• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skier hits tree at Burke Mt

ctenidae

I made a sheet when we were at about 9, I think. I saw no decent correlation between mountain, trail, helmet, age, or sex. Of course, nine is a pretty small sample size. Still, I think it just shows that shiat happens. Skiing is a dangerouos sport. We mourn those who are lost, at the same time feeling relieved it wasn't us.

Vortex

Very sad, thankx for the info Ski dork. I replied on k-zone.
We talked about this a bit on Sat at Burke. People were shook up about it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got the scoop from my connections at Burke: the guy was a good skier who was familiar with the mtn. At about 3:30pm, he decided to go down East Bowl (which closes at 3:15pm or so) and told his GF to wait at the bottom. He ducked the rope (trail was closed and swept) and did not turn up at the bottom. Ski patrol took a snowmobile up the run and found him about 1/3 way down on side of the trail underneath a tree. Horrible situation...feel bad for the family. Local ties.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
I'm sorry to hear about this, however two wrongs don't make a right....

1. Ducked the rope.

2. Skied in the tree's alone.

You were reading my mind. East Bowl is probably my favorite trail period. I felt bad last week when I heard of the incident...but when I got the specifics I felt a bit differently. East Bowl closes early because it is a loooonnnng trail (over two miles) and is the furthest one away from any facilities (which probably contributed to his death...response time was long). There have been times when I wanted to take one more (illegal) run down EB, but I always held back. Bad situation... :(

BrockVond

thetrailboss said:
Got the scoop from my connections at Burke: the guy was a good skier who was familiar with the mtn. At about 3:30pm, he decided to go down East Bowl (which closes at 3:15pm or so) and told his GF to wait at the bottom. He ducked the rope (trail was closed and swept) and did not turn up at the bottom. Ski patrol took a snowmobile up the run and found him about 1/3 way down on side of the trail underneath a tree. Horrible situation...feel bad for the family. Local ties.

Who is your connection at Burke? Ski patrol on duty that day? One of those who responded to the scene?

BrockVond

Charlie Schuessler said:
I'm sorry to hear about this, however two wrongs don't make a right....

1. Ducked the rope.

2. Skied in the tree's alone.

3. Second hand info posted on a website.

SkiDork

FWIW, According to Stormchaser, the report of him ducking a rope is false.

You can read the thread where I posed that question to him here:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3066&start=30

(thats actually a pointer to the 3rd page of the entire thread...)

Here's a pointer to another thread where I got all misty and posted my feelings, then StormChaser told us how he's going to make a tribute to his brother:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

thetrailboss

Staff member
BrockVond said:
thetrailboss said:

Who is your connection at Burke? Ski patrol on duty that day? One of those who responded to the scene?

A local who works at the mtn.

Everyone feels upset over the two incidents this past week at the mtn. I think I speak for most of the folks up there (and in here) in offering our condolences to the family. My apologies if there has been any misunderstanding... :(

SkiDork

no problem - this sort of stuff always happens when an incident like this occurs. No way to avoid it.