• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 08/09/08

bvibert

Staff member
My wife and I were able to get away from the kids for a while today. What better thing to do on a beautiful 70 degree day than go for a MTB ride. We got going about 2 hours later than originally planned due to pure laziness and an emergency bike repair that I caught just before leaving. As we were getting ready at the trail head a pretty weary rider came out and advised to be careful as it was very wet and slippery in there. We started with the typical twisties north of scoville before heading across to the twisties south of scoville. There were some more softer spots than usual, but nothing especially slippery, I think that a lot of it dried out by the time we got in there after noon. I noticed that someone did some nice trail work on the ending part of the latter section just before hitting east chippens, in the section that's almost always wet. They did some rock armoring of some of the real muddy parts and put in a braid block or two. We headed across east chippens and did all of b-street this time before doubling back on the main trail and taking the quicker way back to the car. My wife continued to progress and handled several obstacles without incident. :D

I did a quick solo jaunt across into the cemetery twisties to see if my latest repair attempts were successful. It appears so as I didn't have any problems. The repair that I preformed right before leaving was to clean, reassemble, and readjust my rear hub as it had loosened up and I believe was the main cause of my problems. :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sounds like fun!
Sev try out the spd's yet?
Not yet. Still need shoes. I'm trying to hit up the parental units for some early birthday cash to put towards them. I'm a poor student now, remember? ;)

I had a lot of fun! Getting easier to go over the usual obstacles... the rock pile with the knotty log (which is what we posted for pictures before) did throw me this time. I hit it at the wrong angle, but I recovered for the most part. No harm. A few new things... I did go over a very little "bridge" today. :lol: Without incident, too! Would have loved to have stayed out longer today. Next time!

Greg

Staff member
A few new things... I did go over a very little "bridge" today. :lol: Without incident, too!

Lemme guess. At the end of the B Street section? Nice. Everything is a stepping stone. Nice job getting out!

bvibert

Staff member
Lemme guess. At the end of the B Street section? Nice. Everything is a stepping stone. Nice job getting out!

I guess it was towards the end of b street. I think we're talking about the same one.

Trekchick

Good job Carrie!
With me, riding tentatively at the moment, and you getting out there with enthusiasm, you're probably riding stuff I won't.
This is awesome!

Greg

Staff member
I noticed that someone did some nice trail work on the ending part of the latter section just before hitting east chippens, in the section that's almost always wet. They did some rock armoring of some of the real muddy parts and put in a braid block or two.

Yes, indeed. Some nice "masonry" covering up the muddiest spots in there now. Nice work whoever that was. I sometimes feel compelled to stop and fix something sometimes, but don't because (a) I don't know what I'm doing (not that it's rocket science) and (b) usually am having too much fun riding. There is one spot on the straight part of B Street that desperately needs a bridge of some sort.

MR. evil

Yes, indeed. Some nice "masonry" covering up the muddiest spots in there now. Nice work whoever that was. I sometimes feel compelled to stop and fix something sometimes, but don't because (a) I don't know what I'm doing (not that it's rocket science) and (b) usually am having too much fun riding. There is one spot on the straight part of B Street that desperately needs a bridge of some sort.

Randi and I ran across a guy riding with a Shovel on his back at Nass Last Monday. Soon after I saw some of the new rock work and it looked fresh. I think he may have been the one to do the work.

bvibert

Staff member
For whatever reason, I can't figure out where these area shot. Nice riding! :)

The first one is at the beginning of the section of the twisties south of Scoville, it's in the part that we've been skipping on the way out so that would could hit the stretch with the log crossing that you OTB'd on last time.

The second one is on section right at the beginning of the short way back to the lot from the big intersection just east of East Chippens (near where B-Street starts).

Greg

Staff member
The first one is at the beginning of the section of the twisties south of Scoville, it's in the part that we've been skipping on the way out so that would could hit the stretch with the log crossing that you OTB'd on last time.

The second one is on section right at the beginning of the short way back to the lot from the big intersection just east of East Chippens (near where B-Street starts).

Ah, okay. Got it. I did hit that log on the way out of that area yesterday morning. That little drop is a fun one to practice wheelying off of.

Greg

Staff member
I'm getting there. :D Thanks! Lots more fun than I ever imagined. Up until this year, all I ever experienced was stuff like at White Memorial and wasn't sure why you guys were so hyped up about it. Now I know! :D

When are you coming out with the rest of us?

bvibert

Staff member
When Brian says I'm ready.

...and I can get someone to watch the kids. ;)

Carrie handles the stuff that her and I have been riding just fine, but she's at no where near as fast of a pace as Greg normally sets through there. One of these weekends when we have plenty of time I'm going to take her on the standard loop to see how she does with the hills, both up and down.

MRGisevil

When Brian says I'm ready.

...and I can get someone to watch the kids. ;)

Horse crap! You're ready now! I'll come along if you don't want to be stuck with just the men. I can see how that could be intimidating...they do have a tendancy to whine :lol: hugs guys xD

MR. evil

Come along this Sunday to West Hartford. Randi will come and seeing how only Brian or I know the place one of us will be leading the ride and setting the pace.

Greg

Staff member
Carrie handles the stuff that her and I have been riding just fine, but she's at no where near as fast of a pace as Greg normally sets through there. One of these weekends when we have plenty of time I'm going to take her on the standard loop to see how she does with the hills, both up and down.

Funny how you still think I take some sort of superhuman pace through there. When you lead, it's almost the same pace... :lol:

With that said, maybe we should do a newb/slower paced ride at Nass. I could envision Carrie and Marge, as well as maybe gmcunni and perhaps we could talk 2knees or Grassi21 to come along. I have no problem chilling on the pace. Not like I haven't got any riding in or anything. Put me in the back, or if I lead, I'll just ride and stop for a while. Maybe this Sunday? Nass Newb Ride?