New Ride - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ride

Sweet, Jeff. Gonna have trouble keeping up with you now...

I ski double black diamonds.

I wouldn't say I am any faster, just enjoying it more.

You seemed to be hanging in there pretty well last night Jeff.
    Brian

Nice looking bike. Congrats

You will not be able to climb noticably faster but you will smoke the hardtails on the downhill and bumpy flats.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    The transition from the HT to the FS was very little and started to notice the advantages of FS right when we hit the trails as it smoothed out the ride a lot. With the FS it make climbing up things A LOT easier since it is keeping the rear wheel to the ground instead of bouncing around and even the down hills are nice now without the body taking the abuse. I also noticed very little bob in the rear suspension so it doesn't feel that you are losing any energy through that.

The components are a lot smoother and precise when changing gears and the disk brakes are just awesome, minimal fade and quiet even through the wet and mud. It came with a wide set of handle bars on it and originally thought I would hate them, but am starting to get use to them and the extra stability they seem to give so I plan on giving them a couple more weeks and decide if I want to trim them down or not. They do kinda suck going through some of the tight twisty areas last night, but I didn't clip them into any trees so I guess they aren't that bad.

Overall I am very happy with it and more than met my expectations. I am glad that I did ride the HT for a bit to learn on and maybe should of rode it longer, but this thing makes the ride a lot more fun. The only thing that I don't care for are the tires, they don't self clean and are really slick on the roots, but those are easy fixes and I might put the tires from my old bike on it.

Now I am really looking forward to the next ride just to get out and play some more on it!
    Stick with the wider bars, they will really come in handy during low speed technical sections of a trail. The extra leverage really helps. As for tight trail sections, start using body english to weave through the tight spots. I wouldn't put the tires from you Ht on your new bike. I imagine your new bike has much wider tires than your HT. Also, as long as you sit in the saddle when riding you shouldn't notice any bob. The chain tention of a single pivot FS like yours will keep the rear end from bobing. But if you stand and pedal you will notice the rear end moving. .

The tires spec'ed for the new bike are 2.1 where the tires that were supposed to come on his old bike were 2.0, not really a hug difference. I'd be willing to trade some width for better traction...
    Brian

Visually they appear to be no wider, but will check the sizes tonight.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the wider tires(2.5)?

my preference is a wider tire up front (2.4) and a slighly narrower tire in the rear (2.25).

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of the wider tires(2.5)?
    2.5 is a bit on the large side. but the advantages are better traction & deformation over objects. But they are also much heavier, and additional rotational weight in the wheels is the type of weight most noticable in a bike.

Thread Information