Outdoor Equipment Preferences? - Page 2

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: What brand of outdoor equipment/outerwear do you prefer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Patagonia

3 23.08%
  • The North Face

3 23.08%
  • Marmot

0 0%
  • Moonstone

0 0%
  • Helly Hansen

0 0%
  • Cloudveil

1 7.69%
  • EMS Brand

3 23.08%
  • REI Brand

0 0%
  • Columbia

0 0%
  • Mountain Hardwear (or is it Hardware?)

0 0%
  • OR

0 0%
  • LL Bean

3 23.08%
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
    I still have a TNF mountain guide goretex coat and a pair of mountain guide goretex pants sitting in my closet. The seams on the coat have come apart, and the inner linning is disitergrated, The zipper on the pants is broke. No warranty, even though both products came with a lifetime warranty. I even offered to pay money to TNF to get them fixed and they refused to help me. That's what pushed me over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleGrrrl
    I still have a TNF mountain guide goretex coat and a pair of mountain guide goretex pants sitting in my closet. The seams on the coat have come apart, and the inner linning is disitergrated, The zipper on the pants is broke. No warranty, even though both products came with a lifetime warranty. I even offered to pay money to TNF to get them fixed and they refused to help me. That's what pushed me over the edge.
    Yep, same thing as me. I guess they had many claims and opted to do nothing rather than help. Costly mistake.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Substance!!!

Trailboss and Telegrl. I gotta say your claims have a great deal of substance. That has to have been a major mistake by TNF. I must say that I have never been treated that way, quite the opposite, in fact. Timing, maybe????

I appreciate that you gave a few details. All too often, I see a company getting trashed, unfairly. Much like a Ford man will trash Dodge and Chevy, etc.... What you have given lends much credance to your statements. I appreciate the details here. Thanx.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae
    I looked through my gear so I could make an honest vote. I can't. What brand I have depends on what I'm buying, what fits well, what has the features I'm looking for, and what mood I'm in when I make the purchase. Every company makes some good stuff, and some stuff that's not so good.
    Sometimes it's just who has the coolest logo.
    Ooooh, bright, shiny objects....
    I agree. These manufacturers make such a vast array of equipment and some do some gear better than others. In the end it's always about the vibe you get from something or how you feel with it. It's easy to tell yourself to be rational about your decision, but we always end up going with what we feel better with anyway.

You have to get gear that you will love and cherish
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

I voted other because I usualy buy what ever is on sale. I have a Lowe alpine water proof breathable shell I found off season for 60 $, Orignal price 220$ I hike with a guy only wears Mtn Hardware looks like a walking add. Suprised REI not represented good stuff good off season deals Check out Framingham store exit 13 mass pike great store

Re: Substance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber
    Trailboss and Telegrl. I gotta say your claims have a great deal of substance. That has to have been a major mistake by TNF. I must say that I have never been treated that way, quite the opposite, in fact. Timing, maybe????

I appreciate that you gave a few details. All too often, I see a company getting trashed, unfairly. Much like a Ford man will trash Dodge and Chevy, etc.... What you have given lends much credance to your statements. I appreciate the details here. Thanx.
    Yes I had heard that the original company declared bankruptcy right before my claim and was undergoing a transformation/restructuring.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I voted LL Bean. Their gear is pricey, but their guarantee is tops. I've never had to use it, but know a few people that have - and there were never any questions asked. I'll also buy EMS, columbia, and the like depending on price. Last year I bought a Red Ledge ski jacket at Sams in Keene, NH for $100 and it's the warmest jacket I own and fits like a glove.

Smitty
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Yes, the guarantee at LL Bean makes it worthwhile. Is their gear durable? Yes and no. I've had my good stuff and not so good stuff from them. Overall, favorable opinion, but it is going more mainstream.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    Overall, favorable opinion, but it is going more mainstream.
    I feel like a yuppie when I wear the stuff. I notice the catalog is looking more like an extension of Martha Stuart Living.... makes the yearly pigrimage to Freeport to see all of the "real" outdoor gear all the more necessary.
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smitty77
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    Overall, favorable opinion, but it is going more mainstream.
    I feel like a yuppie when I wear the stuff. I notice the catalog is looking more like an extension of Martha Stuart Living.... makes the yearly pigrimage to Freeport to see all of the "real" outdoor gear all the more necessary.
    Yes, this drives me nuts as well as do people who buy coats in the 100s of dollars to wear on the street and nothing more. To each his/her own I guess.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information