• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

McKenzie Mt., NY - 07/16/08

ComeBackMudPuddles

Date(s) Hiked: July 16, 2008

Trails(s) Hiked: DEC trails from Whiteface Inn Rd.

Total Distance: 7.2 miles r/t; 1940' vertical

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Mostly dry, with some slippery spots on the steeps

Special Required Equipment: None

Trip Report: Went for an early-morning hike up McKenzie Mountain in the Adirondacks with my dad the other day. It's not a 46-er, but it has some interesting 360 degree views from two ledges at the summit (one facing Saranac Lake and the fading mountains, and the other facing Whiteface, Lake Placid and the High Peaks in the distance).

The trail starts out fairly easily on what I think is an old logging road for the first 1.9 miles. At the col, the trail up to McKenzie veers right, while the main trail continues on a long descent down to Ray Brook (this main trail was part of an epic mountain bike ride from Lake Placid to Ray Brook, but, due to changes in park rules, is no longer open to mountain biking.....a real shame).

From the col the trail soon starts a rather steep stretch - over 1,000 vertical in about 0.6 miles. Even better were the wet roots and mud, which made for some tricky going (especially coming down). Up on the summit ridge, there are several false summits before reaching the summit ledges.

All in all, a nice, relatively quick hike, that offers some interesting views of Whiteface, Lake Placid and the surrounding High Peaks.

* View of Whiteface and Lake Placid from the summit:

313_Whiteface_Lake_Placid.JPG

* View of Lake Placid and its islands from the summit:

314_Lake_Placid_With_From_Left_Hawk_Moose_Buck_Islands.JPG

* View of Lake Placid, Mirror Lake and the Village of Lake Placid from the summit:

316_Lake_Placid_Marina_Mirror_Lake_Village.JPG

* View of some of the High Peaks:

310_View_Of_High_Peaks.JPG

* Ferns and moss along the trail:

308_Alpine_Ferns_And_Moss.JPG

* McKenzie Mountain from Lake Placid:

322_McKenzie_Mt_From_Lake_Placid.JPG

Mike P.

Nice pictures, I don't get up to the ADK's enough but I'm trying to get in some other peaks that are not on the 46'ers list but have nice views.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Nice pictures, I don't get up to the ADK's enough but I'm trying to get in some other peaks that are not on the 46'ers list but have nice views.

A couple other ideas off the top of my head:

* Hurricane

* Noonmark (with a stop afterwards at Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley for soft serve ice cream for the kids)

* Pitchoff