• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nepaug State Forest, CT June 15th 2008 (Father's Day)

bvibert

Staff member
A few of us hit up Nepaug this mornig, despite the wet weather we've been having. The trails weren't too bad as far as mud, but the fire roads were pretty wet (lots of big puddles). The actual trails did have plenty of wet, slick roots though. I did my best to show the crew around, only having to turn around a few times. There was a lot of logging going on, which caused us to have to change our routes a few times due to existing trails being impassable. We hit some pretty cool trails and I think everyone had a good time. I'll definitely have to do some more exploring there to get a better idea of the trails. There were some wipe outs, but everyone rode away without any problems. Greg caught some video, can't wait to see it. This is shaping up to be a pretty good AZ CT MTB crew, we'll definitely have to do more rides.

powhunter, johnnypoach, Greg, Mr.Evil, jeff03, and I all rode for several hours together.

powhunter

nice ride...thanks for the tour brian....and also for the field surgery on my derailer SP?

It would be nice to do this evefry sunday seems to be working out going early

steve

MR. evil

Had a great time today guys. Steve, how are the battle wounds? I am starting to feel mine. My shoulder & hip are pretty sore and those scrapes sting a little. But it is nothing that will keep me off the bike.

Steve easily gets the award for crash of the day :-o ! While the Poacher gets the award for most entertaining.

bvibert

Staff member
Steve easily gets the award for crash of the day :-o ! While the Poacher gets the award for most entertaining.

Agreed there, too bad we didn't get Johnny's on film, that was classic! :lol:

I'm definitely feeling the effects of todays ride, even though I didn't bite it as hard as either of you. The worst part is that I seemed to have sprained my wrist at some point. :(

MR. evil

Agreed there, too bad we didn't get Johnny's on film, that was classic! :lol:

I'm definitely feeling the effects of todays ride, even though I didn't bite it as hard as either of you. The worst part is that I seemed to have sprained my wrist at some point. :(

I was thinking the same thing about Johnny's crash. Greg actually put his camera away just before that crash.

My right side (shoulder and hip) is sore from those two falls I had. I actually think the first one on that sharp corner hurt more than the one off that ramp. But what hurts most is my left ankle where I took a pedal to that bone that bumps out on the inside of the ankle (what is that none called?). Anyway, that really freakin hurts and is turning a nice shade of purple.

If you can help it, when you fall never try to catch yourself with an out stretched arm. You can easily sprain and even break your wrist. It is better to take the impact to the body. I think my fall off that ramp looked alot worse than it actually was as I intentionally fell in a way that placed as much surface area of my body as possible in contact with the ground. That way the force is spread over a large surface area instead of being localized in a small area and possibly causing alot of damage. I am not saying it didn't hurt. But is would have hurt a hell of a lot more if I landed hard on the hip or shoulder. Learning how to take a fall is by far the most usefull thing I have learned in 13 plus years or martial arts training.

Tim

Last edited:

o3jeff

Had a great time riding with everyone and thanks Brian for showing us some good trails and then finding our way back out. Just gave the bike a quick wash down and everything seems intact/working.

We may not be the best riders, but we sure do have a good time out there.

Greg

Staff member

+1

Lots of fun with you guys today. I'm starting to become addicted. Lots of cool little shots of singletrack at Nepaug. It will be great once we all have enough experience there to put a longer consistent route together. Still, Brian did a good job showing us around given his limited experience there. Some of those stunts are pretty sick and I am 100% okay with myself if I never, ever try them. :-o

Got some vid and I'll work up something tonight. Steve's crash was the most dramatic. I only fell once and nobody was around to enjoy it. Dialing back the release tension on the SPDs saved me today from the bumps and bruises I endured last week. Great riding with the crew again!

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you guys felt you got an adequate tour. I was happy to show you around what I knew.

MR. evil

You and Greg are alot better than you have both lead on. And we had some pretty tough conditions today. Man were those roots slick.

bvibert

Staff member
I was too busy trying to figure out where we were going most of the time to see much riding, but it sure seemed like everyone was able to keep up with the pace without any problems. Next time I lead I'll know where I'm going and I won't hold back.. ;)

Greg

Staff member

Greg

Staff member
You and Greg are alot better than you have both lead on. And we had some pretty tough conditions today. Man were those roots slick.

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. I told you I did do this at one point, a pretty long time ago... My confidence is coming back, slowly. Speaking of confidence, I was very impressed with Jeff today. He was about twice as confident as he was last week. I can tell the guy is hooked given all his posting in this forum lately... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Vids

Enjoy:

High res is still uploading. It's here, but give it until about 11 pm before attempting to download.

MR. evil

I think I have watch that last 20 seconds about 10 times already. I love the slow mo sound effects

And for the record, earlier in the ride I did make it over that log clean. Those 2 failed attempts were on the return trip.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work on the video Greg, thanks! We're almost as steezy as those other videos. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the video Greg, but after watching the links Tim posted, we have a long way to go

Not sure about you, but I have no intention of taking this that far. :-o I'll just stick to cross country, thanks.... :lol:

powhunter

Not sure about you, but I have no intention of taking this that far. :-o I'll just stick to cross country, thanks.... :lol:

yea that is same crazy shit.......XC is really all I want to do.....to stay in shape for the bumps

steve

Greg

Staff member