• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How would identify yourself?

S

SherpaKroto

Nice site! First time poster here.

I'm a peakbagger. Any peak, no matter how small. I hike in all 4 seasons. Do I love the outdoors? Absolutely! I try to get out at least once a month, mostly day trips with 4-5 backpack trips a year thrown in. I hike mostly in NH and Maine, both solo and in groups. My motivation is both for the views and to remember why we are here (and to escape the office!. - SherpaKroto

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i guess i would consider myself to be a Day Hiker... because i don't think i fit the definitions of backpacker or peakbagger.

i don't do over nights, only day trips, so i am definately not a backpacker. however, i only hike mountains, and i am hiking mountains on the NH4K list. however, i am not pursuing that list... and if i were to never finish it i could care less. i use the list as a suggested hiking list.

i love vertical, hiking on rocks, near cliffs, the view from the top, and i love the journey getting there and back. i don't hike to "bag" a peak, i hike mountains cause i love the mountains. same reason i ski in the winter time. so i don't consider myself a peak bagger as i do not have goals or am not determined to hike a list, or am not only pursuing hiking for the sake of reaching a summit, sometimes the best views and most interesting parts of a mountain are not the summit (for example, i consider the cliffs below whiteface's summit far more interesting than the summit itself-not the actual summit, but that area considered by most to be the summit).

i'm sure that's not the exact definition or denotation of the word 'peakbagger' but it brings connotations to mind i don't associate with.

W

woodchuck

I've always loved to backpack. To me, the cooking and sleeping out is a big part of the experience even though I do more dayhikes than overnighters. I spent a year in the infantry in Viet Nam and swore that I would never sleep outside or carry a pack again but I never got it out of my system. I just love the 'outdoor experience'.

B

baume 66

I would consider myself a backpacker. The only itenerary I set up is when and where I'm starting and when and where I'm ending with some idea of they route I will take. It is all subject to change depending on how many roses I stop to smell.

ScottySkis

I'm fairly new to message forums. I post on TrailTalk and like it there. Have recently begun preparing to start backpacking. Hiking has always been a favorite activity. I admit that I have no expertise to offer this forum, and I do ask a lot of questions. Sorry if that annoys some people. I'm married with two elementary school age kids, and am a girl scout leader.

They did Mt Snow got about 5 inches this morning.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

pedxing

I'm more of a day hiker.

Looked like a pretty rough crowd back in 2001!
It was at first - this was partly because Greg went to other boards to promote this one. Some posters were territorial and came here to make life hard for him, but others came out of curiosity or because this was more regional than some of the boards Greg posted on. I think Greg handled it pretty well and slowly built this board (there was a time when even a few years in, I was one of people with the most posts).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's a helluva bump lol. I love backpacking but tough to get a weekend away to do not now. Mostly day hiking and closer to home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

hammer

Day hiker here...go for the enjoyment of it, have enough other things in life that I get all goal-oriented about. Have no interest in going on death marches with a bunch of overly-enthusiastic peak baggers.

Actually looking into hikes with minimal climbing so we can bring the dogs (steep trails are not too good for dachshunds).

Just did Welch-Dickey this past weekend which is a fantastic hike IMO.

Last edited:

Bergamo

Day hiker looking for views. Would enjoy getting out the old Tioga for a few days out now and then; busy family life, as many of you have and know.

Greg

Staff member
Wow. Old thread! lol. I'd call myself an "other". As in, I don't hike anywhere as often as I did 10, 15, or even 20+ years ago. Although my kids really seem to like hiking. We day-hiked Race Brook Falls to Mount Race earlier this summer which was one of my first TRs here. I'm 40 now, but if I can remain healthy and in reasonable hiking shape, I would love to show them some hikes in the Whites someday...

Bergamo

Wow. Old thread! lol. I'd call myself an "other". As in, I don't hike anywhere as often as I did 10, 15, or even 20+ years ago. Although my kids really seem to like hiking. We day-hiked Race Brook Falls to Mount Race earlier this summer which was one of my first TRs here. I'm 40 now, but if I can remain healthy and in reasonable hiking shape, I would love to show them some hikes in the Whites someday...

I hit the hiking re-start button at 58. No worries;No quick step marathons;my partner is slower than me allowing her to observe the natural world ; thus re-focusing my wadering mind and making for pleasurable trips and memories. You have many years ahead of you.

bigbog

.......As in, I don't hike anywhere as often as I did 10, 15, or even 20+ years ago..........I'm 40 now, but if I can remain healthy and in reasonable hiking shape, I would love to show them some hikes in the Whites someday...

The "showing others" places we've known...that are *off-the-beaten-tracks* is the greatest fun I get out of it all....
As wilderness gets developed more and more...one often has to push further "out" to experience the unspoiled part of the outdoors, especially here in the East....

SteveD