• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Michigan VASA trail, ooop Nort!

Trekchick

Sunday was a fairly hot day so we started at 10 AM at the VASA trail. This would be my 3rd time on the trail and my friend Tom's 1st ride in a looooooooong time.
Volklgirl has the stats, but IIRC we averaged 8.7 mph on the 13 Mile loop.
I only took a few pics, but Volklgirl got a few.
The most important shot I got was this one of her on her SS with purple Streamers!!!!
n830505017_3855188_6543.jpg

You shoulda seen her drooooooool
It turns out, Tom has a 12 ish year old GT bike that was pretty good in its day. The first thing VG said when we picked him up at his house..........Sweeeeeeet, Its purple!

n830505017_3855190_7359.jpg

The pace that Tom set when we rode was pretty decent for someone who hasn't ridden in a long time. Glad we got him out there. I think we have a new biking buddy!
n830505017_3855186_6169.jpg

Thank goodness VG didn't get pics of me climbing the big hills. I'm guessing I had a constipated look on my face, since this was only my 4th time out on the SS and I had to really work it to get the hills. I ended up walking the top parts of three of them.:oops:
Here's a nice section of twisties
Photo cred: VG
n1030482850_30149199_1735.jpg

Thanks for readin!

o3jeff

Good to see you guys dragging some new people out too.

Looks like you had a better time too than those three guys that are crapping up my trail report!

Trekchick

Thanks Jeff. VG just posted the stats from the ride. (sorry no gps)
13.04 miles, 1:35 "wheels spinning" time, 8.17 mph aversge

We had plans to ride again tonight but tom opted to go shopping for bike shorts and perhaps, a saddle. Something about Da boyz needin sumthin extra ;)

MR. evil

We had plans to ride again tonight but tom opted to go shopping for bike shorts and perhaps, a saddle. Something about Da boyz needin sumthin extra ;)

What about a helmet. I think that should be his first purchase.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like you had a better time too than those three guys that are crapping up my trail report!
:lol:

What about a helmet. I think that should be his first purchase.
After getting conked on the head with my own bike, I totally agree with that.

ETA: I'm such a dope. :dunce: Trekchick, thanks for the report! It's nice to hear about other areas where people are riding (especially you and volklgirl who kick butt!!!!!!!!!!!). You are a maniac with that single speed! Kris, too! :eek:

Last edited:

Trekchick

Tom is a helmet advocate, in general, and I'm betting he'll have one soon. 12 years ago when he used to ride, helmets weren't "the thing" they are today.

Carrie, Thanks for the kudos, but I have to say, Kris kicks my butt in a big way. I'm still getting gremlins out of my head from the crash last month.
:(

Trekchick

Okay, this is such a girl thing, but I gotta share.
I was looking for a new saddle because the one that came on the Klein sucked.
I tried and loved the damesfly from Terry Cycles.
They had some bike saddle tool bags on sale in some awesome "girl" patterns.
I love the one I got to compliment my white seat.
n1030482850_30149191_9223.jpg

o3jeff

I just ordered a new seat yesterday. The one on the Cannondale is ok and the one on the ht is spent since the sides have bent over. I figure I will put the new one on the Cannondale and move the one from there to the ht.

bvibert

Staff member
That's a pretty fast pace. How much climbing is there?

The GT looks brand new in the pics and yes, Tom needs a helmet!

Nice smiley face socks (or do my eyes deceive me?)

Greg

Staff member
That's a pretty fast pace. How much climbing is there?

I was gonna say. An 8 MPH average is hella fast. I think we normally average between 3-4 MPH, usually closer to 3.

Trekchick

This is a intermediate trail with some advanced sections. Three major hills, and two minor climbs, but lots of twisties.
We stopped for breaks and stopped to let Tom give da boyz some relief, but when we rode, we rode!

Did I happen to mention.............I love my Attitude!!!

Greg

Staff member
Hills and techy areas or not, that's still a blazing pace for any type of singletrack. At least for me, it is.

bvibert

Staff member
Granted, we have hills, not mountains, but still, I live in a fairly hilly area and we have some significant climbs.
When I get a chance I'll get the topo for the VASA.

I was just busting your chops. We're not exactly climbing mountains here in CT either. ;)

Though are typical ride is pretty techy (if you ask me)