• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Gear For The 08/09 Season

deadheadskier

Staff member
....thanks for the tips. Hopefully I get the opportunity to hook up with eastcoastpowhound before the season. The one shop around here that caries Dalbello's seemed lacking in knowledge up ski gear....more of a golf shop.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Greg - Do you mind me asking which shop? Brian was looking to try some of those on over the weekend: Ski Market didn't have them and Fatty's/Sporthouse had limited sizes and were not ordering more. Bob's (which was a last-ditch effort, obviously) didn't have them. Just curious...

o3jeff

Greg - Do you mind me asking which shop? Brian was looking to try some of those on over the weekend: Ski Market didn't have them and Fatty's/Sporthouse had limited sizes and were not ordering more. Bob's (which was a last-ditch effort, obviously) didn't have them. Just curious...

I am pretty sure he got them at Suburban were i got mine. I think Alpine Haus also carries them.

Greg

Staff member

I am pretty sure he got them at Suburban were i got mine. I think Alpine Haus also carries them.

Yes, skidmarks at www.suburbansport.com hooked me up. Great guy and very knowledgeable. I would doubt very much that a Krypton would be a good boot for Brian. They are pretty low volume. Can't hurt to try I guess.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yes, skidmarks at www.suburbansport.com hooked me up. Great guy and very knowledgeable. I would doubt very much that a Krypton would be a good boot for Brian. They are pretty low volume. Can't hurt to try I guess.
Brian has a lot of boot-choice-issues because of so many who compromise performance to give more forefoot width. But, depending on where the issues are, some can be remedied with a little work if the boot otherwise works. He already talked with Dave Newman when he tried on a couple options there (which I think a Lange, surprisingly, was the best of the ones he tried, though it would requiring some widening) and was encouraged to try them. You never know what works til you try, right? :)

Thanks, guys. I'm sure he'll see this.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wanted to add that I think the Dalbello Axion 11 looks like an interesting option for those looking for the performance of the Krypton but with room for their wider forefeet. However it's nearly impossible to find an online retailer carrying them, let alone a shop who has them. Suburban has the Axion 7 listed, but that's an intermediate boot - not the same thing at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The foot boards are easy to distinguish. The firm ones are hard plastic. The anti-shocks are almost rubber-like. The tongues are pretty easy to tell apart by bending them side-by-side. There's also a marking on them with an A, B, C, D in a circle with an arrow pointing to one of the letters. I think the stiffs are B and the mediums are C. The liner feels pretty generic and almost stiff until it's heated. Once it molds to your foot, all is right with the world. Be sure to cap your toes to give some wiggle room there as you're molding them. My shop used a little rubber cup and a thin almost nylong stocking to hold it on. I've heard of people cutting the end off some old thick socks and doing it that way.

I suppose I really didn't look close enough :oops: Pretty darn easy to tell on the tongues and foot beds. They came with the stiff beds and tongues....gonna start off with the soft beds and stiff tongues for the start. All the rest of the crap they come with I haven't a clue how to sub in and out or where they even go for that matter, but those two seemed easy enough. Looking forward to the custom mold

skidmarks

I wanted to add that I think the Dalbello Axion 11 looks like an interesting option for those looking for the performance of the Krypton but with room for their wider forefeet. However it's nearly impossible to find an online retailer carrying them, let alone a shop who has them. Suburban has the Axion 7 listed, but that's an intermediate boot - not the same thing at all.

Same shell and fit but a softer boot. It's not hard to bring in the 11.

skidmarks

BTW, I got the less expensive Krypton Cross's for us ballers on a budget.
If you have a wide foot like me the Cross with the softer silver ID liner is a beter bet. Get it in the .5 size for more width.
oct-08_045.jpg

Philpug

If you have a wide foot like me the Cross with the softer silver ID liner is a beter bet. Get it in the .5 size for more width.
oct-08_045.jpg

First gen Cross's with new Silvers and a Booster Strap. Gotta love parts bin Kryptons. Try reversing the lower buckle a la IL Moro and Rampage.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I got Some Lange Freeride 130 boots earlier this summer for $300 shipped.

I'm going to buy a fat alpine ski (either the Volkl Mantra or Volkl Bridge in a 176/177)

And if there's any money left over I'm going to get new Tele skis (maybe the BD Verdict if I can find a rep).

Also Goggles . . .

And Gloves.

Change of Plans . . .

I'm getting the Gotama . . . 176. Beast.

skidmarks

First gen Cross's with new Silvers and a Booster Strap. Gotta love parts bin Kryptons. Try reversing the lower buckle a la IL Moro and Rampage.

Like i said an early pair. It is much easier to change the tongue now. That pair went into service at the end of '04. The Silver ID liners came a year or two later. I love these boots more than the Langes I had for 10+ years. Reverse the lower Buckle? I'm 46 going on 47.

I suppose I really didn't look close enough :oops: Pretty darn easy to tell on the tongues and foot beds. They came with the stiff beds and tongues....gonna start off with the soft beds and stiff tongues for the start. All the rest of the crap they come with I haven't a clue how to sub in and out or where they even go for that matter, but those two seemed easy enough. Looking forward to the custom mold

yup, we should get together and take care of those liners for you...send me a pm and we'll figure it out.

powbmps

I went all out this year.

Giro G9 off of SAC ~$25. (Oops, I didn't realize there was a womens version.)
Scott 44" poles off of some other discounted site ~$25.
Predator pants from Jeffy on the mogul forums ~$50 (I just had to have them).

Last edited: