• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woo? A package for Marc? Well this looks quite nice...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
P1020038.jpg

I do believe I'm going to enjoy myself on this thing....

bvibert

Staff member
Are you transferring the headset, or did you get a new one?

I really want to build a bike someday, I'm jealous.

bvibert

Staff member
BTW - You're lucky you had something cool in this thread, otherwise I was ready to bust your chops about talking about how your package looks quite nice...;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

New headset, the one on the GT is an integrated setup, and as you can see, this frame is not.

I got a crank bros. direct set, the all mountain one. Supposed to be as durable as a king without the cost of having your bearing say "King" on it.

I've got a Fox Talas 32 RLC fork coming for it... and the rest is stuff coming from the GT, includes XT shifters/levers, XT fd, XTR rd, avid mechanical discs, RF Evolve XC crank... XT hubs, Mavic 221 disc rims... etc. etc.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sweet, did you get it used?

Used, from fleabay. The guy that sold it was actually quite cool, the frame is very clean, scratches and dings and typical wear but def. not abused. He replaced the stainless shock pivot bolts with titanium.

After dealing with the maintenance headaches with the i-drive frame, I really wanted a high quality, well designed horst setup (well I would've ridden a DW just as fast) and everything I hear about Titus is great. Quality to rival Ellsworth, Turner, Ventana, Intense etc.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

It's fun the first time... then it's just kinda routine. If you really want to start, do a "deep clean" on your bike. Start taking stuff apart.

That's how I learned. I had an old version of Zinn's book, no internet at the time, and I just started taking stuff apart to see how it worked and how to put it back together.

bvibert

Staff member
It's fun the first time... then it's just kinda routine. If you really want to start, do a "deep clean" on your bike. Start taking stuff apart.

That's how I learned. I had an old version of Zinn's book, no internet at the time, and I just started taking stuff apart to see how it worked and how to put it back together.

Well, I do like taking stuff apart and putting it back together, and bikes are way easier than cars, which is what I used to play with mostly. I have Zinn's and I've already started fiddling with stuff on the bike, there was the headset a few weeks ago and then the bottom bracket and cranks the other day to clear up a creak that had developed.

One of these days I'm going to take a fork apart. I'll probably wait for winter though, just in case. ;)

I really want to try my hand at building a set of wheels some day, but that would probably go much smoother with some sort of truing stand.

bvibert

Staff member
New headset, the one on the GT is an integrated setup, and as you can see, this frame is not.

I got a crank bros. direct set, the all mountain one. Supposed to be as durable as a king without the cost of having your bearing say "King" on it.

I've got a Fox Talas 32 RLC fork coming for it... and the rest is stuff coming from the GT, includes XT shifters/levers, XT fd, XTR rd, avid mechanical discs, RF Evolve XC crank... XT hubs, Mavic 221 disc rims... etc. etc.

I was just curious how you intended to get the headset cups out of the frame if you were going to transfer them over. Obviously that won't be a problem.

Sounds like you're going to end up with a pretty kick ass rig when you're done. When do you plan on switching everything over?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I was just curious how you intended to get the headset cups out of the frame if you were going to transfer them over. Obviously that won't be a problem.

Sounds like you're going to end up with a pretty kick ass rig when you're done. When do you plan on switching everything over?

As soon as I can get my fork... and I'm tied up at a wedding next weekend, so probably the week following this one I'll put it all together, and have it ready to go to Killington around August 9/10.

That does look like a nice six bar slider linkage.

:dunce: Why thank you sir, I was thinking the exact same thing.

cbcbd

Sweet, and yeah, I'm kinda jealous that you get to rebuild, but I haven't ridden my bike in so long I just kinda wanna get setup (rear wheel rebuild, waiting on parts...) and go riding. I guess I need two bikes... one to constantly tinker with and a working one so I can ride :D

btw, that's a shitty crankset you got...sorry. Oh wait, what do you say? I have the same one? Oh snap...

MR. evil

I really want to try my hand at building a set of wheels some day, but that would probably go much smoother with some sort of truing stand.

Don't waste your money without being taught by someone that knows what they are doing. You will also need alot more than a truing stand. There are several jigs you need as well. Wheel building is an art form, most wheels these days are machine built. My friend Chris (the one that didn;t crash today) builds wheels. He is the one who advised me not to waste my time trying when I expressed in interest like you. Even though he knows how to build them, and can do a really nice job he usually pays someone else to do it. If you don't do it all the time it takes forever to do.

Marc, sweet ride!