• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing power lines?

Greg

Staff member
We've all seen those power lines all over New England that look like ski slopes this time of year. Am I the only one that thinks about hiking up and skiing them? Has anyone done it?

thetrailboss

Staff member
There was an article in the eastern section of SKIING magazine about this same topic...they said thumbs up as long as you had scouted out the area, understood that you were liable for your own injuries, and had permission from any private landowners. There are some nice lines along the I-91 Corridor just south of St. Johnsbury.

dmc

thetrailboss said:
There was an article in the eastern section of SKIING magazine about this same topic...they said thumbs up as long as you had scouted out the area, understood that you were liable for your own injuries, and had permission from any private landowners. There are some nice lines along the 1-91 Corridor just south of St. Johnsbury.

Cool... Glad SKI magazines cool with it... :)

Sorry - got my giddy POWDER hat on today...

bvibert

Staff member
You'd probably want to get try and get permission like TB said. AFAIK the property under the power lines is usually leased to the power companies and they generally don't like people hanging out there. At least thats the way it is around here. The power lines are also tempting to the off-road crowd in the summer, I've heard of several people getting tickets for trespassing under power lines. You probably wouldn't have any trouble if you were just skiing though...

ctenidae

Could be fun- they're usually pretty cleared of rocks and such (power company likes to be able to drive up them), and there's probably access pretty close to them, too- just be sure to get permission from the landowner.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Am I getting the sense that there will be an AZ "Powder Power Lines" day in the near future? :wink:

smootharc

Just remember....

.....power lines fry your brain....so you're getting freshies, and a low-grade electric lobotomy for no extra (no pun intended) charge.....

:lol:

Hey, wait, we're skiers....we're already lobotomized !!!!

gmcunni

i never skied power lines but i have taken my skis to the local golf course on a crazy POW day in CT and did my best attempt at making "powder 8s"

turned out looking more like crappy dna strands

jimmywilson69

lots of power lines and gas lines here in PA that have sick ski lines on them. Most of them would be an easy skin or snow shoe from the road.

I found several up north in the state forest areas that are super steep. I actually went through and cataloged some pictures and locations while on a field view for work. I just need to buckup and get some skins or snowshoes.

Better than power lines are gas lines. I skied a few this winter. There is one along Route 17 near Binghamton an another near New Lebanon, NY that I need to hit one day

csherdel

lots of power lines and gas lines here in PA that have sick ski lines on them. Most of them would be an easy skin or snow shoe from the road.

I found several up north in the state forest areas that are super steep. I actually went through and cataloged some pictures and locations while on a field view for work. I just need to buckup and get some skins or snowshoes.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you ever got out to ski any lines. I have been looking at some of the power lines in Michaux and have been thinking that I can snowshoe up some of them and ski down. Just need some good snow to give it a try.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Nice video I really like the explorer spirit although I'm sure that lines been done before. The snow looked chunky and dense .

No power lines but did poach a dam breast 25yrs ago . Was freaking cool !!!! Flat plane and good for 25 perfect turns .

Pa.'s tough odds for BC but roughly 2 out of 10yrs for the Pocono stuff I ski . Maybe this year ?