• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Age???

What is your age?

• Total voters

awf170

Strat said:
I'm 15... does that make me the youngest? Back when the Sugarbush RSN forum was just Sugarbush instead of those ADK guys that flood it now, I was a frequent poster, and I was 13 then...

powderhound is younger i think (14?) im 16

BeanoNYC

As a High School Teacher, I'm psyched to see some younger interest in this forum. Austin's posts are ALWAYS mature, interesting and considerate of others..... he's a real pleasure to have around. That being said I think Austin needs some friends his age around here, I think he's starting to turn into an old fart like the rest of us. ;)

Paul

BeanoNYC said:
As a High School Teacher, I'm psyched to see some younger interest in this forum. Austin's posts are ALWAYS mature, interesting and considerate of others..... he's a real pleasure to have around. That being said I think Austin needs some friends his age around here, I think he's starting to turn into an old fart like the rest of us. ;)

Agreed, Powderhound and Strat also seem to be great additions to the board.

ctenidae

All you young whippersnappers in here with your loud rock music and your funny haircuts, you don't know squat about any real skiing. Why, I remember when I was your age, we didn't have fancy skis- we had to go out and rassle alligators, and strap 'em on our feet. We wanted snowshoes, we had to catch us a couple beavers and get 'em to bit the toe of our boots and walk on their tails. You kids have it so easy, with your high speed quads and your fancy-schmancy gondolas. We wanted to get to the top of the mountain, we had to walk, and pull all our frineds up behind us. Then we'd head down, alligators snappin' and snarlin' the whole way, and head back up, takin' turns pulling everyone.

I could go on, but I won't.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
ctenidae said:
All you young whippersnappers in here with your loud rock music and your funny haircuts, you don't know squat about any real skiing. Why, I remember when I was your age, we didn't have fancy skis- we had to go out and rassle alligators, and strap 'em on our feet. We wanted snowshoes, we had to catch us a couple beavers and get 'em to bit the toe of our boots and walk on their tails. You kids have it so easy, with your high speed quads and your fancy-schmancy gondolas. We wanted to get to the top of the mountain, we had to walk, and pull all our frineds up behind us. Then we'd head down, alligators snappin' and snarlin' the whole way, and head back up, takin' turns pulling everyone.

I snowboard :p

ctenidae

Sometimes there weren't enoough alligators to go around, so you'd have to stand on your buddy, then it'd be your turn to be the board next time around. That's snowboarding.

Made the haul back up the mountain lighter, too.

awf170

ctenidae said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: and once you put those alligator skis on you had to ski back down the mountain up hill, right :wink: :lol:

Vortex

Still 39, 2 kids 1 wife. As to the younger group... Well done. Nice ballance. Our perspectives are different and that is good. I post on a few other boards and the teen factor can be negitive at times IMO. That does not seem to be the case here at all. :D

snowsprite

Turned 40 on May 30th, 1 kid aged 10, and one husband 39 who is as addicted to winter sports as I am. 8)

As I was posting about my kid's graduation to middle school, I was thinking: I'll only be 47 when he graduates High School and goes off to college!

Sprite

Vortex

snowspritect said:
Turned 40 on May 30th, 1 kid aged 10, and one husband 39 who is as addicted to winter sports as I am. 8)

As I was posting about my kid's graduation to middle school, I was thinking: I'll only be 47 when he graduates High School and goes off to college!

Sprite

46 for my 1st and 48 for my 2nd. Saving money for it. It will never be enough. :wink:

tjd

Aged 39 and planning on staying that way for a while! :)

3 Kids - ages 4, 6, & 8. Just have to get the 4YO to "click" on skiing and we are all set!

krisskis

snowspritect said:

Sprite

OK Sprite...you are old...hahahaha...i will be 43 when son graduates and 47 when daughter does...damn...now i feel old
:beer:

hammer

Bob R said:
snowspritect said:

Sprite

46 for my 1st and 48 for my 2nd. Saving money for it. It will never be enough. :wink:
I'll be 47 when the first one goes to college and 51 when the second one does.

At least the kids ages are spaced (not intentionally) so that there won't be two tuition bills at the same time.

I hope they each find a good state school to go to...

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
hammer said:
At least the kids ages are spaced (not intentionally) so that there won't be two tuition bills at the same time.

I hope they each find a good state school to go to...
You would think this reasoning is sound, but the reverse is true. If you have two kids in school, the EFC (expected family contribution, determined by your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)) is split between both kids, allowing them to qualify for more aid - either scholarships or federal loans. I'm in the same boat - with a just-3-year-old and nothing on the way yet, we can't have them closer than 4 years apart.

At a financial aid meeting at Rochester Institute of Technology, I remember the speaker commenting that parents of twins make out the best. My dad said that he and my mom should have had us two kids closer together instead of 5 years apart. :roll:

The best bet is to tell them to study their arses off. My nephew heads off to UMass Amherst this fall with nearly everything paid for in state scholarships. He graduated 17th in an elite class where 85%+ graduates were going to higher education. Smart young man he is. 8)

Smitty

Tyrolean_skier

Bob R said:
snowspritect said:

Sprite

I am a bit older than you guys :cry: - currently 48. My daughter starts kindergarden this coming September. I figure that I will be working way into my 70s to put her and her brother through college. I ski generally with the kids in our group (21 and 17) and I must say that it is getting harder to keep up with them in the trees.

For this thread, I am married with two children (8 and almost 5). All four of us ski and my kids will surpass me in skiing ability in a few years.