• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

02-26 TO 03-06 Nh Vt Me

Vortex

02-26 Loon
Conditions Soft Packed powder Mid 20's

The lines were short as the End of the Mass vacation week came and Nh stated. The blacked out Passes and get away day seemed to keep all manageable. Upper Flume and Angel street were the best of the year. I skied the lower mountain enjoying Blue ox and Picaroon also. I was able to go up the gondola with little time in line.

02/27 02/28 03/03 Sunday River
Windy Sunday and thurs warm and Beautiful on Monday temps in the Teens Plenty of soft snow entire time.

Sunday was a fight with Wind hold, Jordan did not open until 11. We headed that way, but when we got there it was shut down again so we took lift 13 back to Aurora. the Line to get across the commuter lift was all the way back to the Jordan Quad. It took us 1 1/2 hours to not get a run at Jordan. I spent the rest of the Day at Aurora. Northern lights was just awesome. My buddy and I went down Upper vortex on Sunday and got dead cookies the size of golf balls in the face only did that a couple of times the snow was till in gook shape on the sides. We worked our way back to Barker all was good Sunday Punch was in fine shape.
Monday.
A beautiful day. We stated out at White Cap Shock wave 1st run was great nice soft easy turning snow. White heat was next a little scratchy in the middle the sides were smooth and soft. Obsession was next the top of it was just glare ice the wind had blown all the snow off. We go over the ice and got into a groove just peferct snow. A blast. Back to shock wave and worked our way across to Aurora hit Vortex and Northern lights. We had more fun without the wind wipping. We made it over to Jordan for the 1st time in a while. No lines and had some nice runs worked back to Barker to do T-2 .... wow that was just beautiful.
Thurs. Did not make it until about 1. Skiied in a group of 9 people so it moved slowly. The wind was wipping again the group wanted to stay at Barker so we bounced around t-2 again was the best. Everyone, but me was cold so I headed over to Aurora and do Vortex and Northern lights again Northern lights was awesome. Vortex had taken its beating cause of the wind, but plenty of hard snow to turn in. Temp over there was 10 with blistering wind wind chill well below zero. I headed back to baker again to get t-2 and headed out.

Tues Cranmore temp mid 20's
Condtions Powder snowed all day
Well my son's 1st experience in Powder about 7 inches. Every run was fresh snow. He was into the ledges to get to the park leaving my wife and me in the dust. My daughter kept up, but the chase was on,
Kandahar and Gibson were our favoites. I love this place classic winding trails old style skiing. Alot of hooting and hollering.

Wed Attitash
teens packed powder
We went to go to the vertical challenge. Alot of fun out of the four of us 3 fourths 1 ninth. What a blast. I like the bear beak side the best Kachina was fun. The part I did not like was alot of flats to get between peaks . We had 4 inches of new snow half was groomed so we found a little powder again.
Crowds were mild never a line.

Friday Attitash
Mid 20's groomed packed powder
only went 2 hours had to check out of the room.
Snow was just wonderful. Everyone was an expert in that snow.

Sat
Burke
I'll leave most to TheTrailBoss
Temps 20's packed powder true hero snow.
The east bowl was fun The trees has a decent amount of snow in them on my limited entrances. The best was hanging with the crew. The conditions simply could not be beat.

Sunday Loon
Temps got to 40
The lines came back so I stayed on the East Basin double. I said the previous Sat that Flume and Angel Street were in the best shape of the year. Well update. Even better know. I did not get to tripple trouble, but it even had decent cover. Picked rock was the best of the year also. I left early 9 days in row I wanted to go home.

Vortex

My brain is fried my legs are fine. Actually my fore arms hurt from dragging my kids across the flats at Attitash and Cranmore. I have had real problems with my ankle but I took out the shims in my boots that make them more firm and went for less prefomance and now have less pain good trade off.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice report, Bob! I enjoyed my visit to Cranmore ten years ago (my, I'm dating myself!). This was pre-express quad era though. I like the east bowl area of Cranmore...sunny and warm. Nice trails, great location. :wink:

Great skiing with you again and hanging out. We'll have to do it again next season at Burke. You had a stellar day...Sunday it was snowing like he$% at Burke.

Ms. Trailboss liked you all.

Bob is the man if any of you want to get in some skiing.

Oh yeah...800th post..scary.

Vortex

The East Bowl chair is as good and old fashion as you can get. My daughter skied over there just to ride the lift. It bounced it swung back and forth (not scarry or dangerous) it was like an amusement park ride. TB your old school your not dating yourself. Nice words.