• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Word! :beer:

Come the end of October, I'll be dropping golf like a bad habit and moving onto skiing. :lol: I got just as passionate about kayaking before I realized I wouldn't be able to afford to purchase the boat and gear that fit me and my needs best. Any outdoor activity that encourages obsessive behavior, gets me outdoors, and keeps me active is a good thing. I used to road bike like crazy in my younger days. Doesn't have any appeal for me now but I can appreciate your interest in biking both as a former cyclist and coming from the perspective of a developing golfer during the "off season". :D

Now back to reviewing golf equipment pages as I consider a club purchase.... :roll:

Geoff

I practice safe golf. My clubs are safely in the wheeled airline bag and have been there for the last 8 years. I played on the golf team in high school and once had a reasonable game of bogey golf on average courses. I completely suck if I don't hit balls pretty much every day and get with a pro once per week to sort out my swing. I basically have no ability at all to self-correct and the wheels tend to fall off after 4 or 5 holes if I go out on a course cold. I'm enough of a perfectionist that I can't stand playing hacker golf and I have so many other distractions and activites in my life that I'm not willing to carve out the slice of time every day I need to keep from getting hugely frustrated on the course.

A couple of times as an adult, I had spurts where I played a lot for a couple of years and pulled my game back together. Back in the mid-1990's, I played a ton and flew with my clubs on monthly week-long business trips to Europe. I played some pretty cool courses around Dublin. Portmarnock. Royal Dublin. St Margrets. I have a photo somewhere of me in the bottom of a pot bunker at Portmarnock. It was like being stuck in a tree well. I did a bunch of rounds around Sydney, Australia. My dad was retired and living on Longboat Key in Florida and I'd bring clubs down and sneak in a round with him at the Longboat Key Club whenever I was down there on business. I did a ski/golf day on the 4th of July skiing Squaw in the morning and played a round in the afternoon with a friend who lives on a course above Truckee. They'd cleared the tee boxes and greens but there were still snowbanks in places on the fairways. You get a really good lie in corn snow. Way easier than hitting out of a fairway bunker.

Warp Daddy

Warp- I noticed you are back. How were the links on your trip?

SAWEET and thanx for asking Steve !!

Altho my game this year certainly is NOT what it was last year . My putting simply is killing me. I tried 3 differant weapons of mass destruction ( putters)and they all were not much help -- guess its me :D

In the DACKs I played 3 Rustic style Adirondack courses. Its a THING of mine , want to play all the old time Adirondack courses before i go to the big 19th hole in the sky :D

I shot several average rounds ( hi 80's worst was a 92) . One course i played that was remote and scenic was one that was owned by a DUDE ranch in Warren County area . Course was ringed by mtns and along the upper Hudson River in a fairly remote region . What a beautiful backdrop to hit into-- awesome .

On the third hole, a short 210 par 3 along the river, i was greeted by what i thought was a damn wolf near the green alongside the river --------- turned out to be a coy dog . I drove with my new #1 Hybrid and put it on the green. He saw /heard it land and took off .. Damn good thing cuz i didn't have ANY SPARE fruit of the looms in my bag :D

Played couple course in Ma with my son in law shot 88/89

SO it was funn , came home this week for my wife's surgery she sailed thru that but i've got a wicked cold stiiff neck from sleeping on 2 pillows in front of aaa/c then like a damn fool i scraped and painted a small barn i've got yesterday -- and made it worse so no golf for couple days -- Sometimes i can be such a dumb shit :D

Hey All,

I played golf with my Dad and his buddy earlier today at 10:00AM at Wedgewood..temperatures were in the 60s and 70s under sunny skys. I played O.K. and I ended up with 7 pars and 2 triple bogeys along with a few doubles. I shot a 44 on the front 9 and a 46 on the back 9 for a 90. On one hole I sunk a 40 foot putt from the fringe of the green which was cancelled out by a 3 putt from under 10 feet. Play was fairly slow and the round was 4 hours and 20 minutes...after golf I drank copious amounts of Magic Hat #9...for me the golf season is winding down..I'll probably play a few more times in October and then no more golf until April or May..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With fall rates beginning soon, the season is just starting for me :spin:

Warp, nice to hear you had a good trip and played some fun courses. What makes the old time Dacks courses special for those of us that will probably never play them?

Hit the range today and managed to cure my slice but now I have replaced it with a push. Straight to the right by about 15-20 degrees but straight as an arrow and good distance. Finally got the over the top issue fixed by keeping the right arm tucked into my body and leading the turn with the hips.

Broke my 3W today. Took a swing and the end of the shaft snapped at the hosel and I lauched the club head over 50 feet. After the bounces, it traveled a full 64 yard approximately. I am going to have to blame the breakage on poor quality shaft though I am sure a bad swing or two may have contributed to weakening the steel.

Oh well, guess I will need to buy a new one now :D

Warp Daddy

With fall rates beginning soon, the season is just starting for me :spin:

Warp, nice to hear you had a good trip and played some fun courses. What makes the old time Dacks courses special for those of us that will probably never play them?

Hit the range today and managed to cure my slice but now I have replaced it with a push. Straight to the right by about 15-20 degrees but straight as an arrow and good distance. Finally got the over the top issue fixed by keeping the right arm tucked into my body and leading the turn with the hips.

