• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ride

gorgonzola

the other thing is to futz around with your inflation pressure - lower will give you more grip for wet conditions & rocks but rolls slower and is more apt to get snake bit (pinch flat) I run at around 35psi and adjust a few #'s either way depending on weather and trail conditions. that supposedly is one of the advatantages of running a tubeless setup is that you don't have to worry about pinch flats at lower pressures

tjf67

the other thing is to futz around with your inflation pressure - lower will give you more grip for wet conditions & rocks but rolls slower and is more apt to get snake bit (pinch flat) I run at around 35psi and adjust a few #'s either way depending on weather and trail conditions. that supposedly is one of the advatantages of running a tubeless setup is that you don't have to worry about pinch flats at lower pressures

You also get a little more travel with the tubless. I have never gottena pinch flat with my tires. I dont understand why people are still using tubes. I run 30lbs and that is a lot of pressure for the tires. I like my tires a little stiffer than normal. I would rather loose a little grip and gain speed.

tjf67

After having the bike out for two rides now, I have to say the tires it came with(CST Caballero) are very non aggressive and overall are pretty shitty. We ride a lot over roots and rocks and they are forever spinning out sliding across the roots.

Anyone have tire recommendations. I looked at a couple websites and they probably had 75-100 different tires to choose from and don't know what to really look for, some are foldable, Kevlar, etc. The wheel width is 23mm and looking online they say you can put up to a 2.30 on it. The factory tire is 2.1 wide. Also should I use same size front and back?

I was at the shop last night looking at the cannondale. They are a great ride. I dont understand the tires on them. It looks like they are set up for people that run fire roads.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You also get a little more travel with the tubless. I have never gottena pinch flat with my tires. I dont understand why people are still using tubes. I run 30lbs and that is a lot of pressure for the tires. I like my tires a little stiffer than normal. I would rather loose a little grip and gain speed.

Some people still need or like to be able to change their tire easily.

o3jeff

Looks like I am leaning towards the WTB Moto Raptor Comp in a 2.24 for front and back. Fairly inexpensive online, but wondering if anyone knows who might sell them locally?

MR. evil

Looks like I am leaning towards the WTB Moto Raptor Comp in a 2.24 for front and back. Fairly inexpensive online, but wondering if anyone knows who might sell them locally?

Another good tire is the WTB Manuto-Raptor.

From our last ride it seemed like you were intrested in possibly switching to a ghetto tubeless setup like I am running. If you do want to go that route I recomend that you get a tire with a steel bead over a kevlar bead. It will be stronger and lock into the wheel much better. I am not sure if the Moto Raptor Comp's have a steel or kevlar bead. Most bike shops have a very limited range of tires on hand. There are just too many choices out there. WTB alone probably has over 30 different tires in the line. So even if you find a shop that stocks WTB tires they may not have the ones you want. Just to order them online.

o3jeff

The Raptor comps have the steel bead while the Comps don't along with the Manutos, that is why I am leaning towards them and the reviews on mtbr have been favorable towards them.

Also, after reading the reviews I just noticed some have been putting the narrower tire to the rear, is that something I should consider or just stick with the 2.24?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The Raptor comps have the steel bead while the Comps don't along with the Manutos, that is why I am leaning towards them and the reviews on mtbr have been favorable towards them.

Also, after reading the reviews I just noticed some have been putting the narrower tire to the rear, is that something I should consider or just stick with the 2.24?

Do whatever's cheapest and easiest. Tires are not something to lose a lot of sleep over. All new tires ride great until you wear down the square edges on the tread anyway.

MR. evil

Alot of people do run a wider tire up front. But the smallest I would run in the rear is 2.24 and then possibly go bigger in the front. That is what I am planning on doing once my tires wear out. 2.24 in the rear and 2.4 in the front.

For now just get 2.24 front and back. See how you like it and then make adjustments with your next set of tires. If you ride alot you will have to change tires atleast once a season if not more

o3jeff

Do whatever's cheapest and easiest. Tires are not something to lose a lot of sleep over. All new tires ride great until you wear down the square edges on the tread anyway.

Good point, just ordered two at $20 each, should be a lot better than what I have.

MR. evil

Good point, just ordered two at $20 each, should be a lot better than what I have.

It is only a good point if you are going to run Tubes. If you going to do the tubeless thing you need to be more selective. You don't need to spend alot, but you do need to avoid tires with weak side walls and beads.

o3jeff

Tires arrived today, unfortunately I drooped the bike off at the shop. There is something wrong with the headset bearings so they are going to replace them. Also while riding I get an annoying squeak in the front disc/hub, of course when you go to demonstrate it to the tech, it doesn't do it. Will be ready for Friday.

o3jeff

The headset had no movement to it, but when you turned it it kinda had a "grinding" feel to it like it might not have been greased enough? The squeaking noise might be the pad, but it is continuous and seems to start after riding a while.

bvibert

Staff member
The squealing definitely seemed to be coming from the brakes, from what I saw/heard it was pretty light and consistent. I'd imagine a little adjustment will take care of it. As for the headset, good to hear that the shop is going to take care of it. Do you have any idea how long you're going to be without your bike?

Greg

Staff member
My new ride...

Trek Fuel EX 7:

fuelex7.jpg

o3jeff

You got it and put it together. great job. Now we will really have a hard time keeping up.

How do you like it?

Greg

Staff member
How do you like it?

So far so good, but I haven't taken it out of the neighborhood. The fit feels perfect. I went with the smaller 18.5" frame (a new offering) which seems about right and should be good for throwing around the narrow Nass twisties. This afternoon will be its maiden voyage in the woods.