• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Handlebar video camera mount

Greg

Staff member
I like the ghetto version, very simple.. :)

I'm going to take a walk down the street to the hardware store after lunch and see if they have a machine screw and a clamp.

bvibert

Staff member
If they don't have a 1/4"-20 screw and hose clamp then it's time to find another hardware store.. ;)

I'd be a little worried about breaking the bottom part of the camera with all the bouncing around on a MTB ride without a base on the mount to stabilize the camera. Most tripods that I've seen have a fairly large sized platform that the camera screws onto.

Greg

Staff member
Did you find a good gps mount yet?

Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1056

If they don't have a 1/4"-20 screw and hose clamp then it's time to find another hardware store.. ;)

Well, this place turned out to be more of a hobby shop than a hardware store, but luckily they had the correct sized machine screw and 1/4" washers. They didn't have any lock washers though, but I might have one at home.

I'd be a little worried about breaking the bottom part of the camera with all the bouncing around on a MTB ride without a base on the mount to stabilize the camera. Most tripods that I've seen have a fairly large sized platform that the camera screws onto.

No problem. I picked up a fender washer to act as the base:

SSFenderWashers.jpg

I'm going to bug out of work early to see if I can get this thing fabricated for tonight's ride. It will be interesting to see how well my $1.82 investment works. :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Don't think I'd trust that on real bumpy stuff... probably wouldn't get very good footage on bumpy stuff with the camera on the handle bars. For Mtb'ing I'd stick with helmet mounted stuff.

Crankfire

Website
www.crankfire.com
If its cool, I might jump in on this ride. Still undecided... I might get the "lazies" by ride time. Seems to happen quite often this year..... :(

Also, I might be a few minutes past 6 showing up, if so, just go and I will try to catch up. What loop are you doing? Cemetery to Cornwall Up Over Down to 69 and Back?

Greg

Staff member
Don't think I'd trust that on real bumpy stuff... probably wouldn't get very good footage on bumpy stuff with the camera on the handle bars. For Mtb'ing I'd stick with helmet mounted stuff.

I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but again for a couple bucks it's worth a try....

If its cool, I might jump in on this ride. Still undecided... I might get the "lazies" by ride time. Seems to happen quite often this year..... :(

Also, I might be a few minutes past 6 showing up, if so, just go and I will try to catch up. What loop are you doing? Cemetery to Cornwall Up Over Down to 69 and Back?

That's the loop and yeah, you'll catch up... :lol:

bvibert

Staff member

You're welcome to join us. I'm sure you'll have no problem catching up. That's the loop that we're doing.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/33263-mtb-tuesday-8-12-08-raw.html

cbcbd

Hmm... I'd be worried with all the vibration ruining the camera. I would stay off real bumpy trails or just find a way to attach it to your helmet.
I've ruined a camera before from jostleing it around.

Greg

Staff member
The initial tests are successful. The camera is supposed to be shock-proof. We'll see how it goes. All in the name of media!

bvibert

Staff member
Hmm... I'd be worried with all the vibration ruining the camera. I would stay off real bumpy trails or just find a way to attach it to your helmet.
I've ruined a camera before from jostleing it around.

His video camera saves to memory card and has virtually no moving parts so I wouldn't be too worried about the vibrations ruining it.

Greg

Staff member
I guess we'll see how shock-proof it is on the downhills

The downhill footage is rough. The rest is decent. Nate told me about some software that has an image stabilization filter. I'll have to look into that. But all in all, the ghetto mount held up just fine.

Greg

Staff member
[post="297205"]Here's[/post] the result.

bvibert

Staff member
Are we going to see any more handle bar or helmet mounted video again this year?

I'd really like to get a helmet mounted setup one of these days...

Greg

Staff member
I don't no, maybe. It's kind of a pain in the ass to start and stop while riding, and if I don't I end up with gigs worth of boring footage. Tough to comb through all that.

Greg

Staff member