New Ride - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ride

You guys are funny. All new bikes, all new clipless pedals, all new shoes for the pedals... you guys go all out!

Nice ride, Greg!
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So I should just turn it until it stops turning? I didn't want to over-tighten.

Between Brian and I, we should be able to get the head set adjusted when we meet up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Between Brian and I, we should be able to get the head set adjusted when we meet up tonight.
    That's what I was thinking.

You shouldn't turn it until it stops, but it should get tighter and the headset should tighten up. Be careful, because it's possible to tighten it up too much.

EDIT- I just saw that you have a sealed cartridge bearing headset, I don't think there's any adjustment for them, IIRC??
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So I should just turn it until it stops turning? I didn't want to over-tighten.
    I'd be surprised if the star nut threads were stripped. The tabs usually break off before there's enough force to strip threads (I've seen, or heard rather, that happen).

Your headset would be noticeably loose is there was something wrong with the start nut. Just keep checking the headset by locking the front brakes and trying to roll the front of the bike back and forth for the first month or so. Remember to always loosen the stem clamp bolts before adjusting the headset bolt.

And make sure you're looking for headset play when you lock your brakes and roll it around too. Some poeple will mistake fork flex or fork compression for headset play.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

He tested it pretty good last night when he went over the bars and it didn't seem to move, best part was after he went OTB the bike came back and landed on him just to spite him!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'd be surprised if the star nut threads were stripped. The tabs usually break off before there's enough force to strip threads (I've seen, or heard rather, that happen).

Your headset would be noticeably loose is there was something wrong with the start nut. Just keep checking the headset by locking the front brakes and trying to roll the front of the bike back and forth for the first month or so. Remember to always loosen the stem clamp bolts before adjusting the headset bolt.

And make sure you're looking for headset play when you lock your brakes and roll it around too. Some poeple will mistake fork flex or fork compression for headset play.
    Brian and I checked it out before the ride and the headset seemed fine to both of us. There was no play that I could feel. If Brian and I were not there Greg may have blown out his new fork. We are all on our bike ready to ride and I ask Greg what pressure he has his fork set at. He gives me a look. I ask if he put in any air at all.......nope. So we break out the shock pump to see what it has for PSI. His brand spanking new air sprung fork has zero PSI for pressure

Brian and I checked it out before the ride and the headset seemed fine to both of us. There was no play that I could feel. If Brian and I were not there Greg may have blown out his new fork. We are all on our bike ready to ride and I ask Greg what pressure he has his fork set at. He gives me a look. I ask if he put in any air at all.......nope. So we break out the shock pump to see what it has for PSI. His brand spanking new air sprung fork has zero PSI for pressure
    Newb alert!

Thanks again for your assistance, guys...
    I ski double black diamonds.

Yeah, typically they're not pressurized at the factory so they don't risk a blow out because of high temperatures in the back of a UPS truck or something.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Nice bike, Greg. Did you take it off any sweet jumps?
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbd View Post
    Nice bike, Greg. Did you take it off any sweet jumps?
    I don't take sweet jumps.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Thread Information