• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should we disable the member post count?

Should we disable the member post count?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekchick

I was being sarcastic at first thinking you meant this forum, but I got it when I reread your post. Hey...your almost at 1000. Congrats (Just in Case) ;)
As opposed to the 12,000 + I have on epic............
Its all good, and its all for community building around the sport we love.
C'mon Poste #1000
popcorn.gif

Moe Ghoul

I never look at post #'s. Seems like a trivial stat. One word posts or "Song Title" posts shouldn't even count, imo. That goes for meal threads, and a few others. Not that they aren't fun for killing time.

BeanoNYC

I never look at post #'s. Seems like a trivial stat. One word posts or "Song Title" posts shouldn't even count, imo. That goes for meal threads, and a few others. Not that they aren't fun for killing time.

Billy Jean

Had french toast and eggs at the coffee shop this morning.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's why other forums that try to keep the post counts to relevant issues won't count posts in their games/selling/misc/etc type forums. Now that I think about, I've been on a couple like that (they kept games and jokes as separate parts of the forum, for example, because they didn't want the posts counting like they did in the "meaty" issues). I don't post on either of those forums now though.

lol. I mean how can you not appreciate this? ;-) He doesn't take himself at all seriously, which is why it's fun.

The day I take myself seriously will be a sad day...one of the cool things about skiing is that when you ski..you feel like a child..mad Peter Pan yo!!!!...

Done.

Folks please try to be sure about your vote before you cast it. It starts to get confusing when people change their votes.

No changes to votes..when I'm on staff people will be more careful when they vote!!!!!!:evil:

Yup

Its really a non issue.
Meanwhile we're racking up posts discussing post counts..........
http://forums.alpinezone.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=33556

JEA!!!!

Billy Jean

Had french toast and eggs at the coffee shop this morning.

This post belongs in the breakfest thread beandip.....

snoseek

I voted no only because I see this as an irreversible overreaction to whatever the hell is going on around here. Honestly I could care less but thnik you should bring it all back up in winter when noone cares about summer drama.

Mildcat

The day I take myself seriously will be a sad day...one of the cool things about skiing is that when you ski..you feel like a child..mad Peter Pan yo!!!!...

No changes to votes..when I'm on staff people will be more careful when they vote!!!!!!:evil:

JEA!!!!

This post belongs in the breakfest thread beandip.....

WOW!!! He actually multi quoted!!!

To stay on topic I didn't vote because I don't really care either way. But can a Mod change my non vote to a maybe vote?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
As much as I rag on post whores and rolling out the congratulatory one thousand level mark posts, I think post counts are a good thing. I have absolutely never seen a forum without them activated. I didn't even know it was an option. You can't tell everything by a post count, but I think new or first time users find post counts helpful in knowing when to dismiss loud mouth trolls. Heck, even I use post counts to verify possible trolling action. Most consistent users know the top 50 or so posters by name. But there are occasionally people that have hundreds of post that I can not tell them from a brand new member. Post counts are also useful for welcoming new members (see previous sentence).

Here is the crux of the issue, IMO: By leaving post counts on the forum is it doing anything bad and by taking post counts away, is a piece of information that can occasionally be useful being removed? I think post counts don't hurt and they can add something.

Regarding reputation, I think it is a bit of a popularity contest from what I have seen at other forums. Everyone at T4T is "beyond repute" for example and the best way to get Reps over there is to post great trip reports with pictures. Does that make someone knowledgable and a resource of information for the community? Not necessarily. It means they post really cool trip reports. And when all of the "core" members reach the highest level (which seems to inevitably happen), I think it really lessens the impact and importance.

My vote is same same.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Okay, I finally read through all the previous responses :eek: One thought is if there could be a reputation system that worked "correctly" then that would be fantastic. Beano's other forum with Karma points sounds interesting but I would want to hear more. I think giving people an extremely limited amount of reputation points (like one or two per week tops) eliminates the popularity contest.

Reputation points should absolutely not be self serving as they are on a forum like T4T (which I am not ragging on the forum, but I just don't like the system on that site). In other words, you shouldn't need to "rep" other posters to get more points. It creates a self serving feedback loop for the highest number of posters and especially small "in" groups. The whole idea of reputation on internet forums would make for a fascinating sociological study.

What you would want to avoid is having posters that don't post much not being able to accumulate or distribute rep points at the same rate as veteran posters. In reference to my previous post's example about trip reports, another content issue is that someone that only posts trip reports could rack up tons of reputation points without really contributing any non-trip report content. So there would need to be some balance in that respect. I think reputation would be most beneficial when someone asks "can I trust this person that I don't really know to give a reliable answer?" I am not sure posting a lot of quality trip reports really contributes to reliable answers and good posting etiquette.

From a forum culture perspective, AlpineZone has always had a higher noise to signal ratio than other forums that discuss Northeast skiing and riding. There is a lot more chatter here which is both good and bad. You used to be able to avoid the chatter because it was often relegated to the Misc forum. Lately, the chatter has gone up across the site with lots of posts that don't contribute anything (not just GSS though obviously that is the most obvious of the post whores). Quite frankly, that is a turn off but other people may like the noise.

What I usually do when reading a thread, is that when posts break down into noise, I just stop reading and stop following the thread. Eventually, I just post less, read less, and visit less.

Will getting rid of post counts stop noise? No. May it decrease post whoring? I really don't know, there is no guarantee. Some people just love to log in and post anything even if it is "bumping" a thread that is the most recent thread on the top of the forum listing. Personally, the community and culture of AlpineZone has historically very strongly promoted post whoring by posting thread and post numbers and having congratulatory threads on reaching posting milestones. As long time members can attest, I have often ridiculed such quantity focused posting and thread topics and I am big on "quality" posting and threading.

All that said, I still think having the post counts public is fine. If the problem is post whoring and high noise posts, I don't think getting rid of the post count totals is going to fix the problem. Just my two cents but I figured I would get this thread back on track with some serious discussion and a full addressing of the issues at hand.

I can't stand when threads go off topic..btw I just did my laundry...and it's a sunny day..and Riveroil is a nerd..

rep points seem cool..then new members will know I'm legit and not some postwhore.

Sweet I just hit 6900 posts...woo hoo..I want a cookie now..num num num

keep things the way they are now .. I don't want to hear about GSS jumping in front of a truck or something because the post counts are gone .. it gives his life meaning ..

Status
Not open for further replies.