• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

awf170

This all gibberish to me. So Marc and Tim, if you were in my shoes would you buy this bike?

BTW: Marc I'm going to be like 5 minutes away from you house tomorrow morning. Wanna let me borrow your bike? ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
This all gibberish to me. So Marc and Tim, if you were in my shoes would you buy this bike?

BTW: Marc I'm going to be like 5 minutes away from you house tomorrow morning. Wanna let me borrow your bike? ;)

If I were in your shoes I would just send a bunch of money to me for the hell of it.

Greg

Staff member
Well, FWIW, Brian, Jeff and I met Nate yesterday and he seems like a real stand-up guy so I wouldn't have any concern from that standpoint.

MR. evil

Austin,

IMO that is a pretty good deal on what I feel is a great bike. But what I think is a great bike you may not end up liking on the trail where it counts. Like I said before, I love Hecklers. But truth be told you will most likely have to change your riding style to accommodate this bike. I have only ridden with you once, but the few times I was behind you during the ride I noticed that you like to stand and pedal while climbing. Typically the rear end on single pivot bikes bob when riders stand while climbing. For me this is not a big deal because I like to sit. So if you want a bike that you can really hammer away on the climbs this is probably not it.

I would recommend that you arrange a time you can hook up with Nate and check out the bike first hand (see if Marc can tag along). It would be even better if you and Nate could meet for an easy ride so you could test the bike out on the trails. Nothing too serious, just enough so you can get a feel for the bike and weather or not you like it. I also think you should take some time and visit several bike shops and test out bikes with different suspension designs. Like I said before you may not like the feel of a single pivot (Heckler), but love a four bar (Kona, Transition ……) or DW link (Iron Horse) or Maestro(Giant).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I agree with Timbo... if there's any way you can ride the bike first, do it, by all means. Except by way of shooting Nate and then riding the bike, because we all know that's not a good way to make a good first impression.

tjf67

Seeing as how mine name is tim as well I will jump in. It sounds like a deal to me. GET it and take the few hundi and set it aside for any repairs. I dont think you ae going to have any but you never know.
Tim and Marc know way more than I ever want to know. What I do know is that you are geting an 1800 dollar bike for 700. The wieght is in line. The suspension is up to speed and it seems well maintained. You being 135llb are not going to be able to damage it that much. That is if you land of the tires.
Pull trigger and take the extra money and buy aseason pass.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, still, riding it with a rear shock spring being used by a 200+ lb guy isn't going to be all the comfortable, but at least you can check out all the claims Nate makes about the bike's state of repair.

MR. evil

Well, still, riding it with a rear shock spring being used by a 200+ lb guy isn't going to be all the comfortable, but at least you can check out all the claims Nate makes about the bike's state of repair.

you will def. need a new spring. But a steel spring will run about $30, a Ti spring similar to what is already on the bike will be $250. But the only reason to get a Ti spring is to save weight.

Crankfire

Website
www.crankfire.com
I agree with Timbo... if there's any way you can ride the bike first, do it, by all means. Except by way of shooting Nate and then riding the bike, because we all know that's not a good way to make a good first impression.
Whoa... don't shoot! :)

But, yeah, just let me know when you want a test ride. The spring, yeah, the bike will probably feel rigid to you! Another thing to think about too is sticking an air shock on there, that will definitely give it more of a stable feeling - especially something like the fox dhx 5 airs - their propedal stuff is amazing. Of course, overall, being sprung is always more plush, but right now I am riding air on my new (single pivot) bike and it is a world of difference!

MR. evil

Whoa... don't shoot! :)

But, yeah, just let me know when you want a test ride. The spring, yeah, the bike will probably feel rigid to you! Another thing to think about too is sticking an air shock on there, that will definitely give it more of a stable feeling - especially something like the fox dhx 5 airs - their propedal stuff is amazing. Of course, overall, being sprung is always more plush, but right now I am riding air on my new (single pivot) bike and it is a world of difference!

This sounds like a good excuse for another AZ ride.

awf170

Austin,

IMO that is a pretty good deal on what I feel is a great bike. But what I think is a great bike you may not end up liking on the trail where it counts. Like I said before, I love Hecklers. But truth be told you will most likely have to change your riding style to accommodate this bike. I have only ridden with you once, but the few times I was behind you during the ride I noticed that you like to stand and pedal while climbing. Typically the rear end on single pivot bikes bob when riders stand while climbing. For me this is not a big deal because I like to sit. So if you want a bike that you can really hammer away on the climbs this is probably not it.

I would recommend that you arrange a time you can hook up with Nate and check out the bike first hand (see if Marc can tag along). It would be even better if you and Nate could meet for an easy ride so you could test the bike out on the trails. Nothing too serious, just enough so you can get a feel for the bike and weather or not you like it. I also think you should take some time and visit several bike shops and test out bikes with different suspension designs. Like I said before you may not like the feel of a single pivot (Heckler), but love a four bar (Kona, Transition ……) or DW link (Iron Horse) or Maestro(Giant).

I was standing because I had a two speed bike! If I down shifted I would have been spinning horribly. But yeah, I do like to stand on short climbs. But I sit on basically any difficult climbs because it is what I'm used to. Lynn woods (where I will bike 80% of the time) has so much loose rock that standing would make any steep climb impossible. Can't I just lock the spring out?

I have developed a riding style?! This is only my second week riding, I'm pretty sure my style could change completely after about 5 rides. It's not like I have any technique to began with.

I always hear people suggesting going to a bike shop, but what do you gain out just riding around a parking lot? What does that tell you about a bike? It's just deciding on a pair of skiing by trying them on a groomed green run.

...I need a new bike soon. Someone I managed to warp the back rim pretty badly so the brake pads rub pretty horribly or they are so far away that the brake trigger touches the handle bar when I brake.

MR. evil

I was standing because I had a two speed bike! If I down shifted I would have been spinning horribly. But yeah, I do like to stand on short climbs. But I sit on basically any difficult climbs because it is what I'm used to. Lynn woods (where I will bike 80% of the time) has so much loose rock that standing would make any steep climb impossible. Can't I just lock the spring out?

I have developed a riding style?! This is only my second week riding, I'm pretty sure my style could change completely after about 5 rides. It's not like I have any technique to began with.

I always hear people suggesting going to a bike shop, but what do you gain out just riding around a parking lot? What does that tell you about a bike? It's just deciding on a pair of skiing by trying them on a groomed green run.

...I need a new bike soon. Someone I managed to warp the back rim pretty badly so the brake pads rub pretty horribly or they are so far away that the brake trigger touches the handle bar when I brake.

Arrange a time to meet Nate and check out this bike. I doubt that shock has a lock out, I have never seen a coil shock with one. But for the price you are getting that bike you could always get a new rear air shock with a lock out.

or

Get the Ibex Asta. It has a different frame design and will climb much better. Components are about equal to Nates Heckler, but they are new. And with your weight the bike can handle some occasional rough stuff no prob.

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

We can true your rim fairly easily. Have you bought new shifters/levers yet?