Woo? A package for Marc? Well this looks quite nice... - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Maybe in Engineer geek talk. But in MT Bike terms It is actually a single pivot linkage
    In MTB terms its a 4 bar Horst linkage.

Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    In MTB terms its a 4 bar Horst linkage.
    How is it a four bar? there is only one pivot point at the BB. A four bar would have another pivot on the chain stay or seat stay. The is not a pivot at the top of the seat tube, it is a brace. Horst link simply refers to the placement of the pivot

edit: is there a 2nd pivot at the rear wheel drop out? It is very hard to tell from the pics

edit: is there a 2nd pivot at the rear wheel drop out? It is very hard to tell from the pics
    Yes. It's definitely not a single pivot design.
    Brian

How is it a four bar? there is only one pivot point at the BB. A four bar would have another pivot on the chain stay or seat stay. The is not a pivot at the top of the seat tube, it is a brace. Horst link simply refers to the placement of the pivot

There are pivots on the chain stay. The Horst link design is any that puts the rear dropout behind and above that pivot.

This discussion again????
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    This discussion again????
    No silly, we're having a barely distinguishably different technical discussion about rear suspension design. All that matters though is it feels squishy when you sit on it.

/Giggity.

I meant the "how is it 4 bar" part of the discussion. Geez.

I'll admit that while having donated part of my brain to having kids normally makes me feel a little less sharp than I used to be, reading the stuff you post, Marc, and your dissection of the minutiae often makes my head spin.

Then again, I have a cousin who is an engineer so I'm somewhat used to it.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Marc is an alien. That is all.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I really want to try my hand at building a set of wheels some day, but that would probably go much smoother with some sort of truing stand.
    ...and a dishing tool, and a spoke tension measuring tool...

Although I didn't rebuilt my entire wheel I did kinda mess with all the spoke tensions to try to get it as balanced and true as I could... it was a lot of fun and very interesting what I learned in the process - it's all a give and take between equal spoke tension and the different trues. You can't have it all with everything usually so you have to find a happy equilibrium.

Park tool used to have this nifty excel spreadsheet on their site that made adjusting a wheel much easier to picture. I can't find the copy I thought I had on my pc... its not on their site anymore... bummer.
    Last edited by cbcbd; Jul 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM.
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Marc is an alien. That is all.
    I think that's a very astute (and accurate) observation.

Thread Information