Find me a bike - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Find me a bike

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Yes my bike was less than that, but I also got a great deal online. At a bike shop, $1500 is the very low end for FS. With something like an Ibex ,or a close out deal online you can get a nice bike for $1500. Even though I only paid $1100 for my bike (on sale from $1300) it would have gone for close to $2000 in a bike shop.
    Gotcha. I think I merged your two posts together and thought you meant an Ibex FS at $1,500 wasn't much of a bike. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.

I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    The common wisdom (that I happen to agree with) is that you should ride a Hard tail w/ front suspension for a few years before moving to FS. Starting off on a HT will also make you a much better rider when you eventually move onto a FS.
    How about a month or so more on my rigid bike? Not to be arrogant but I think I progress at things like biking a good amount faster than a normal person. Like I said earlier, my ride on Sunday was my one week anniversary from when I started riding. Before that they last time I ever mountain biked was in middle school, and even then I only went like 5 times a year and did barely any single track (nothing challenging at all).

Also, what is the reasoning behind riding a HT for a few year before riding a FS?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Gotcha. I think I merged your two posts together and thought you meant an Ibex FS at $1,500 wasn't much of a bike. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.
    Yeah, the orange is quite radical. I think I might get it for that reason alone.

BTW: I got another flat today... I think it is time for some new tires. Also the north side of Lynn woods in retardedly difficult. The easiest thing I did today was a fair amount harder than the hardest thing we did on Sunday. I would call today more a hike then a bike since I was walking it about 60% of the time.

that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.
    Yes it is!

I almost bought an Asta. I ended up getting the Atlas becuase at the time my lower back was really bothering me and I wanted a more up-right riding position.

If you know you are going to ride then I would step up and buy the FS off the bat.

This bike
    Same as bike above but with better components and suspension. Also right at your max budget. If you are determined to go FS get this one, the extra money will pay for itself in the long run
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html
    Seems like a decent deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    Seems like a decent deal.
    Perhaps, but again the most important thing is that it's radical looking in orange:

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    How about a month or so more on my rigid bike? Not to be arrogant but I think I progress at things like biking a good amount faster than a normal person. Like I said earlier, my ride on Sunday was my one week anniversary from when I started riding. Before that they last time I ever mountain biked was in middle school, and even then I only went like 5 times a year and did barely any single track (nothing challenging at all).
    If it's that old stump-jumper, it's a little old, but a really sweet bike. Unless the steel is rusting away fix that up and ride it for a bit. Spend the money on the full suspension.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Perhaps, but again the most important thing is that it's radical looking in orange:

Tru dat.

How much travel are in those shocks do you know. I hate the metrics.
    I would look for a set up with 5 inches of travel.

My bike is old and only has three. The extra two inches make a lot of differance.

Tru dat.

My bike is old and only has three. The extra two inches make a lot of differance.
    "Triple-Butted 6069 Aluminum w/ 4" Travel"

Tru dat.

100mm equals about 4 inches.

I think you'd have to go to more of an AM setup (like the Atlas) to get into the 5 inch range
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    100mm equals about 4 inches.

I think you'd have to go to more of an AM setup (like the Atlas) to get into the 5 inch range
    Looks like their Ignition series is 5" too.

Austin's not exactly a heavy guy. I would imagine that makes a difference with him being less likely to bottom out on a bike with less travel, no?

Thread Information