• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on Discount Warehouses

wa-loaf

Yes, I get a respectable 32mpg. But I don't pay for the gas, hence I don't incur a cost driving to the warehouse.

How is it you don't pay for gas. Did you win some kind of contest or something? Got a sugar mama?

Against my better judgement......

If your loading up on meat in an extra freezer, the cost of the freezer & the electricity to run it (electricity - energy prices have been going up even faster than food) has to be allocated into the cost of goods consumed.

If you need an SUV or a van to bring home all your goodies because they don't fit in a Kia or a Prius, that should be factored in.

From home, you could ride a bike everyday to the local market, pick up some fresh food. While the steak may be 1.00 a pound more & the meal cost you $5.00 more You've saved gas, you've got a workout of the deal & you could skip the gym membership or buying the treadmill for yoru basement.

Now if live within walking distance of biking distance of the giant box store, then I guess you have some quality of life issues to work out & smog & pollution don't bother you.

As far as all the idiots in the self-check-out line that make me go to the retro check out where I can interact with a 16 year old who wants to be there even less than I do, (not always but what kind of rant would it be if I wasn't whining) these are the same people who are driving too slow in front of me or are tail-gating me once we leave the store.

Look in the mirror, you're probably one of them (we all are) if you're not a slow poke making sure you don't put your canned food on top of your bread, you're one of the jerks who are in such a hurry to get out of the store you don't give me ac hance to bag my food before yours is coming down the belt. Luckily for both of us, i don't end up with your food in my bag.

But then again, I don't eat the same swill you do.....

ahahahahaha...and you know you can buy caskets at some Coscos..after all the super processed food clogs your arterys and puts you into cardiac arrest..

Phillycore

BJ's rocks when you have a household of 6 that's for dayam sho'

Besides they have better quality meats than anywhere else in the area (even the meat markets)

Just like anything else you need to watch what you are buying and the cost of it...

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Back to the receipt-checking thing that seems to infuriate some folks so much.

I was in Sam's the other day and after I had paid, I went over to the snack counter where the pizza is pretty good and even bald employees are issued hair nets. The area is too tight to bring your cart so you need to park it and you can't keep your eye on it every second. There is some comfort that someone at the door is going to match the receipt that you have in hand with the stuff in the cart as it would be fairly easy to wisk out the door with someone elses purchases.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Back to the receipt-checking thing that seems to infuriate some folks so much.

I was in Sam's the other day and after I had paid, I went over to the snack counter where the pizza is pretty good and even bald employees are issued hair nets. The area is too tight to bring your cart so you need to park it and you can't keep your eye on it every second. There is some comfort that someone at the door is going to match the receipt that you have in hand with the stuff in the cart as it would be fairly easy to wisk out the door with someone elses purchases.

That's some of the funniest stuff I ever heard :lol:

Mike P.

So if you do busines with RootDKJ's company, his ski trips are baked into the cost of your products to cover the overhead......

Caskets,,, Do they do cremation at Costco? only question is where to be redistributed, Washington, Franconia Ridge, Monadnock, Bear, all of the above.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So if you do busines with RootDKJ's company, his ski trips are baked into the cost of your products to cover the overhead......

To an extent... Day trip to Blue Mtn...~158 miles round trip, yeah the company is gonna pay the tab on that one...weekend trip to Windham ~325 miles, same thing, but I'll have to refill once I cross back over the NJ border.

Trip to Killington is a bit different. I squeeze every ounce of gas in that tank I can before I leave NJ. As soon I hit Rutland, I'll top off, on my dime. Upon leaving VT, I can make the whole trip home on one tank again on my dime. That only seems fair.

But yes you are subsidizing my trips to BJ's ;)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

What a crock of crap:

"Costco
Ever wondered why your receipt is checked at the door? We make sure you have everything you bought, confirm you weren't charged twice, and we want to thank you for your business."

They really care if I was charged twice. But in all fairness, can't argue with discount warehouses receipt checking practice. In paying for a membership for the special privilege of joining these fine clubs, you also sign away your rights.

jaytrem

What a crock of crap:

"Costco
Ever wondered why your receipt is checked at the door? We make sure you have everything you bought, confirm you weren't charged twice, and we want to thank you for your business."

I agree that is a crock of crap, but yesterday they did notice we didn't recieve a discount on some chicken thing. Apparenlty it was a known issue, so they were looking for it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's all about Costco for us. Great food, good products, good prices, good service. We ordered a new computer from them online and got great service and a great price. Very, very happy. And for those riled up about receipt checking, what about the security gates at every other store?

thetrailboss

Staff member
...And FWIW Costco just got top marks in a consumer poll on top retailers. So they must be doing something right!

gmcunni

It's all about Costco for us. Great food, good products, good prices, good service. We ordered a new computer from them online and got great service and a great price. Very, very happy. And for those riled up about receipt checking, what about the security gates at every other store?

bought an HP laptop in Dec 09. Came with 1 year MFG warranty, costco adds a 2nd year and because i used my AMEX i got a 3rd year.

in year 2 they replaced the screen and now in 3rd year i'm about to open a ticket for a battery issue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
bought an HP laptop in Dec 09. Came with 1 year MFG warranty, costco adds a 2nd year and because i used my AMEX i got a 3rd year.

in year 2 they replaced the screen and now in 3rd year i'm about to open a ticket for a battery issue.

I might have mentioned it, but we first bought an HP from Best Buy and it went back literally two hours later. Pretty sad. The keyboard on the laptop was not working. We won't buy HP ever again. Went with Dell this time. Very happy.

o3jeff

I've noticed that if they see bigger ticket items in your cart, they check the receipt a lot closer. I don't have any problems with this especially with the lower prices on some things and as gmcunni mentioned, the extended warranty you also get.