty fair deal for Vermont. My folks ski house in Ludlow was 1400 sq ft with 3 br/ 2 baths and the last year they owned it in 2002 they paid $4800 in taxes. Granted their place also had 2 acres of land.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definately one of the factors that drove me away from the East Coast. I pay 700 per month with all utilities included for bottom of a nice house walking distance to dowtown and brewery (free beer six days per week!)

In Dover i paid 1200 per month and when it was cold 100 dollars per week for oil. That was before oil got bad.

How do the wages compare?

I've heard its pretty cheap living in certain places of Colorado.

krisskis

600K on the Island and you're looking at upwards of 13. I'm sure a Long Islander will chime in. I just remember taxes being a major gripe of every home owner when I grew up in Nassau County.

Long Islander chiming in. Taxes in Wantagh on the south shore of nassau county suck! I am 2 blocks from the water so i need flood insurance that of course just went up. My taxes are about $9500 of which over $7000 are school. I bought my house 12 yrs ago for $150K. It was a small cape, no basement "4" BRs and i bath. 4 yrs ago we double dormered it and made it 6 BRs..one of which we are using as an office and laundry room...2 BRs downstairs, kitchen, LR and Bathroom. Upstairs now with 4 BRs and a 15x12 bathroom covered in glass tiles <the county hasnt seen that yet...they will up my taxes due to that> We have a 60x100 lot with about 1700 square feet of living space. The value of the house is now at about $450K...not that i would get that now if i wanted to sell :-(

BeanoNYC

Long Islander chiming in. Taxes in Wantagh on the south shore of nassau county suck! I am 2 blocks from the water so i need flood insurance that of course just went up. My taxes are about $9500 of which over $7000 are school. I bought my house 12 yrs ago for $150K. It was a small cape, no basement "4" BRs and i bath. 4 yrs ago we double dormered it and made it 6 BRs..one of which we are using as an office and laundry room...2 BRs downstairs, kitchen, LR and Bathroom. Upstairs now with 4 BRs and a 15x12 bathroom covered in glass tiles <the county hasnt seen that yet...they will up my taxes due to that> We have a 60x100 lot with about 1700 square feet of living space. The value of the house is now at about $450K...not that i would get that now if i wanted to sell :-(

Actually we're looking at S. Wantagh, Seaford and Bellmore as well. Maybe N. Merrick, but idealistically we'd like to be on the water. Know anyone selling? What are you looking at for flood insurance out there? I'm wondering if it's the same as Rockaway.

Welcome to LI Rich. Get ready to pay out the ass for taxes lipa ect....

Yeah I know the LIPA deal. My area is actually the only NYC area that is serviced by LIPA and Keyspan ...Although I don't know if they're much worse than con-ed.

Also...thanks to those lovely commercials, I know the number to dial for cable.

krisskis

Actually we're looking at S. Wantagh, Seaford and Bellmore as well. Maybe N. Merrick, but idealistically we'd like to be on the water. Know anyone selling? What are you looking at for flood insurance out there? I'm wondering if it's the same as Rockaway.

Yeah I know the LIPA deal. My area is actually the only NYC area that is serviced by LIPA and Keyspan ...Although I don't know if they're much worse than con-ed.

Also...thanks to those lovely commercials, I know the number to dial for cable.

I am in South Wantagh...Mandalay area. Great town...fantastic schools...i dont think i will ever leave. I think my flood insurance is about $700 a year but thats NOT on the water, just south of merrick road. Taxes on waterfront houses are insane. There are ALOT of house in my area for sale..just look online or the paper. I can see whats around and get some numbers for you...PM me your email addy if you want and i will email you what i find. KingSlug <my sisters husband> should be chiming in soon.Hes on the water in Freeport. His taxes are nuts and they are thinking of getting out of there.

BeanoNYC

I am in South Wantagh...Mandalay area. Great town...fantastic schools...i dont think i will ever leave. I think my flood insurance is about $700 a year but thats NOT on the water, just south of merrick road. Taxes on waterfront houses are insane. There are ALOT of house in my area for sale..just look online or the paper. I can see whats around and get some numbers for you...PM me your email addy if you want and i will email you what i find. KingSlug <my sisters husband> should be chiming in soon.Hes on the water in Freeport. His taxes are nuts and they are thinking of getting out of there.

I've been over to King and Queen Slug's place before. (I forget what I was dropping off in the mailbox, maybe free lift ticket.) Nice place. Friend of mine lives on Nassau Street. Can't beat a quick walk over to the Nautical Mile! I Was at Otto's the other day. Was thinking about taking the walk over to where your sister works for a visit, but I was with a bachelor party and I didn't want them to piss her off.

I know the Mandalay Bay area quite well. (I actually got brought home by the cops for water skiing in Mandalay Bay once as a kid.) My best friend (Same one that lives in Freeport now) grew up on Hempstead Lane. There's quite a few preforclousres in that area. I just wish I knew more about how to take advantage of them.

krisskis

I've been over to King and Queen Slug's place before. (I forget what I was dropping off in the mailbox, maybe free lift ticket.) Nice place. Friend of mine lives on Nassau Street. Can't beat a quick walk over to the Nautical Mile! I Was at Otto's the other day. Was thinking about taking the walk over to where your sister works for a visit, but I was with a bachelor party and I didn't want them to piss her off.

I know the Mandalay Bay area quite well. (I actually got brought home by the cops for water skiing in Mandalay Bay once as a kid.) My best friend (Same one that lives in Freeport now) grew up on Hempstead Lane. There's quite a few preforclousres in that area. I just wish I knew more about how to take advantage of them.

I love going to my sisters house for "party nights" in the summer...LOL. We go over to the mile, drink, listen to music and then walk back to her place for a nightcap. I was just at Rachel's for dinner<sis wasnt working> Her place is mad good. Yummy drinks<she makes the best pear martini> but it can be hard on the wallet. But then shes my sis...she takes care of me. :) You should have gone over there...shes very hard to piss off.

Hmm...i dont know about the pre forclosures myself, but a good friend of mine owns the ReMax that does most of the sales of the waterfront houses in the area. I could give her a call and see what she knows. I'll send you a PM with her website and name.

snoseek

How do the wages compare?

I've heard its pretty cheap living in certain places of Colorado.

Wages are a bit less in my field as the amount of skilled mexican labor drives the wage down. Doesn't matter because I'm doing the personal chef thing now and there seems to be good demand. My G.F. is a designer and the work is actually better out here as it is growing faster than new england. It really depends on what you do but I do seem to have a lot more money and time. Denver area itself is pretty reasonable for such a big city. Places like Fort Collins are also a good buy, and areas like Boulder are New England Expensive. Golden is actually pretty expensive, probably will buy in Evergreen or Conifer.

I didn't know you were related to KingSlug....wow..

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I bought my house in October 2006 for $200,000 in Clifton Park (North of Albany), and I pay $3200 a year in taxes (3 BR, 1 Bath, 1200 sq ft or so).

I too, can not fathom making enough to buy a $600,000 house.

Even if I had the 20% down payment on that thing ($120,000), I'd take it out west, buy a piece of land in the mountains and build a yurt to live in while working odd jobs to pay for food, beer and taxes.