• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Teeter Totters and other obstacles

Trekchick

No apologies necessary for hijack, this is quite on topic.

I notice the clipless pedals help with bunny hops, down hills, and hill climbs.
The only time I tend to unclip(at leas one foot) is when I'm trying a new obstacle.
In the long run clipless pedals lend toward better balance, which should help with skinnies and bridges in the long run.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
YNo doubt that clipless pedals are more efficient, but they are not magically going to make you a better rider. Brain is not clearing these sections you are having issues with becuase he has clipless pedals. Its becuase he has more experience.
Yes, I am aware of this. (And yes, I know I have cheesy platforms.) Like I said, it's the lack of efficiency at times that's annoying me (mainly uphills, as described already by your beautiful wife).

If you are going to go clipless I'd recommend riding around your neighborhood and simply practicing clipping in and out for a while before you try them on the trails and panic at the wrong moment. I also had the "slip 'n stab" problem with my original platforms that came stock with my bike but, as Timmy said, it's because they were cheesy Kmart specials that just needed to get chucked.
Excellent advice! My FIL recommended the same when Brian switched (and also predicted that he would likely topple over at least once on the trail while getting used to them :lol:).

It's a difficult situation in that I'd like to try clipless, but that requires the additional investment of shoes... and if I don't like it and decide I want better platforms instead, that's more money spent. Decisions, decisions!

Trekchick - Thanks for your insight on the clipless debate! Definitely helpful!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've definitely had moments on tough downhills where clipless have helped hold my feet in where I would've been off the pedals had I been on platforms.

Yes, it's true, a lot downhillers use platforms... they also have like 10" of front and rear travel. I think clipless comes in very handy not just for pedaling efficiency, but if you're riding a more XC oriented bike with limited and harsh suspension on real rough and fast terrain, where you're more likely to get bounced around and what not. Also, I've seen some pretty nasty bear traps resulting from aggressive cage platforms.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I also predict within a season or two, if everyone continues riding regularly, all this apprehensive talk about obstacles and balance stunts and what not will become a thing of the past, similar to how when a large portion of the members here learned how to confindently ski moguls.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Excellent point Marc. Most of you are riding full suspension rigs. Mine is a hardtail - I am the suspension.

As for the discussion in the next season or two, you have to figure there will always be some new blood here... but the discussion will likely be less oriented in this area, at least not for the bulk of discussion.

Trekchick

Severine, or anyone new to clipless.
Make sure the clips are adjusted quite loose until you get used to them
Practice in your comfort zone and try to remember to stop in soft, grassy areas.
Don't be afraid to keep one foot unclipped until you get used to it.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You mean I shouldn't stop where I'll topple over onto logs? Geez, I'm already doing that with platforms. :dunce: :oops:

:lol:

Didn't know you could keep one foot unclipped. Good idea.

awf170

Severine, are you going use SPD pedals or Eggbeaters. SPDs are way easier to get used to at first since they take less foot twist to get out of. IMO, SPDs are better for dicking around on obsticles and anything you need to get in and out of the pedal a lot. Eggbeaters are better for muddy, DH, and XC riding.

Greg

Staff member
I also predict within a season or two, if everyone continues riding regularly, all this apprehensive talk about obstacles and balance stunts and what not will become a thing of the past, similar to how when a large portion of the members here learned how to confindently ski moguls.

Great point. I think Brian, Jeff and I have improved a lot on the MTBs this summer. There was a silly little downhill that we all stopped and oogled over the first time. Now we just barrel down it and launch off the ramp at the bottom where you can catch a rad 8-10" of air. :oops:

Seriously though, I can probably think of ten other "obstacles" that used to freak us all out. Pretty much cake now.

Severine, or anyone new to clipless.
Make sure the clips are adjusted quite loose until you get used to them
Practice in your comfort zone and try to remember to stop in soft, grassy areas.
Don't be afraid to keep one foot unclipped until you get used to it.

They're SPD pedals (thanks to Tim). :D

Yep - dial back the release tension and you might be surprised how easily you could unclip. On my first ride with clipless, I had them at the factory setting which was about half-way. I crashed miserably that day. Brian will get you set up. And yeah, I ride some areas unclipped from time to time, but that was easier on my hybrid pedals (clipless with a cage around them). Not as simple on a true clipless pedal. Mostly my riding unclipped is after coming from a start when I can't get the second pedal engaged right away. I'll then clip in when the terrain is more suitable to do so.

One thing about obstacles and rough terrain. More often than not speed is your friend, even on a hardtail. Hitting technical stuff while on the middle chainring usually results in me clearing things easier than spinning the crank a million miles an hour on the granny gear. I've been riding on the small ring less and less. As my leg strength and endurance have improved doing so even on bigger climbs makes easy climbs in the granny a bit more challenging. Plus I'm riding faster overall. With that said, I can see the appeal of a single speed, not that I have any interest or plans for trying it.

awf170

Great point. I think Brian, Jeff and I have improved a lot on the MTBs this summer. There was a silly little downhill that we all stopped and oogled over the first time. Now we just barrel down it and launch off the ramp at the bottom where you can catch a rad 8-10" of air. :oops:

Seriously though, I can probably think of ten other "obstacles" that used to freak us all out. Pretty much cake now.

Yep - dial back the release tension and you might be surprised how easily you could unclip. On my first ride with clipless, I had them at the factory setting which was about half-way. I crashed miserably that day. Brian will get you set up. And yeah, I ride some areas unclipped from time to time, but that was easier on my hybrid pedals (clipless with a cage around them). Not as simple on a true clipless pedal. Mostly my riding unclipped is after coming from a start when I can't get the second pedal engaged right away. I'll then clip in when the terrain is more suitable to do so.