Broke my 3W today. Took a swing and the end of the shaft snapped at the hosel and I lauched the club head over 50 feet. After the bounces, it traveled a full 64 yard approximately. I am going to have to blame the breakage on poor quality shaft though I am sure a bad swing or two may have contributed to weakening the steel.

Oh well, guess I will need to buy a new one now :D

Steve : You have really put some effort in it and it will pay dividends down line. . Your enthusiasm and intelligence will help --JUST keep swinging the club at a less than full tilt boogie and square up to the target . If you continue to work on the grip( 2-3 knuckles max) and and swing smoothly your game will improve --JUST PLAY don't think too much !!

The fixation with the old time Dack courses relates to acombination of the magnificent scenery , relaxed pace . low density and of course rustic natural conditions . Lies are often uneven, the rough really IS and the general ambiance is not plastic or country club like, and the price is very reasonable rather like playing with old friends .

-- I guess its just a more comfortable fit for me -- Ever since childhood i've always just loved the "Dacks but i appreciate what you guys have in the Greens and Whites. The Queen and I make several pilgrimmages annually to those great areas too .

Have fun and enjoy the fall golf Steve --

Cheers
Warp

drjeff

Charity Scramble today benefitting my local community college. My foursome was a group that I play with in 2 or 3 scrambles a year, and basically we will always shoot between 6 and 12 under. About the best thing I can say about today, is the weather was great and the beer cold and plentifull. We stunk it up big time :mad: +2 on the par 3's :mad: including 1 where we went 4 for 4 at NOT clearing the lake infront of the green:rolleyes: -1 on the par 4's and -4 on the par 5's including an eagle that ended up winning us a skin.

If we actually managed to get a decent look a birdie, if we were lucky we'd have a lip out, but most of he time we just plain and simple weren't even close :mad:

Hopefully next week when I'm on vacation in Florida and golfing with my Dad at the course he belongs to, I'll have something that resembles a respectable game, if not, I'm going to loose ALOT of golf balls as that course can eat them often :eek:

FRITOLAYGUY

My golf season is officially beginning this weekend, its just too damn hot down here to play golf tonite is the first time in 4+months the low temp will be below 70 degrees, 65 tomorrow, now with the high temps only in the mid to upper 80's its time to get back out there. The one thing i noticed more down here is your scores will go up 3-5 shots per round if your a bogey golfer like me, if u are not on the fairway u are outta bounds in someones back yard, every course has houses just about, not alot of room for error like hitting outta the woods up north, and ya that bermuda grass will get ya everytime.

Warp Daddy

Just back from a pretty nice round for me . A Glorious sunny fall day in the 70's with leaves changing color and i shot a 44/38--82 which is my one of my best this season .

Had seven pars and finished with an Eagle on the 18th . Put my tee shot on the green 287 yds then sank a 23 footer -- yee haa

Only thing was i had 3 penalty strokes otherwise i's of bagged my first sub 80 ever , Oh well something to shoot for next time

Warp Daddy

Awesome Warp...Eagle..I've never had an eagle although I've putted for eagle on a par-5,,

Thanx Steeze ---- asou know its just dumb luck sometimes you are just in the Zone > Keep swinging the way you hammer the ball who knows -- an ACE could happen . I got one once and believe if i can do it ANYONE can

PS did u get Black Beauty off the crane OK ??

drjeff

Just back from a pretty nice round for me . A Glorious sunny fall day in the 70's with leaves changing color and i shot a 44/38--82 which is my one of my best this season .

Had seven pars and finished with an Eagle on the 18th . Put my tee shot on the green 287 yds then sank a 23 footer -- yee haa

Only thing was i had 3 penalty strokes otherwise i's of bagged my first sub 80 ever , Oh well something to shoot for next time

Nice job there Warp! Those golf gods definately will have you coming back for a bunch more rounds with that eagle on the 18th!

Trekchick

I'm sorry if I am interrupting an important topic, but I've been avoiding this thread since I couldn't golf and it depressed me to chat golf with youz guyz.

So, I hit some ballz last night, and it felt sooooooooo good!
I went at lunch time, to hit some ballzzzz, and its not great, because I took soooooo much time off, but my wrist handled it okay and I'm cranked to get out there an play a 9 to see what I've got in me!!

Happy Freakin Birthday to ME!!!

Warp Daddy

Go get 'em Tigress , Fall golf is really the best time to play ,

Maybe put a neoprene/velcro wrist thingy on for support . I used one when i broke my wrist BOTH times :D -- it helped

I met lotsa o my wifes girl friends out there today yukking it up and having a great time

Thanx Steeze ---- asou know its just dumb luck sometimes you are just in the Zone > Keep swinging the way you hammer the ball who knows -- an ACE could happen . I got one once and believe if i can do it ANYONE can

PS did u get Black Beauty off the crane OK ??

Black Beauty is set in the cemetery and it is there for eternity..or until it gets struck by lightning..lol

drjeff

I'm sorry if I am interrupting an important topic, but I've been avoiding this thread since I couldn't golf and it depressed me to chat golf with youz guyz.

So, I hit some ballz last night, and it felt sooooooooo good!
I went at lunch time, to hit some ballzzzz, and its not great, because I took soooooo much time off, but my wrist handled it okay and I'm cranked to get out there an play a 9 to see what I've got in me!!

Happy Freakin Birthday to ME!!!

Glad the wrist felt good after the 2 range sessions Trek! Sounds like it's time to hit the links for 'ya before the snow makes finding the little white ball tough and strapping the planks on your feet takes over!