Find me a bike - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Find me a bike

How tall are you? I just happen have a couple bikes for sale

1) 2005 Large Santa Cruz Heckler: http://www.crankfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6982
    Looking to get $700ish. If it fits you, this bike fits the riding style you are looking for. Pedals very nice and is a great ride.

2) 2006 Medium Santa Cruz VPFree: I don't have it posted up for sale yet, but it is a bad ass bike. Pedals amazing for what it is, though at the same time, it's a bit hefty and made to jump off things, not climb up things as much - but it gets you there. I rode all last year on it, its a very fun bike. Asking $1500, I can get pics and info up if interested.

That's it really. Good luck!
    Crankfire.com - New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

Quote Originally Posted by Crankfire View Post
    1) 2005 Large Santa Cruz Heckler: http://www.crankfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6982
    Looking to get $700ish. If it fits you, this bike fits the riding style you are looking for. Pedals very nice and is a great ride.
    There ya go Austin, that might work out well for you. I'm not sure exactly how tall you are, a Large may be too small for you though...
    Brian

Last time I saw a VP Free I noticed it ran large... Medium was big IMO so maybe that is even something to look into although if you really want to get into climbing that wouldn't be the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    There ya go Austin, that might work out well for you. I'm not sure exactly how tall you are, a Large may be too small for you though...
    I'm 6'1" with long legs. How much does that bike weigh? Also what is the travel, 5 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    I'm 6'1" with long legs. How much does that bike weigh? Also what is the travel, 5 inches?
    Yup 5 inches in the back, and the fork is 5 inches. It is nicely balanced

Not sure on the weight, I would guess around 30 pounds though. I will try to find a scale and see what it really is.

Sizewise: I am also 6 foot and a smidge with proportionately lengthed legs, it fit me great. It also has a pretty long stem (120mm) on it right now that I threw on there for a "taller than I" someone else that was going to buy it, but I preferred a much shorter stem on it.

Been trying to find the geometry specs for it for you with no luck so far....

Yup 5 inches in the back, and the fork is 5 inches. It is nicely balanced

Not sure on the weight, I would guess around 30 pounds though. I will try to find a scale and see what it really is.

Sizewise: I am also 6 foot and a smidge with proportionately lengthed legs, it fit me great. It also has a pretty long stem (120mm) on it right now that I threw on there for a "taller than I" someone else that was going to buy it, but I preferred a much shorter stem on it.

Been trying to find the geometry specs for it for you with no luck so far....
    How much do you weigh? Austin would most likely need a much lighter spring on that rear shock.

Not surprised about the rebound knob breaking off the fork. My friend's Manitou from the same era had the exact same thing happen.

How are the hubs/wheel bearings? Were the bearings ever replaced or at least cleaned and greased? Is the freewheel still working well? Do you still have the big chain ring? Was the main pivot in that year bearing or bushing? How often did you clean and grease the rear shock bushings? How often did you change the fork oil? How do the BB bearings feel? How old is the crankset? (That's an ISIS splined crank yes?) Is there any play in the headset? Do you have extra derailleur hangers? Was the one that's on there ever bent and then bent back?

Would you be willing to part anything out? Austin def. wouldn't need a DH crank. Also are the crank bros. pedals SPD compatible? He wouldn't want those either if they aren't since he has SPD pedals on his rigid bike.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Whoa... 3rd degree!!!! Heh, all fair questions though... so here goes:

How much do you weigh?
    215ish

Not surprised about the rebound knob breaking off the fork. My friend's Manitou from the same era had the exact same thing happen.
    I called Manitou because this was apparently common and they sent me whole new rebound internals (which were installed), just no knob.

How are the hubs/wheel bearings? Were the bearings ever replaced or at least cleaned and greased?
    Hubs are Hadley's. I don't remember ever having any maintenance done on them.

Is the freewheel still working well?
    Yup. Again, Hadleys

Do you still have the big chain ring?
    I am sure I can scrounge one up. Though I would really recommend sticking with the bash ring, especially around here and seeing the BB on these Hecklers are not exactly high.

