• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Joined the helmet ranks today

tirolerpeter

ALLSKIING said:
Bought a Giro Titanium. Feels good fits nice. Better to be safe then sorry. :D Got it on sale for $70.

Good buy! I paid about $120 for my Giro three years ago. I wouldn't ski without it. In fact, I helicoptered off a mogul on a double black at Belleayre on Thursday afternoon. Landed on my head and left shoulder. Head is fine..shoulder is sore as hell!

tjd

I too joined the rank of the helmeted a couple of weeks ago with a Rossi helmet after my 7 year old asked me why she had to wear a helmet and I didn't. Well, couldn't argue with the logic - so now we all wear helmets when skiing. I have everything packed (including helmets :) ) for tomorrow's adventures on the slopes.

BeanoNYC

In your opinion folks....what are the more comfortable helmets? This will be my next skiing related purchase. I'm also looking for something that doesn't impede hearing. Giro nine maybe?

stomachdoc

I think you have to try them on to see what fits your head the best. I switched from a Leedom to a Giro Nine with the integrated iPod speakers. The integrated speakers are the best invention since sliced bread for those of us who like to ski with music. Also, the ear pieces don 't completely block out sound. I actuallly found the Leedom to be a bit more comfortable and a bit warmer, however.

tirolerpeter

Helmet comfort

Comfort is very subjective. You have to try a few different "brain buckets" until you get the right feel. I absolutely oppose wearing earphones and listening to music while skiing. The last thing I need is loud music to distract me from focusing on what I am doing. Besides, listening and skiing is like driving with earphones on. How can you have situational awareness when you are surrounded by sound?

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
In your opinion folks....what are the more comfortable helmets? This will be my next skiing related purchase. I'm also looking for something that doesn't impede hearing. Giro nine maybe?
You gotta just try them on. I have a Giro 9 and I love it. It doesn't even seem like I'm wearing it and it doesn't impeded hearing at all. A bit of advice: if you fall in between sizes like I do, go with the larger size so you can fit a balaclava hood underneath it on those really cold days.

M

MsMtSnow

Personally

Personally I'm not a fan of Giro, they've never fit my head right and I don't like the way they're constructed with all the vents anyway. I've been wearing a Briko for the past couple years and before that I always wore Boeri.

Jess

gores95

My daughter has a Giro S4 and it is great. I tried on both the Giro 9 and the Giro Fuse and was not crazy about the fit. I also tried on the Boeri Steez and again the fit was not right.

Finally tried Boeri Tactic and it fit GREAT! I started wearing it about a month or so ago and now I will not go back to a hat!

Bottom line try them on first.

Marc

DEVO

Yeah...I am not too worried about the fit seeing as I only paid $37.90 (w/ shipping) for a $120 helmet. If it doesn't fit I'll just sell it. I already have had someone offer me $50+. I just can't believe I didn't order more than one......what a dope...

UPS tracking says it'll be here Wednesday!

stomachdoc

Re: Helmet comfort

tirolerpeter said:
Comfort is very subjective. You have to try a few different "brain buckets" until you get the right feel. I absolutely oppose wearing earphones and listening to music while skiing. The last thing I need is loud music to distract me from focusing on what I am doing. Besides, listening and skiing is like driving with earphones on. How can you have situational awareness when you are surrounded by sound?

I agree that listening to music is not for everyone and I certainly don't allow my kids to do it. That being said, the Giro "Tune-Ups" does allow external sound in and, of course, I never listen to music loudly enough that I can't hear what's around me. However, no excuses, I agree it's not the right thing to do, but, boy, is it a blast! :D

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
uphillklimber said:
... bring all my face masks, of varying thicknesses and try the helmet on with them.

Great advice, I also suggest bringing your goggles as well, it seems silly but it can save you some discomfort, I have worn a helmet for 3 yrs now and when I go buy goggles or a mask I bring it along.

DEVO

My Giro nine came yesterday and it fits great. If people don't know about steepandcheap.com check it out!
Yesterday we bought my wife a leedum vandal for $31 from Sports Authority Danvers. Everything skiing ending in .99 and .97 is 40% off. That's just about everything.

DEVO

Everything on steepandcheap.com is one day. Every night at midnight (mountain time zone) the item changes. I don't know if items are ever repeated (ie: if it doesn't sell out). The only thing is you have to check it every day. But I am glad I did, 'cause now I finally have a helmet.....a $120 helmet for $37.90!!!

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Got the whole family helmets at the end of the season 2 years ago..rented for the kids before then...

Great deals at the end of the season...kids were like 40, and ours were 45 or so....

They were theirs all the time...I've worn mine once or twice...

If it's real cold, or if I'm in the woods, It's on....if it's cold and bluebird..it's not

What about spring skiing..helmets stay on?

you gotta remeber too...more people die riding a bike, than they do skiing...

But more people ride bikes than ski...so..who knows...