New Ride - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: New Ride

  1. #31
    Nice Ride! Those Lefties will never cease to freak me out a bit - I don't know if I could ever bring myself to ride one, but for purely aesthetic reasons!

    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    Nice Ride! Those Lefties will never cease to freak me out a bit - I don't know if I could ever bring myself to ride one, but for purely aesthetic reasons!
    I am the same way. Something about it just looks structurally wrong. But all the reviews on them are great! But I still don't know if i could own one.

  3. #33
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    Nice Ride! Those Lefties will never cease to freak me out a bit - I don't know if I could ever bring myself to ride one, but for purely aesthetic reasons!
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    I am the same way. Something about it just looks structurally wrong. But all the reviews on them are great! But I still don't know if i could own one.
    I've thought the same thing since I first saw them. After hearing all the reviews I want to try one. I won't be buying a new bike anytime soon anyway, but I'd consider a Lefty if I were...
    Brian

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    Riding you don't even notice it, but like I said when you are stopped, it is the oddest looking thing.

  5. #35
    hey and you don't have to take the wheel off to fix a flat! i wonder if they'll ever do an asymmetrical chainstay like you see on sport bike motorcycles?
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    After having the bike out for two rides now, I have to say the tires it came with(CST Caballero) are very non aggressive and overall are pretty shitty. We ride a lot over roots and rocks and they are forever spinning out sliding across the roots.

    Anyone have tire recommendations. I looked at a couple websites and they probably had 75-100 different tires to choose from and don't know what to really look for, some are foldable, Kevlar, etc. The wheel width is 23mm and looking online they say you can put up to a 2.30 on it. The factory tire is 2.1 wide. Also should I use same size front and back?

  7. #37
    Check out Kenda and WTB. Both make a quality tire you can usually find for the right price. Don't get too hung up on sizes. I try and stay around the 2.1 - 2.2 neighborhood just so I can use a variety of tube widths in a pinch if necessary.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    After having the bike out for two rides now, I have to say the tires it came with(CST Caballero) are very non aggressive and overall are pretty shitty. We ride a lot over roots and rocks and they are forever spinning out sliding across the roots.

    Anyone have tire recommendations. I looked at a couple websites and they probably had 75-100 different tires to choose from and don't know what to really look for, some are foldable, Kevlar, etc. The wheel width is 23mm and looking online they say you can put up to a 2.30 on it. The factory tire is 2.1 wide. Also should I use same size front and back?
    For size I would go with 2.25 to 2.3 (bigger is better). I will also put in a nod for WTB tires. I am currently riding the Moto Raptors and they are a good all around tire. The only issue that they don't shed mud that well. Remember that tires are a personal preferenece. Just read reviews on MTBR and you will what I mean. For any given tire half the people will love it and half will say it sucks.

    If you ever plan to convert you wheels to tubles with Stan's kit or Ghetto style like I did, make sure you get a tire with a steel / wire bead instead of a kevlar bead. If you plan on running tubes get the kevlar bead as its easier to put on a wheel and lighter.

  9. #39
    i'm running maxxis high roller 2.35's (with tubes) and am likin 'em alot for an all around tire. i see a lot of kenda nevagals out there on the trails also. i also like panaracer fire xc pros 2.1 for a cheap tire on the hardtail to goof around on - again a pretty decent all around tire
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

  10. #40
    Dude, nice bike! but yeah, I'm also in the "looks like a 3-legged dog" club... sure he can catch that frisbee and chase after cars just like the other dogs... but something looks off


    And about tires... roots, especially wet roots, are very hard to gain traction on. Sometimes I have found its just a matter of knowing when to pedal or when to go easy as to not spin out on certain terrain... but in any case, I'd keep your old tires around... you never know when you might be going on some mellow ride or taking the bike on some rail-to-trail with your honey - much better to switch tires for those rides and save your good ones for the gnar gnar.

    ride on... ride on...


    oh yeah, I've had Maxxis Minion DH 2.35 and have treated me wheel... yeah, its really personal preferences.
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:07 AM.