Was the main pivot in that year bearing or bushing?
    Bushings. Never had to replace them, kept 'em clean and tight - still solid/no play.

How often did you clean and grease the rear shock bushings?
    Did my best to keep 'em clean, tight and running smooth.

How often did you change the fork oil?
    This is its second fork actually, so this one only got a little over 1 year of use. And it was "rebuilt" when I had the rebound job done.

How do the BB bearings feel?
    Good. Not 100% sure, but I think I completely replaced the BB at one point.

How old is the crankset?
    2005. Pretty burly crankset too. Drivetrain is in moderate shape overall, probably can get another full season out of it. No guarentees though!!

Is there any play in the headset?
    Nope.

Do you have extra derailleur hangers?
    Nope.

Was the one that's on there ever bent and then bent back?
    Bent one the last year i rode it and it was replaced with a shiny new one. It is straight as an arrow right now!

Would you be willing to part anything out?
    Trying not too, but I will consider offers.

Austin def. wouldn't need a DH crank.
    Ok. But they are tough and not too bad in the weight department!?

Also are the crank bros. pedals SPD compatible?
    Nope, they are Crank Bros

For the 2 years I rode it, overall maintenance was pretty much an early season overhaul from my local bike shop and if anything went wrong/felt weird after that I would fix it or get it fixed. The bike is not perfect, it has been ridden, but overall it is still running strong and has plenty of life left in it. It is rideable "out of the box" so to speak, but I won't lie, it probably could use some upgrades/work. Which is why I am selling it for $700.

Phew!

Whoa... 3rd degree!!!! Heh, all fair questions though... so here goes:

How much do you weigh?
    215ish

I called Manitou because this was apparently common and they sent me whole new rebound internals (which were installed), just no knob.

How are the hubs/wheel bearings? Were the bearings ever replaced or at least cleaned and greased?
    Hubs are Hadley's. I don't remember ever having any maintenance done on them.

Is the freewheel still working well?
    Yup. Again, Hadleys

Do you still have the big chain ring?
    I am sure I can scrounge one up. Though I would really recommend sticking with the bash ring, especially around here and seeing the BB on these Hecklers are not exactly high.

Was the main pivot in that year bearing or bushing?
    Bushings. Never had to replace them, kept 'em clean and tight - still solid/no play.

How often did you clean and grease the rear shock bushings?
    Did my best to keep 'em clean, tight and running smooth.

How often did you change the fork oil?
    This is its second fork actually, so this one only got a little over 1 year of use. And it was "rebuilt" when I had the rebound job done.

How do the BB bearings feel?
    Good. Not 100% sure, but I think I completely replaced the BB at one point.

How old is the crankset?
    2005. Pretty burly crankset too. Drivetrain is in moderate shape overall, probably can get another full season out of it. No guarentees though!!

Is there any play in the headset?
    Nope.

Do you have extra derailleur hangers?
    Nope.

Was the one that's on there ever bent and then bent back?
    Bent one the last year i rode it and it was replaced with a shiny new one. It is straight as an arrow right now!

Would you be willing to part anything out?
    Trying not too, but I will consider offers.

Austin def. wouldn't need a DH crank.
    Ok. But they are tough and not too bad in the weight department!?

Also are the crank bros. pedals SPD compatible?
    Nope, they are Crank Bros

For the 2 years I rode it, overall maintenance was pretty much an early season overhaul from my local bike shop and if anything went wrong/felt weird after that I would fix it or get it fixed. The bike is not perfect, it has been ridden, but overall it is still running strong and has plenty of life left in it. It is rideable "out of the box" so to speak, but I won't lie, it probably could use some upgrades/work. Which is why I am selling it for $700.

Phew!

What is the eye to eye and stroke on the shock?

Austin,
    IMO that is a pretty good deal on a sweet bike. Heckers are pretty much the definition of an all around bike, probably the original AM bike even before there was such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    What is the eye to eye and stroke on the shock?
    Had to look this one up, but the 5th element on it has a 2 inch stroke, but you can apparently go with a 2.25 stroke.

Thread Information