• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Nepaug State Forest, CT - 6/15/08

Greg

Staff member
Not sure jeff......I know case is because there is several loops that intersect.....Ive heard some good stuff about nepaug....and brian has done it a few times...

steve

I think Nepaug is a bit closer for everyone, no?

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like we have a tour guide for West Hartford on Sunday. I could do that, but again it would have to be early...like 7 am. Thoughts?

Not sure jeff......I know case is because there is several loops that intersect.....Ive heard some good stuff about nepaug....and brian has done it a few times...

steve

I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I've hacked my way through each place, but I wouldn't say I know the trails. I'd be happy to show what I remember. Nepaug has a ton of trails, I almost always seemed to be riding them in the wrong direction too. The best ride I had there was my last one, but I just kinda stumbled on the trail, I may or may not be able to find it again. ;) There's a TON of stunts and stuff there for those inclined for that sort of thing.

Greg

Staff member
So Nepaug, it is? Seems appropriate for a summertime Sundown crew reunion.

o3jeff

Just bluff you way through it, as long as you get us into the woods on some trails for an hour or two and are able to get us back out is all we are asking for.

Greg

Staff member
Just bluff you way through it, as long as you get us into the woods on some trails for an hour or two and are able to get us back out is all we are asking for.

Right. Trust me, Jeff and I aren't picky yet....

bvibert

Staff member
I'll be happy to try my best to show you guys around Nepaug. I take no responsibility to for getting lost and or riding around in aimless circles though. I'm still trying to figure the place out myself. I hope I can find the area I got to last time I was there. There was stuff for everyone there, from nice flowy sections of single track, technical climbs/descents (nothing too long), big rollers, bigger rollers, jumps, etc..

MR. evil

With any luck Steve knows Nepaug. I will kust need some direction how to get there

powhunter

Directions - Off of I84 take the Farmington Rt 4 exit (Exit #39). Follow Rt4 until you junction with Rt179 (there is a stop light). Rt4 will go left and you will continue straight on Rt179. Follow Rt179 to Canton where it junctions with Rt202. Take a left at this light onto Rt202(Saybrook Fishouse is on the right). The entrance is approximately 2.5 miles up 202. You will see a Tunxis trail sign and a dirt road on the right. There is a dirt parking lot on the left, but we park up the dirt road on the right about 200 feet. You will see places to park

Trail report from bikerag.com:

Description - What a great riding area! I would say its a cross between trail of tears at the cape, Middlesex and Trumbull. What I am trying to say is that if your riding hear you will be crying as if you were being RIDDEN by a bull.. Anyway.. Lots of great winding single track with some loose stuff to watch out for, plus rock gardens you dream about, plus slick-rock sections, plus steep rock trumblesque drops, with plenty of fire roads to get you home when your injured and crying like a little baby.. Recent additions include crazy 3-6' hucks like Jaba and sick rock rollers..

sounds pretty good

steve

bvibert

Staff member
With any luck Steve knows Nepaug. I will kust need some direction how to get there

steve

Based on the above I'd say he's never been. ;)

It's easy to get there, it's right on route 202. The map below shows about where the parking lot is for the ending spot.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...834,-72.971621&spn=0.033577,0.074415&t=h&z=14
If you're going the direction shown (I picked Hartford as a random starting point, you can edit it to start from your house to get a better idea) then you'll see a small wooden sign on the right for Nepaug State Forest (or whatever it says), go down the dirt road there and it shortly opens up into a pseudo parking lot (people park along the road between the trees and what not), it'll be obvious once you get in there. Alternatively you can park on the other side of the street from the entrance of the dirt road, theres a large dirt pull-off there. The parking down the dirt road tends to fill up, but probably not by 7:30. I might be parked in the lot across the street anyway though, my car doesn't have much ground clearance and the aluminum oil pan is known to get taken out when it comes in contact with large rocks that can sometimes protrude from the ruts on dirt roads. So I usually play it safe and avoid those situations when possible. ;)

Greg

Staff member
Nepaug it is! Sunday at 7:30 am. I'm good for a 2-2.5 hour ride. Roll call:

Greg

o3jeff

Really, were are our guides?
I wonder if Brian went there tonight to try and learn the trails so he doesn't let us down Sunday!

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
And if anyone missed it, this is the kind of foolishness that goes on during these rides:

How could you not want to be a part of that? :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Not sure if this helps with any route planning, but I found this map on bikerag.com.

ct_nepaug_map_by_numbers.JPG