• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head...

awf170

Drops, especially wheelie drops. I don't know why, but I just get freaked out now.

I have actually gotten to a point where I can go up bigger drops than I can comfortably go down.

Greg

Staff member
Drops, especially wheelie drops. I don't know why, but I just get freaked out now.

I have actually gotten to a point where I can go up bigger drops than I can comfortably go down.

Doesn't seem like you're having much trouble to me...

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

awf170

I took those drops on my second ever on full suspension bike and I have yet to take them again. I actually haven't gone off anything as big as that second drop since that day. I'm working towards being able to get up both drops soon though. Hopefully another month and I'll be able to get up them.

Here's a vid of someone climbing up that drop:

It looks way bigger in person.

BTW, that roller at 1:25 is retarded. It seriously must be at least 70 degrees.

awf170

Doesn't seem like you're having much trouble to me...

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Got up that drop in the first the pic today. Measured about 40 inches with my makeshift measuring device (a wheel). Still can't get up the guts for the second one though.

This climb is now the biggest thing that messed with my head as of now. I get to the bottom and slam my brakes every time.

daveandpetenx1.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Hard to tell how steep that face is. I have to imagine speed, like always, is the key.

awf170

Hard to tell how steep that face is. I have to imagine speed, like always, is the key.

Wicked freakin' steep. I actually won't even go down it since I'm probably going to go over my handlebars. There's no way you get up without being in a climbing position. I would guess the bottom few feet are around 70 degrees, but I really have no idea.

Getting about 5-6 feet off the ground then having to turn left sharply is by far the sketchiest part. (What the second rider is doing in the picture)

That looks interesting. I'd like to give it a try sometime.

Well if you come to Lynn Woods September 14th...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Stuff on the trail doesn't really call to me like that anymore, but Flat Land stuff haunts me. 180s are right on the cusp for me. I've hit a couple, but I want to get them dialed so I can do them at will. Also, being able to endo 180 off of log rides, but I'm not really close to that. More like a 2 year plan. When wheelie dropping, if your just sessioning a drop, lower your seat, do it standing so you can learn to be smooth, absorbing the drop (like a trials rider), not just bomb dropping off of it and landing on the saddle. Also, figure out what gear propells you a full wheel base length with less then a stroke. Most people go with too light a gear and get to the bottom of the stroke before their rear wheel clears the lip and end up nosing off or going OTB. A nice meaty gear is key. Having to pedal more then a half stroke will throw you balance off and make it hard to stay straight, esspecially as the drops gets bigger and you spend more time in the air....Progression is the fun part....

Greg

Staff member
I love wheelie dropping and I'm pretty decent at them (small >3' drops). You're right about the correct gear selection. Wheelie drops were one of the first thing a buddy taught during my first MTB stint in the 90's.

awf170

Blatant dick waving....

I got two more things today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owORFXyd2_g
(watch in high quality, it's so much better.

I did the up down 3 drop loop at the start of the video that the guy tries a few times. Straight up, turned around, and did the drops. Didn't even think about it while I was doing it, that is probably why I actually got it.

And I did the air at 2:05. My biggest air to date. By our rough estimate it is almost a 6 ft. drop to where I landed.

Dick waving over. Yeah, I'm pretty pumped.

Greg

Staff member
A few new ones for me:

• Making both climbs on the trail leading south from Stone Road.
  • Clearing that stupid rocky roller in the middle of Devil's Kitchen.
  • Attempt the caveman bridges in the warm-up loop north of Scoville Rd.

eatskisleep

No, that thing is retarded. At least the last time I look at it around a month ago I thought it was. Seriously, just climbing up the thing would be around a 5.7.

Did we see that on our loop?

awf170

Did we see that on our loop?

I'm pretty sure we didn't. Not a 100% positive though. It is definitely one of the sketchiest well known roller in Lynn woods. Next time I go out I'm going to give that roller another look. Not too sure how happy my bike will be about doing it though.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
My To Do list:

Areas to ride for the first time:
Grayville Falls (NEMBA event there this weekend but cannot attend)
Nashaheogon (sp?)
Case Mt
Kingdom Trails
Vietnam
All of Al's Trail in Newtown (20 mile epic)

Areas to revisit:
Cockaponsit Epic Trail
Westwoods
Penwood SP