• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should we disable the member post count?

Should we disable the member post count?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

highpeaksdrifter

I can’t believe I’m going to write this, but my sense of fair play is making me. This feels like the anti-GSS rule. It’s fun for him to get his post count up for whatever reason, but it’s fun for me to start threads and see where they go. It seems like a to each his own kind of thing.

GSS, pisses me off a lot. His obsession with bumps and stupid crap that interrupts threads bother me too. However, some people go for that and like he says he has his fans.

I think once we get closer to ski season things will work themselves out on their own.

I want to cancel my vote. I see both sides of this. It doesn't mean I like what he does, I don't want to change something to try to punish one person. That's what he feels like to me.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
This is an example of why the post counts could be counted differently.

The forums could be set up for post counts to count in some areas, and not in others, such as th Miscellaneous Discussion area. That way, the post counts would be based on posting in Technical areas, Travel, Trip Reports and Community building, and not with the games and rants.
I can see what you're saying in that another forum I participate on doesn't count posts in their for sale section, for example. But like Brian mentioned, there are still drivel posts in the "main" forums as well.

Honestly, I don't really give a crap. IMHO, the post count isn't really important - it doesn't mean anything. If the post count goes, I'd like to see the peaks stay. But otherwise, I've been on another board that rated users based on their posts and saw it get ugly. I could see the same happening here.

Vortex

I voted yes.

I think this forum has matured to a point where we all know who the better contributors are. Numbers don't matter, it's content. Maybe keep the mountains as a marker. Once you hit over 1000, your a heavy hitter.

I would, however, suggest this happens after you kit your 20K in a few weeks. Quite a milestone.

Exactly how I feel.

bvibert

Staff member
I want to cancel my vote. I see both sides of this. It doesn't mean I like what he does, I don't want to change something to try to punish one person. That's what he feels like to me.

Done.

Folks please try to be sure about your vote before you cast it. It starts to get confusing when people change their votes.

BeanoNYC

Hope you got my yes then no then yes then no then yes then no then yes then no then yes then no then yes then no then yes then no then yes correct fellas.

bvibert

Staff member
Err, my vote is still a yes, when it should be a no.

There's no way to change the names once they're in there. We have adjusted the numbers accordingly though. You and Andy each flipped sides so you canceled each other out and then HPD retracted his vote so the Yes's now show one less than the number of people displayed for it.

Greg

Staff member
Err, my vote is still a yes, when it should be a no.

We can't change where the public display of the your vote goes. We updated the totals though and your change and Andy's sorta cancel each other.

Trekchick

I can see what you're saying in that another forum I participate on doesn't count posts in their for sale section, for example. But like Brian mentioned, there are still drivel posts in the "main" forums as well.

Honestly, I don't really give a crap. IMHO, the post count isn't really important - it doesn't mean anything. If the post count goes, I'd like to see the peaks stay. But otherwise, I've been on another board that rated users based on their posts and saw it get ugly. I could see the same happening here.
^^^^^ exactly the point.

Its not important enough to stop counting posts, or to continue, either way.

I participate on a forum where this was a huge discussion based on a thread that went on for thousands of pages with "nothing posts"
We ended up adding on to our post counts, complaining about post whoring. In the end nothing changed and it isn't even an after thought today.

BeanoNYC

I participate on a forum where this was a huge discussion based on a thread that went on for thousands of pages with "nothing posts"
We ended up adding on to our post counts, complaining about post whoring. In the end nothing changed and it isn't even an after thought today.

What forum is that? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.