• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

MR. evil

My opinion? Based on what you like to ride i.e. lynn, its a great bike. Throw a bashguard on there and you're all set.

Did you order it?

Agreed on the bashguard. Also swap out the middle ring from the 32 tooth that comes on the bike to a 34 or 36 tooth. That will help make up for the loss of the big ring.

Greg

Staff member
What's the actual benefit of a bashguard? Can't the big ring simply act as one? Or does a true bash guard also protect the inner rings too?

awf170

All right I'm almost convinced to order this bike, just got to check how much money I actually have left before I pull the trigger. With the purchase of this bike plus rising gas prices I might not be doing too much lift served skiing this season.

MR. evil

What's the actual benefit of a bashguard? Can't the big ring simply act as one? Or does a true bash guard also protect the inner rings too?

For one a Bash Guard is allot heavier duty than a chain ring and can take allot more abuse. Plus removing your large ring and replacing it with a Bash guard will give you more clearance for getting over stuff. Some people leave the big ring on and use it as a sacrificial ring. The only problem with that is the large ring will eventually bend / warp and effect you middle ring performance.

MR. evil

Here is another bike that seems like a good deal.

http://ridingbicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=5190

They only have it in an XL, not sure if that would be slightly too big for me. I do have very long limbs though.

Go with the Iron hourse. The DW link suspension is a much better design than the specialized Horst Link. Plus the DHX 5 Air rear shock on the Specialized is a complete peice of crap. It has no mid stroke and blows right thru its travel. Plus IMO XL would be too big.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Go with the Iron hourse. The DW link suspension is a much better design than the specialized Horst Link. Plus the DHX 5 Air rear shock on the Specialized is a complete peice of crap. It has no mid stroke and blows right thru its travel. Plus IMO XL would be too big.

The "IMO," should go for the second sentence too. The Horst link isn't a Specialized design. They just got to the patent office first.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Most of the boutique brands use the Horst design. Let me know when an Ellsworth, Turner or Ventana owner tells you they'd rather have the DW suspension.

They're both good designs. If Austin rides like me, he probably couldn't tell much difference between DW and the Horst design. Most of it comes down to personal preference and I'd bet my paycheck a large number of people couldn't tell the difference in a double blind test.

MR. evil

Most of the boutique brands use the Horst design. Let me know when an Ellsworth, Turner or Ventana owner tells you they'd rather have the DW suspension.

They're both good designs. If Austin rides like me, he probably couldn't tell much difference between DW and the Horst design. Most of it comes down to personal preference and I'd bet my paycheck a large number of people couldn't tell the difference in a double blind test.

What are you thoughts on the DHX 5 Air?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't know much about it. I'm not really up on the latest generation of rear shocks. All my experiences with Fox products have been good. I have a Fox Foat RL on my GT and it's been nothing but good to me. Easy to adjust, easy to service. All I do is once a year take out the shock, regrease the bolt bushings, take off the sleeve and clean and regrease the o rings and put it back together. Takes about an hour. I'd trust a Fox shock before I'd trust one of the Specialized brand shocks, I know that much.

MR. evil

I don't know much about it. I'm not really up on the latest generation of rear shocks. All my experiences with Fox products have been good. I have a Fox Foat RL on my GT and it's been nothing but good to me. Easy to adjust, easy to service. All I do is once a year take out the shock, regrease the bolt bushings, take off the sleeve and clean and regrease the o rings and put it back together. Takes about an hour. I'd trust a Fox shock before I'd trust one of the Specialized brand shocks, I know that much.

I would agree with you about Fox shocks, with the exception of the DHX 5 Air. They just drooped the ball with that one. Load of people complaining about them online. I guy I know had one that came with his Spech Enduro and it has been nothing but a hassle. The thing just has no mid-stroke.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
One complaint I have heard about the Fox shocks is that the pro pedal, and the similarly the last generation brain shocks are rough over small stuff since they don't absorb small stuff and basically ride like a hard tail until you hit a bump big enough to activate the shock. The few people I talk to prefer just to have an efficient suspension geometry and let the shock do it's thing over small stuff, or alternatively, have a manual lockout for those times you really want it stiff.

MR. evil

One complaint I have heard about the Fox shocks is that the pro pedal, and the similarly the last generation brain shocks are rough over small stuff since they don't absorb small stuff and basically ride like a hard tail until you hit a bump big enough to activate the shock. The few people I talk to prefer just to have an efficient suspension geometry and let the shock do it's thing over small stuff, or alternatively, have a manual lockout for those times you really want it stiff.

Well the propedal on the high end Fox stuff has many settings from no platform to extremly stiff. So you can play with it till you find the sweet spot

awf170

I got the MKIII... any guesses to how long it takes for me to hurt myself so I am unable to ride it? I'm not sure that I trust myself on a FS, I'm stupid enough on a rigid that I'm scared is going to fall apart on me at any moment.

BTW, I think I'm going to convert my current bike to a SS. I'll use it for getting around college and days I really want to suffer. At least it will weigh around 20 pounds.

MKIII:
ihmk3comp.jpg

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I got the MKIII... any guesses to how long it takes for me to hurt myself so I am unable to ride it? I'm not sure that I trust myself on a FS, I'm stupid enough on a rigid that I'm scared is going to fall apart on me at any moment.

BTW, I think I'm going to convert my current bike to a SS. I'll use it for getting around college and days I really want to suffer. At least it will weight around 20 pounds.

Sweet post some picks of the carnage. :)

bvibert

Staff member
Sweet looking bike Austin! It should work well for you. Congrats on the purchase. I can't wait to see it in action. :D