• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Gear For The 08/09 Season

snowmonster

I walked into the local SkiMarket today and was surprised to see them carrying the Rossi S6 and S7. This was the last place I expected to see these skis in. SkiMarket rarely ever carries a ski in the 100 waist category. The only downside is that they only have one pair of each in stock. Will wonders ever cease?

Trekchick

How short are you guys?
I have 48 and 46 inch poles. When I used the 46, my instructor told me I needed longer poles and made me switch poles with her.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
How short are you guys?
I have 48 and 46 inch poles. When I used the 46, my instructor told me I needed longer poles and made me switch poles with her.

Was your instructor teaching you bump skiing? Shorter poles make a big difference in the bumps. I'm 6'4" and have some ridiculously short girls poles that I found somewhere. I don't know what size they are, but, IIRC, they were shorter than MRGisevil's poles and she's quite a bit shorter than I am.

o3jeff

Uh oh! They may kick you out of the C.L.I.T.s for a move like that! :lol:

I think I am only an honorary member anyways until I get a pair of specific bump skis. But once they see me snowplowing thru their bumps I am sure they will kick me out:lol:

jack97

Rockin it clown style.

Yeah, I like that.

I got nothing new for this season. At the end of last season, I shorten my poles even further. mogulsensie said that he sizes up the kids for his freestyle team by making the pole go up to the hip. Tried that and it does help, poles doesn't get in the way and it makes "casting" the pole more efficient.

Trekchick

Was your instructor teaching you bump skiing? Shorter poles make a big difference in the bumps. I'm 6'4" and have some ridiculously short girls poles that I found somewhere. I don't know what size they are, but, IIRC, they were shorter than MRGisevil's poles and she's quite a bit shorter than I am.
She was not teaching me bumps, although we spent a little time in the bumps.

I'm 5-8 and just ordered 48's to replace my 46 or are they 44, can't remember.
I'm 5'6", and normally use a 48" pole. I think I may use a 46 a bit more this year and see how it impacts my non existent bump skilz

Greg

Staff member
6' 1" and 45" seems to be a good balance between a bump pole and an all mountain for me.

bvibert

Staff member
Someday I'm going to get some good adjustable poles, then I can have the best of both worlds. 8) My uber short poles suck everywhere but the bumps.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
6' 1" and 45" seems to be a good balance between a bump pole and an all mountain for me.

Wow . . . That seems waaaaaaayyy too short for you . . .

I'm about 6'1" and I use a 50" pole.

Even in your avatar picture it looks short . . . Look how far past 90 degrees your elbow is . . . I recognize that you're in powder, but it still looks like it might affect your skiing . . .

Greg

Staff member
Wow . . . That seems waaaaaaayyy too short for you . . .

I'm about 6'1" and I use a 50" pole.

Even in your avatar picture it looks short . . . Look how far past 90 degrees your elbow is . . . I recognize that you're in powder, but it still looks like it might affect your skiing . . .

Again, the clown poles are bump specific. I'm just too lazy to worry about different length poles for different conditions. In my avatar I'm using 46" poles.

jack97

Someday I'm going to get some good adjustable poles, then I can have the best of both worlds. 8) My uber short poles suck everywhere but the bumps.

If your kids are at the age for proper brainwashing.... I'm mean skiing. Get adjustable poles, I got some for my daughter and have been making adjustment every season.

The only problem is using them to release the bindings, the ones I got will loosen up and become shorter when I put a lot of downward pressure to make the release.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If your kids are at the age for proper brainwashing.... I'm mean skiing. Get adjustable poles, I got some for my daughter and have been making adjustment every season.

The only problem is using them to release the bindings, the ones I got will loosen up and become shorter when I put a lot of downward pressure to make the release.
Our 17 month old wears ski boots around the house. I'd say they're already brainwashed. ;)

Good tip!

bvibert

Staff member

That's exactly why I said I wanted some good adjustable poles. I have some decent adjustable hiking poles that I used when hiking and skiing Hunter a couple weeks ago. They kept adjusting themselves, even without using them to take off my bindings (I usually step on the binding with the other ski to release it).

BTW - I think my kids are still a bit young for poles, at least if I wanted to keep them from maiming each other they are. ;)

jack97

BTW - I think my kids are still a bit young for poles, at least if I wanted to keep them from maiming each other they are. ;)

time will come when they will ask for poles b/c they see the older kids using them or they find out how easy it is to use them in the flat spots.

Couple of the shops sell adjustble poles for kids, I found some at a tent sale and haven't bought new poles for my daughter ever since. Might change this year since she had a big growth spurt :-?

bvibert

Staff member
time will come when they will ask for poles b/c they see the older kids using them or they find out how easy it is to use them in the flat spots.

Couple of the shops sell adjustble poles for kids, I found some at a tent sale and haven't bought new poles for my daughter ever since. Might change this year since she had a big growth spurt :-?

Thanks for the tip, I had never considered adjustable kids poles before.