• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan RAW, 8/12/08

bvibert

Staff member
Great ride tonight. I seemed to have worked out the gremlins that plagued my last RAW ride, which it made it that much more awesomer. We did the standard loop, but didn't get too far in before Jeff encountered problems with his lefty and had to head back. At that same time Nate of Crankfire.com fame caught up to us and rode with us for the rest of the loop. I felt pretty good, though I effed up a couple of sections that I normally don't have trouble with. At the same time I cleared some sections that normally give me anxiety issues without giving them much thought.

Greg had his steezy new handlebar mounted video camera going so I'm hoping to see some rad video.

o3jeff

Definitely something wrong with the dampening and or rebound, every time I hit a bump it would rebound and top out with a metal to metal clank.

Will drop it off tomorrow morning when I run some errands at work.

Did you come back up 69 or cross it and do the trails back?

MR. evil

Definitely something wrong with the dampening and or rebound, every time I hit a bump it would rebound and top out with a metal to metal clank.

Dude, that sucks! I hope the LBS can fix it. From what I have read the lefty forks are so complex most shops have to send them out for repair.

o3jeff

I couldn't really find much over on mtbr as far as others having the same problems other than it sounds like there is a cartridge in there and the seals might of went since I cannot lock it out and when I turn the rebound knob there is no clicks, just turns smoothly. On the trail we added some more air that I never knew it had:dunce: Brought it up to 130 and when I got home it was down back down to about 105.

Also on mtbr they talk about reseting it every 1-2 months or so, but I do not think that has anything to do with what I experienced.

bvibert

Staff member

We took the trails back.

o3jeff

Dude, that sucks! I hope the LBS can fix it. From what I have read the lefty forks are so complex most shops have to send them out for repair.

Thats what it sounds like, they can change the oil and do basic maintenance, but major stuff they have to send out.

Good thing I still have the Rockhopper8)

Greg

Staff member
Awesome ride tonight. Sorry Jeff about the equipment issue. The video came out decent. A little dizzying, but still interesting. Compressing 27 minutes of footage (2 GB) into a 3 minute movie was a challenge, but it's done and I'll start uploading tonight and post the links in the morning.

Greg

Staff member
Vid

Again, it's a little dizzying being mounted on the bars with the bike leaning and whatnot, but overall the shakiness is not too bad. Certainly not bad for a $1.82 mount... :lol: Here it is:

High Res, 126 MB

YouTubage:

Enjoy!

o3jeff

Great job both of you on doing the bridges. Anyone else do that plywood looking one that there is video of Nate going over?

bvibert

Staff member
Great vid Greg! Thanks for doing that. :beer:

Great job both of you on doing the bridges. Anyone else do that plywood looking one that there is video of Nate going over?

No we didn't attempt that one, we didn't even walk on it.

o3jeff

After downloading, printing and reading the manuals on my bike finally, my guess is that a seal went on the dampening cartridge.

o3jeff

Hopefully they can fix it quickly.

Those seals are usually replaced during the routine maintenance so they should be able to do it at the LBS in a reasonable amount of time, if not I will be sporting the HT:spin:

Will be dropping it off around 10 this morning when they open.