• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount lift served MTB

bvibert

Staff member
Saw this posted on MTBR, thought it might interest some people in the area looking for lift served MTB.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=441258
MTBR; said:
My name is Owen Poland and I am the Assistant Director of Mt. Biking at Catamount. I wanted to let the Mt. Biking community in CT and RI that we will be having our opening weekend in two weeks with full lift serviced Mt. biking from 10-4 every Saturday until Oct 18th. We have top to bottom single track with terrain for all ability levels. To generate more interest in our opening we are offering lift tickets for a reduced price of $15 for the day. Check out both the catamount website(http://www.catamountski.com) for more details or go to our riders network site (http://freeridecatamount.ning.com/)
Hope to see some of you out there!

Greg

Staff member
Not sure I'd be interested in lift-serviced MTB, but maybe this warrants a road trip?

bvibert

Staff member
It sounds interesting. Unfortunately I can't get their website to load...

o3jeff

Not much on their site about it, just this

Mountain Biking Makes a Comeback!

June 20, 2008

FreeRide Catamount, Catamount's summer mountain biking series, is coming back to the lush, green slopes of Catamount. We'll be kicking things off on August 23rd and continue every Saturday through October 18th.

Check back regularly for new information as it becomes available.

gmcunni

i'm going!! my son has been after me to take him to lift-served MTB. this sounds perfect for us:

We have top to bottom single track with terrain for all ability levels.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It is kind of late, I think it was a newer idea that took some time for them to get rolling. However, fall and winter is so much nicer to bike in weather wise...You can always put on another layer..you can only take off so much!

But overall, I kind of agree with Greg, I'm not a huge fan of lift serviced mtbing. I like the climbs!

drjeff

If I'm driving that far for lift served I'd just as soon go to Snow.

While the course ropes are down over most of their lengths, both the x-country and the downhill courses (both the pro DH off the summit and the non pro DH off the top of Canyon Quad) are still in GREAT shape as of last weekend at Mount Snow.

All that needs a little work (and will be getting it soon) is the Dual Slalom course in the base area took a little drainage damage from all the t-storms last week (they had to cancel the scheduled Dual Slalom last saturday night being held in conjunction with the SoBe Downhill Series due to the wash out damage to the course :( )

gmcunni

tried to go last year but missed the last weekend by a week. we ended up doing their adventure park which was a blast.

highly likely i'll take Jake there this summer, probably a combo adventure park/mtb day.

bvibert

Staff member
For some reason they only do the MTB on Saturdays (except for this and one other weekend), which I thought was kinda weird... I guess they just don't have enough visits to justify both days on most weekends.

Greg

Staff member
whys that? u ride a lift to go skiing...

That post is a blast from the past. :lol: I'm sure lift-serviced is fun, but I don't think I'd do it often since I can just hop on a bike a ride places closer than an hour+ away. Kinda ironic, I know cuz the opposite is true for me skiing with lift-serviced vs. touring. Actually though, in a way, it is a geographic limitation as touring requires travel early/late season which I haven't found worth burning a vacatino day or whatever. I guess it all boils down to a matter of convenience.