New Ride - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ride

We'll be sure to find you some jumps to try to test the assembly.

Have you figured out the shock and fork pressures or will that be the test for the next few rides trying to find the balance.

Sweet! Looks rad! Can't wait to check it out in person. I'm interested to see how you like those pedals compared to the ones with the platform like you have on your other bike.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    We'll be sure to find you some jumps to try to test the assembly.

Have you figured out the shock and fork pressures or will that be the test for the next few rides trying to find the balance.
    Well, it was 90% assembled. Just had to put on the stem and bar (I think I got the headset right), the seat, pedals and front wheel. I also pumped the tires by feel since they are presta valves. Does anyone have a presta gauge they could bring tonight? I have one on order along with some tubes.

Yeah, I need to figure out the suspension pressure thing. At least it came with a shock pump. I also need to figure out how to adjust the brakes. They are okay, but have a lot of play at the moment. I seem to be getting that rubbing sound you had too, Jeff. Was that a simple adjustment? Oh Zinn, where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Sweet! Looks rad! Can't wait to check it out in person. I'm interested to see how you like those pedals compared to the ones with the platform like you have on your other bike.
    We'll see. I put the new cleats on my shoes too, just because. The old ones were fine and will reside in my pack for now. I guess a cleat could work loose and pop off. Okay, maybe not, but it's better than tossing the old ones out.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well, it was 90% assembled. Just had to put on the stem and bar (I think I got the headset right), the seat, pedals and front wheel. I also pumped the tires by feel since they are presta valves. Does anyone have a presta gauge they could bring tonight? I have one on order along with some tubes.
    For the head set you want to tighten the bolt in the top cap (while the stem is just slightly loose) until the headset has no lateral play, but still turns freely. I have my floor pump in the car (always do), which has a gauge and works on both presta and schrader. You're welcome to use it anytime.

Yeah, I need to figure out the suspension pressure thing. At least it came with a shock pump. I also need to figure out how to adjust the brakes. They are okay, but have a lot of play at the moment. I seem to be getting that rubbing sound you had too, Jeff. Was that a simple adjustment? Oh Zinn, where are you?
    I don't know all that much about disk brakes, but if the rubbing noise is constant then you might need to center your caliper. If it's intermittent then you may have a slightly bent rotor, which would need to be straightened to get rid of the noise. AFAIK there's not much else for adjustment on hydraulic brakes.

We'll see. I put the new cleats on my shoes too, just because. The old ones were fine and will reside in my pack for now. I guess a cleat could work loose and pop off. Okay, maybe not, but it's better than tossing the old ones out.
    Actually, from my understanding, it's not all that uncommon for a cleat screw to come out during a ride. I've heard of several people who carry spare cleat screws in their pack just in case.
    Brian

For the head set you want to tighten the bolt in the top cap (while the stem is just slightly loose) until the headset has no lateral play, but still turns freely. I have my floor pump in the car (always do), which has a gauge and works on both presta and schrader. You're welcome to use it anytime.
    The thing about the top cap bolt was I kept tightening it without disrupting turning. The headset had no play so I just kinda assume it's okay. It's tricky to check for headset play with the fork, grippy new brakes, etc. It seems snug with the wheel straight and turned to the side so I think I'm good.

Thanks for the pump offer.

I don't know all that much about disk brakes, but if the rubbing noise is constant then you might need to center your caliper. If it's intermittent then you may have a slightly bent rotor, which would need to be straightened to get rid of the noise. AFAIK there's not much else for adjustment on hydraulic brakes.
    It's that constant rub like Jeff had so I think it's just an adjustment thing. I will have a lot of fiddling to do to tweak the fit and as cables stretch, etc.

Actually, from my understanding, it's not all that uncommon for a cleat screw to come out during a ride. I've heard of several people who carry spare cleat screws in their pack just in case.
    I thought I read about that happening on Crankfire once and someone had an extra cleat so I figure it can't hurt to carry some, especially since most of us ride SPDs. Not that it would keep you from getting out, but still...

This has been the general procedure for caliper re-centering that I've seen....
    (first paragraph in this post)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...73&postcount=3
    Brian

BTW, that top bolt shouldn't just keep turning, if it is you may have a problem with the star fangled nut inside of your steerer tube. The bolt could be stripped, the threaded part could be spinning, or the whole thing could be coming up the tube. Either way I'd want to find out and fix it.
    Brian

Sweet ride you got there Greg. With any luck for us the extra weight will slow you down a bit If your shock pump is not that large I would carry it along in your back pack for a few rides until you get the suspension dialed in.

And like I say to everyone else, rip off that large front chain ring and get a bash guard.

BTW, that top bolt shouldn't just keep turning, if it is you may have a problem with the star fangled nut inside of your steerer tube. The bolt could be stripped, the threaded part could be spinning, or the whole thing could be coming up the tube. Either way I'd want to find out and fix it.
    So I should just turn it until it stops turning? I didn't want to over-tighten.

Thread Information