• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seat/Saddle bags and what's in them

bvibert

Staff member
Just use Brian's tire and wheel to practice on that I am sure is laying in the living room

I did have my wheels on the kitchen table to replace the spokes last night. ;) I wouldn't dare leave them in the living room though, my kids have an amazing ability to totally destroy things (even more than they already are).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
This is a great tutorial which covers how to change the tire and repair a tube:

http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/

It makes the assumption you know how to remove the wheels. Here's a tutorial for that:

http://bicycletutor.com/remove-install-wheels/
Good tutorials!

Brian's wheels are tire-less right now and safely put where the kids can't get them. Those kids are like little tornadoes...they destroy everything in their paths! :eek: Maybe tonight while Brian is working on his wheel, I'll give it a go on my own tires.

Trekchick

You're not going to hurt anything by practicing on a tire with a good tube.

Just use Brian's tire and wheel to practice on that I am sure is laying in the living room

Good tutorials!

Brian's wheels are tire-less right now and safely put where the kids can't get them. Those kids are like little tornadoes...they destroy everything in their paths! :eek: Maybe tonight while Brian is working on his wheel, I'll give it a go on my own tires.

I guess they get the "destroying everything" from Brian.....
THIS is why I love this community!^^^^^^^^^^

All of what they said is true.
Last summer Kris had a ride day with women and their daughters to get acclimated to some easy trail riding and basic "on trail" bike repairs.
She had a couple spare wheels' with different types of set ups, (tubeless, tube with presta and standard).
Our friend Donna had her 11 year old daughter there, and she loved learning this.
Seriously, Carrie, practice on Brians bike all you want. You have my permission ;)
n830505017_537806_3364.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
She can practice on my bike all she wants. There's not really much to screw up and if she does that just means I get new parts. ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
She can practice on my bike all she wants. There's not really much to screw up and if she does that just means I get new parts. ;)
I should practice on my own though since I don't have presta valves (you do, don't you?). Thanks for the offer... even if it's only because you're hoping to get new stuff out of it. ;)

gorgonzola

i just added a small chain tool and a few quick links to my tube, mini pump, levers, derailluer hanger, topeak multi tool, clif bar, sport beans, cell phone , old photo license (in case someone needs to identify the body!) with wifes cell written with sharpy ( i do a fair amount of solo rides), camera in the camelback.
this past saturday i pinch flatted at 1.5 mi and the chain snapped at 2.75 - mechanicals suck! especially if your not prepared. i've need everything in there numerous times - except the phot id.....
i have a small leatherman tool around that i want to find and stick in there as well

Greg

Staff member
I should practice on my own though since I don't have presta valves (you do, don't you?).

The process doesn't change based on valve type. All you really need to practice is a pump and tire levers.

cbcbd

mtb - in camelback - pump, tube, patch kit, multi tool, derailleur hanger, small headlamp, zip ties

road - in small saddle bag - tube, tire levers, mini tool (6), patch kit
in back of jersey - pump, cartridges

Greg

Staff member
Derailleur hangers

Question on derailleur hangers. They are specific to each bike, correct? Do they make a generic one just to get you out of the woods?

Greg

Staff member
Another item I remember I carry - spare SPD cleats.

Greg

Staff member
That's true, presta just adds two small steps that schrader doesn't.

Well, yeah - I guess you're right - uncrewing the locknut at the top of the valve to release/fill and there's that other locknut that's screwed around the valve down by the rim, right?

bvibert

Staff member
Question on derailleur hangers. They are specific to each bike, correct? Do they make a generic one just to get you out of the woods?

You need the correct one for your bike. Which reminds me I need to add my spare to my pack. I got a new one from the LBS because mine was slightly bent, now the slightly bent one is my spare. I bent it back to mostly straight, it's not perfect, but more than good enough to get me out of the woods if need (that is, if I take it out of my tool box or where ever I put it;) )

o3jeff

I got a part number for my deraluer hanger out of my owners manual along with a pic of it, just need to confirm it is the same shape as on the bike before I get one($25)

bvibert

Staff member
Well, yeah - I guess you're right - uncrewing the locknut at the top of the valve to release/fill and there's that other locknut that's screwed around the valve down by the rim, right?

Yes and yes.