Find me a bike - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Find me a bike

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    100mm equals about 4 inches.

I think you'd have to go to more of an AM setup (like the Atlas) to get into the 5 inch range
    Unless you are going to be racing it cc i would sacrifice a little speed for the extra travel. You will be able take bigger hits and go faster through the rock gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    Unless you are going to be racing it cc i would sacrifice a little speed for the extra travel. You will be able take bigger hits and go faster through the rock gardens.
    I agree. I think an AM setup would suit Austin and his craziness better anyway. He's got enough energy to push that extra weight around.
    Brian

I was just looking at the atlas pro. That bike is bad ass. I wonder if my girl would notice if I swapped out my bike. HMMM
    The price of that thing is very reasonable for what you are getting.

Damn, this is all making want to go get a new bike.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    I was just looking at the atlas pro. That bike is bad ass. I wonder if my girl would notice if I swapped out my bike. HMMM
    The price of that thing is very reasonable for what you are getting.
    All the Atlas models are sold out, though they still have frames.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    How about a month or so more on my rigid bike? Not to be arrogant but I think I progress at things like biking a good amount faster than a normal person. Like I said earlier, my ride on Sunday was my one week anniversary from when I started riding. Before that they last time I ever mountain biked was in middle school, and even then I only went like 5 times a year and did barely any single track (nothing challenging at all).

Also, what is the reasoning behind riding a HT for a few year before riding a FS?
    Mainly learning on a HT teaches you how to pump because your body is the shock. Knees & elbows need to be bent to traverse roots & clear rock sections to keep the wheels in contact with the terrain. Once you gain the skill of riding a HT keeping up with & passing FS bikes you are a animal. Now you get off the HT & start riding that new FS bike & all the roots N rocks turn flat, the pumping you were doing to clear these obstacles is now acceleration & your now waiting for your friends to catch up. When climbing hills with roots the rear tire stays planted with a FS where the HT bounces over loosing traction forcing you into working harder.

You might be the exception to the rule Austin as you already have some impressive bike skills. But keep a couple things in mind. FS bike are more expensive to buy, but they are also more expensive to maintain. There are a lot more things to break / go wrong with a FS bike. Being a college student you might want to keep that in mind. I also don’t think you really need a 5” AM rig. At your weight a good 4” XC bike should be more than enough. I would like to hear what Marc has to say

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    At your weight a good 4” XC bike should be more than enough. I would like to hear what Marc has to say
    This is probably true, what does he weigh, like 100 pounds soaking wet?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    This is probably true, what does he weigh, like 100 pounds soaking wet?
    Perfect weight for a lady his height....

Like I should talk.
    I ski double black diamonds.

You might be the exception to the rule Austin as you already have some impressive bike skills. But keep a couple things in mind. FS bike are more expensive to buy, but they are also more expensive to maintain. There are a lot more things to break / go wrong with a FS bike. Being a college student you might want to keep that in mind. I also don’t think you really need a 5” AM rig. At your weight a good 4” XC bike should be more than enough. I would like to hear what Marc has to say

Whats the down side of 5 inches of travel vs 4 inches.

I do not find the FS to an anymore expensive for upkeep. If you are tinkerer it will be more expensive. I beleive if it aint broke dont fix it. Tinkerers do more harm than good.

I don't think my body wants to be the shock for the hard tail too much longer since it is warning me with some pain.

Thread Information