• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woo? A package for Marc? Well this looks quite nice...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Meh, I don't need your generosity.

No wait, actually I do, since it's not really complete yet. I need to cable the bike and put the chain on, but everything else is done. See below.

This was the frame after I used the $100,000 Instron tensile tester behind it to press the headset bearings into the frame. Work slick as shite. So easy. Was great.

0730081605.jpg

The fork crown race actually went on pretty easy too. Some gentle whacking with a hammer on a dowel, and then a slight trim of the fork steerer with the tubing cutter, and voila-

downsized_0730081847.jpg

Then the handle bar and stem go on....

0730081854.jpg

Then the crank and brakes-

0730081916.jpg

And finally the derailleurs, wheels, seat/seat post. Just the cables and chain left, a quick tune and fitting and she'll be good to go.

P1020039.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Sweet! Nice work!

You may have said this already, but I'm too lazy to go back and look; was there something wrong with your old frame or were you just looking for something different?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sweet! Nice work!

You may have said this already, but I'm too lazy to go back and look; was there something wrong with your old frame or were you just looking for something different?

I kinda wanted something with a little more travel, and the i-drive bearings ended up being a little more maintenance and a little less durable than I wanted.

I was also sick of dealing with the integrated headset. I'll tell you what, this new crank bros headset has impressed me quite a bit already.

bvibert

Staff member
I kinda wanted something with a little more travel, and the i-drive bearings ended up being a little more maintenance and a little less durable than I wanted.

I was also sick of dealing with the integrated headset. I'll tell you what, this new crank bros headset has impressed me quite a bit already.

Were you having trouble with the headset loosing up or something, or was it just a pain to do maintenance on? Did the i-drive bearings fail (you said less durable) on you or was it mostly just the maintenance issues? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn what to watch out for with my next bike purchase.

Just out of curiosity; how much travel did the old frame have?

Trekchick

Meh, I don't need your generosity.

No wait, actually I do, since it's not really complete yet. I need to cable the bike and put the chain on, but everything else is done. See below.

And finally the derailleurs, wheels, seat/seat post. Just the cables and chain left, a quick tune and fitting and she'll be good to go.

P1020039.jpg
First of all, let me say, I'm drooling............sweeeeeet!
Nice work!

Second. I'll give you the extension. One more day!!!

Nice, really really nice.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
4".

The I-drive bearing was hard to learn how to adjust correctly and thusly I went through one set while I learned how... .I did have problems with my first headset loosening up and once it gets loose once and you ride with it like that for a while, it'll not be the same. It was better when I put a new one in, but it was a very fine line between having it too loose and too tight, i.e., drag in the bearings. Like maybe 10 degrees of turn on the headset screw.

So nothing serious, but I really wanted a good quality horst link bike.

And thanks for asking me to explain in great detail everything I disliked about the frame and fork I'm now about to try and sell.... :dunce:

bvibert

Staff member
4".

The I-drive bearing was hard to learn how to adjust correctly and thusly I went through one set while I learned how... .I did have problems with my first headset loosening up and once it gets loose once and you ride with it like that for a while, it'll not be the same. It was better when I put a new one in, but it was a very fine line between having it too loose and too tight, i.e., drag in the bearings. Like maybe 10 degrees of turn on the headset screw.

And thanks for asking me to explain in great detail everything I disliked about the frame and fork I'm now about to try and sell.... :dunce:

Sounds like a piece of junk, I'll give you $50 for it... ;)

tjf67

4".

Why a 4"? Was the price right or something. Im going through the expense rnow and would not have pulled the trigger other than the fact i am going from 3" to 5.75.

Great bike BTW you dont here any negatives about them

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Why a 4"? Was the price right or something. Im going through the expense rnow and would not have pulled the trigger other than the fact i am going from 3" to 5.75.

Great bike BTW you dont here any negatives about them

I'm going from a 4" to a 4"/5" (adjustable rear travel).

So what's the question again?