• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

eatskisleep

I have developed a riding style?! This is only my second week riding, I'm pretty sure my style could change completely after about 5 rides. It's not like I have any technique to began with.

Which is why you should try out more disciplines of biking before you get a bike IMO. Give downhill a try, most people that do it find it somewhat similar to glade skiing, all the trails are in the woods and very rarely do you find stuff out in the open. I see lots of people that ride Lynn on full out DH bikes and love it. Personally I think a hardtail works great there though with a beefy build.

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203292&highlight=lynn

It all comes down to what you like, but I really don't think you can tell just what you like after only a few rides.

BTW if you like climbs, I tryed out a Cannondale Prophet today and it climbed great, I was climing things I never imagine climbable before.

cbcbd

Wow, I've never seen MTB made so complicated as in this thread... let the boy ride :D

awf170

Which is why you should try out more disciplines of biking before you get a bike IMO. Give downhill a try, most people that do it find it somewhat similar to glade skiing, all the trails are in the woods and very rarely do you find stuff out in the open. I see lots of people that ride Lynn on full out DH bikes and love it. Personally I think a hardtail works great there though with a beefy build.

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203292&highlight=lynn

It all comes down to what you like, but I really don't think you can tell just what you like after only a few rides.

BTW if you like climbs, I tryed out a Cannondale Prophet today and it climbed great, I was climing things I never imagine climbable before.

Yeah, I guess I don't know for a fact that I don't want to downhill, but I'm pretty darn sure. I want to able to climb too, going uphill and suffering is fun for me, regardless of sport. Just standing around picking lines and jumps then walking your bike back uphill is like the park skiing is of biking. I mean I do want to do stuff like that occasionally but most the time I'll want to do a lot of climbing with maybe a few drops thrown in.

Let's compare it to my skiing. I do like to do stupid crap, get air of everything, and ski fast... But that is not even half my days. To end of this season I toured 29 out of my 31 of my days since mid-march. Most those days were spent just making nice big turns, skiing pretty in control and not hucking anything.

So basically I expect my biking to be similar to my skiing. About half chill good work out days, and half being dumb days. Another note is that I will be riding by myself most of the time meaning that I really can't be that stupid.

BTW Crankfire guy. When would be a good day to meet up and try your bike?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
But you want something that will be fun at Killington, since you're going this year. Unlike Justin's bike, which will be the exact opposite of fun.

MR. evil

So basically I expect my biking to be similar to my skiing. About half chill good work out days, and half being dumb days. Another note is that I will be riding by myself most of the time meaning that I really can't be that stupid.

BTW Crankfire guy. When would be a good day to meet up and try your bike?

Then IMO the Heckler will be a perfect fit.

awf170

But you want something that will be fun at Killington, since you're going this year. Unlike Justin's bike, which will be the exact opposite of fun.

Justin bike isn't that bad... I mean it does have one XT component.

BTW, when are you guys going?

eatskisleep

Austin, going to Attitash until Sunday or Monday, text me if you wanna meet up.

awf170

Bump... Nate sold his bike so I'm back looking again.

I'm pretty sold on this bike right now:
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html
I'm just hoping that it might go on sale soon since the '08 models should be coming out in a couple of months.

Anyone know of any good deals that are going on right now?

I think I just enjoy technical up hills too much to get something over 30 pounds. I can deal with a rougher ride and general and not being able to take huge drops, but I don't think I could deal with a bike that climbs worse than the bike I have now. If I ended up getting a bike with about 6 inches of travel and 34ish pounds and it climbed worse than the bike I have now I would just end up getting pissed off and want to go back to my rigid.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You'd be able to take any drop your balls could handle on a 5" travel bike, being that you only weigh 135 lbs or whatever it is. Plus you have long limbs... good for shock absorption.

Remember, mountain bike suspension gives you inches of travel... your limbs give you feet of travel.

o3jeff

Were I got my bike from they had a Cannondale Prophet 4( I am almost positive it was a 4) there for $1299. It was Large flat black and I think it has Sram X7 components. If you want I will PM you the dealer.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
All right... any opinions on the bike?

Well, I know that the Dave Weagle suspension design is a very good one. A lot of people really like it. It almost has a cult following. I've heard pretty good things about Iron Horse. Looks like a good deal to me.

Although a 5" travel bike under 30 lbs really isn't as rare or amazing a thing as they claim, still a good deal.

eatskisleep

My opinion? Based on what you like to ride i.e. lynn, its a great bike. Throw a bashguard on there and you're all set.