New Ride - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ride

the other thing is to futz around with your inflation pressure - lower will give you more grip for wet conditions & rocks but rolls slower and is more apt to get snake bit (pinch flat) I run at around 35psi and adjust a few #'s either way depending on weather and trail conditions. that supposedly is one of the advatantages of running a tubeless setup is that you don't have to worry about pinch flats at lower pressures

"that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    the other thing is to futz around with your inflation pressure - lower will give you more grip for wet conditions & rocks but rolls slower and is more apt to get snake bit (pinch flat) I run at around 35psi and adjust a few #'s either way depending on weather and trail conditions. that supposedly is one of the advatantages of running a tubeless setup is that you don't have to worry about pinch flats at lower pressures

You also get a little more travel with the tubless. I have never gottena pinch flat with my tires. I dont understand why people are still using tubes. I run 30lbs and that is a lot of pressure for the tires. I like my tires a little stiffer than normal. I would rather loose a little grip and gain speed.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    After having the bike out for two rides now, I have to say the tires it came with(CST Caballero) are very non aggressive and overall are pretty shitty. We ride a lot over roots and rocks and they are forever spinning out sliding across the roots.

Anyone have tire recommendations. I looked at a couple websites and they probably had 75-100 different tires to choose from and don't know what to really look for, some are foldable, Kevlar, etc. The wheel width is 23mm and looking online they say you can put up to a 2.30 on it. The factory tire is 2.1 wide. Also should I use same size front and back?
    I was at the shop last night looking at the cannondale. They are a great ride. I dont understand the tires on them. It looks like they are set up for people that run fire roads.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    You also get a little more travel with the tubless. I have never gottena pinch flat with my tires. I dont understand why people are still using tubes. I run 30lbs and that is a lot of pressure for the tires. I like my tires a little stiffer than normal. I would rather loose a little grip and gain speed.
    Some people still need or like to be able to change their tire easily.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Looks like I am leaning towards the WTB Moto Raptor Comp in a 2.24 for front and back. Fairly inexpensive online, but wondering if anyone knows who might sell them locally?

Looks like I am leaning towards the WTB Moto Raptor Comp in a 2.24 for front and back. Fairly inexpensive online, but wondering if anyone knows who might sell them locally?
    Another good tire is the WTB Manuto-Raptor.

From our last ride it seemed like you were intrested in possibly switching to a ghetto tubeless setup like I am running. If you do want to go that route I recomend that you get a tire with a steel bead over a kevlar bead. It will be stronger and lock into the wheel much better. I am not sure if the Moto Raptor Comp's have a steel or kevlar bead. Most bike shops have a very limited range of tires on hand. There are just too many choices out there. WTB alone probably has over 30 different tires in the line. So even if you find a shop that stocks WTB tires they may not have the ones you want. Just to order them online.

The Raptor comps have the steel bead while the Comps don't along with the Manutos, that is why I am leaning towards them and the reviews on mtbr have been favorable towards them.

Also, after reading the reviews I just noticed some have been putting the narrower tire to the rear, is that something I should consider or just stick with the 2.24?

The Raptor comps have the steel bead while the Comps don't along with the Manutos, that is why I am leaning towards them and the reviews on mtbr have been favorable towards them.

Also, after reading the reviews I just noticed some have been putting the narrower tire to the rear, is that something I should consider or just stick with the 2.24?
    Do whatever's cheapest and easiest. Tires are not something to lose a lot of sleep over. All new tires ride great until you wear down the square edges on the tread anyway.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Alot of people do run a wider tire up front. But the smallest I would run in the rear is 2.24 and then possibly go bigger in the front. That is what I am planning on doing once my tires wear out. 2.24 in the rear and 2.4 in the front.

For now just get 2.24 front and back. See how you like it and then make adjustments with your next set of tires. If you ride alot you will have to change tires atleast once a season if not more

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    If you ride alot you will have to change tires atleast once a season if not more
    I don't think Jeff plans on riding all that much....
    I ski double black diamonds.

Thread Information