One thing about obstacles and rough terrain. More often than not speed is your friend, even on a hardtail. Hitting technical stuff while on the middle chainring usually results in me clearing things easier than spinning the crank a million miles an hour on the granny gear. I've been riding on the small ring less and less. As my leg strength and endurance have improved doing so even on bigger climbs makes easy climbs in the granny a bit more challenging. Plus I'm riding faster overall. With that said, I can see the appeal of a single speed, not that I have any interest or plans for trying it.

My SPDs are set at the maximum release setting, but they are so old and worn down I have no idea how this would compare to a new pair. My guess is probably around halfway.

And yeah the middle gear is your friend. Finally after a ton of heckling one of the guys I ride with convinced my to just ride in the middle ring unless your legs are completely cooked. After about four more hours of riding I have only gone into the granny gear once. Speed is definitely your friend on technical climbs. One thing I started doing now is getting as much speed as possible in the flats. So many of the climbs in Lynn Woods are so short (but super technical) that if you get enough speed in the flats you barely need to pedal on the uphill. Saves so much energy it is ridiculous. Darn biking is fun, I think I'm going to go out in the pouring rain in a few minutes.

Trekchick

One more tip.
Make sure your seat is adjusted high enough.
If you "twist" to unclip while your seat is too low, it may cause added torque on your knee.
Higher seat position is not ideal for down hills, but is great for most everything else, and is tons better for your knees.

MR. evil

One more tip.
Make sure your seat is adjusted high enough.
If you "twist" to unclip while your seat is too low, it may cause added torque on your knee.
Higher seat position is not ideal for down hills, but is great for most everything else, and is tons better for your knees.

That is why you get one of these
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=5815

The best thing I have ever purchased for a bike.

MR. evil

You mean I shouldn't stop where I'll topple over onto logs? Geez, I'm already doing that with platforms. :dunce: :oops:

:lol:

I wouldn't recomend riding with one foot unclipped on the pedals that I gave you. They are very small and it is very hard to keep your foot on them when not clipped in. If you want the freedom to ride with one foot unclipped get some of the clipless pedals that have a small platform around them like these
http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-pd-m424-pedals/

These are also good for re-starting in rocky sections. It is easy to get the first foot clipped in becuase your not moving. But once moving it can be hard getting the 2nd floot clipped in. These give you a platform you can pedal with until you find a smoother spot to clip in on.

I also wanted to point out that aot of people complain the SPD pedals can cuase knee pain. If you do find your knees bugging you after switching to the SPD's you can switch to either Eggbeater style pedals or Time Atac's. Both of those styles of clipless pedals allow for more freesdom for your foot to move (also called float) and are easier on the knees. I switched from years of riding SPD's to a pedal with an Eggbeater style clip this year and my knees were much happier for the change. As for shoes, I recomend mountain bike specific shoes. These are more like a hiking boots / shoes. The will have a softer rubber sole and also have tread. They make hike-a-bike stuff much easier. They are also easier on the knees than the rigid soled road style shoes many people wear for MTB.

Tim

Greg

Staff member
I wouldn't recomend riding with one foot unclipped on the pedals that I gave you. They are very small and it is very hard to keep your foot on them when not clipped in. If you want the freedom to ride with one foot unclipped get some of the clipless pedals that have a small platform around them like these

These are also good for re-starting in rocky sections. It is easy to get the first foot clipped in becuase your not moving. But once moving it can be hard getting the 2nd floot clipped in. These give you a platform you can pedal with until you find a smoother spot to clip in on.

Those hybrid pedals are what Jeff and I started out on. There definitely is some additional real estate with them to pedal unclipped, but it is doable on my M505s. The clipless component on the M424 is elevated quite a bit off the cage so you end up balancing on it anyway, but if you slip off unclipped that cage can catch you which like you mention can help starting out. The mechanism feels identical. Carrie - if you already have clipless, try them out a few times before investing in a hybrid pedal. You might find you don't even need it. Or you might discover you hate clipless all together. Either way there's no additional money out of your pocket to find out. Some of the reviews on the M424 on MTBR are unfavorable. A lot of comments about the cage exploding and breaking off. I never had a problem with them, but the resin is pretty tweaked.

Greg

Staff member
Do any of you guys do those wicked gap jumps on mountain bikes I see on youtube??

I've been riding less than three months...

I really have no interest in doing any of that freeride stuff. I'm strictly an XC guy.

cbcbd

My SPDs are set at the maximum release setting, but they are so old and worn down I have no idea how this would compare to a new pair. My guess is probably around halfway.
So you have it set loose? Watch out when they might get unclipped mid air... kinda scary and bad for the balls. Will happen more when your cleats start wearing out.

+1
Its hard to keep your foot on those, no way to stop it from slipping. I would especially not want to be unclipped during tough sections.

I had some 424s... and just like Greg mentioned, the platform around it doesn't really help since you're still balanced on the metal part. Maybe it helps a little, but IMO not worth it.
I haven't tried ATACs or Eggbeaters but sounds like I might have to.

MR. evil

I haven't tried ATACs or Eggbeaters but sounds like I might have to.

Before my recent switch to platforms I was riding a pair of Crank Brother Acis 1's (egg beater style) and really liked them. They took several weeks to get used to coming from years on SPD's. I also really like how the egg beaters shed mud. I have also never heard anyone complain about the Time Atac's.

Trekchick

Marc, Gap jumps are freaky!!! :eek:

This is video of the log skinny that I posted the still of earlier in this thread.
What I noticed is that, even though the log is significantly wide, there is still a well,...........freak out factor.