• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head...

MR. evil

My To Do list:

Areas to ride for the first time:
Grayville Falls (NEMBA event there this weekend but cannot attend)
Nashaheogon (sp?)
Case Mt
Kingdom Trails
Vietnam
All of Al's Trail in Newtown (20 mile epic)

Areas to revisit:
Cockaponsit Epic Trail
Westwoods
Penwood SP

It looks like I will be riding either Nassahegan or Case Mt this Sunday morning. Your welcome to join us. You also need to add Batchelor Street and Earls in Amherst / Granby MA to your list of places to ride. Sweet trails!

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
I would like to but I am booked Sunday with a family Gig. I had to bail out of the NEMBA Fall Fiesta at Grayville Falls this weekend because of it. I think, however, to make up for that going to try and spend one day each month checking off some of those to dos.

SundayRiver Yeti

I took those drops on my second ever on full suspension bike and I have yet to take them again. I actually haven't gone off anything as big as that second drop since that day. I'm working towards being able to get up both drops soon though. Hopefully another month and I'll be able to get up them.

Here's a vid of someone climbing up that drop:

It looks way bigger in person.

BTW, that roller at 1:25 is retarded. It seriously must be at least 70 degrees.

I love Lynn Woods. That is where I ride most of the time.

rueler

I've cleared several of the areas on my mental list in the last few outings. One thing that I like to do on the items that were on my list and I've already cleared is to see how proficient I can get at them.

The Tim OTB rock is on my short list, the last time I rode there was with my wife the other day and it didn't look that bad so I vowed to hit it next time. The techy sections before hitting the DT at the end of the cemetery twisty area is too. I've made a few of the sections, but never consistently and never all together. The three little bridges in the Scoville warm-up twisty area are another that I need to conquer.

On my long list is the sketchy downhill to the bridge when going back north after crossing 69 from Session's woods.

you can get that sketchy downhill!! Stay on the left side the whole way down. There's one other line that requires a bit more precision. When you ride that sketch downhill start it on the extreme left...about a quarter of the way down there will be a dirt shelf in the roots that urges you to move to the right of the trail...as you do that it helps re-center yourself and gives you a quick second to asses the rest of the downhill...at that point you need to go back to the left and there's one root that will get you if you're riding tight gripped or grabbing too much brake. At the bottom, it's almost to the point where you have to wheely drop to to trail erosion...but, it's rollable.

bvibert

Staff member
you can get that sketchy downhill!! Stay on the left side the whole way down. There's one other line that requires a bit more precision. When you ride that sketch downhill start it on the extreme left...about a quarter of the way down there will be a dirt shelf in the roots that urges you to move to the right of the trail...as you do that it helps re-center yourself and gives you a quick second to asses the rest of the downhill...at that point you need to go back to the left and there's one root that will get you if you're riding tight gripped or grabbing too much brake. At the bottom, it's almost to the point where you have to wheely drop to to trail erosion...but, it's rollable.

Thanks for the tips rueler. I would have never thought to stay to the left as I'd be trying to stay away from falling off the trail. I'll get it one of these days. I was inspired watching several riders ride down it one day as we were waiting to walk up. I wasn't sure how possible it was till then.

rueler

I guess that my goals of things to clean at Nass.are:

1) Clean the entire Devil's Kitchen area (did about 85-90% today)
2) Work my courage up to do all of the newer skinnies/log rides on the Stone Road side.
3) Do all of the rock drops on the old ladder bridge stunt trail on the Stone side.

awf170

I'm pretty sure we didn't. Not a 100% positive though. It is definitely one of the sketchiest well known roller in Lynn woods. Next time I go out I'm going to give that roller another look. Not too sure how happy my bike will be about doing it though.

Yeah, I took a look at that roller yesterday. Still kind of retarded, but I'm working up the courage up to do it. I need to get someone else to do it before me, or to heckle me for a few minutes before I give it a try. Also there is now way you could even get up the thing without climbing shoes and some climbing experience:eek:.

eatskisleep

Yeah, I took a look at that roller yesterday. Still kind of retarded, but I'm working up the courage up to do it. I need to get someone else to do it before me, or to heckle me for a few minutes before I give it a try. Also there is now way you could even get up the thing without climbing shoes and some climbing experience:eek:.

That's where my 5.10 biking shoes come in...

MR. evil

I think I added about 10 rollers at Case mt I was to much of a wuss to try on my to do list. I was really happy with the way I was riding up these stunts. With some advise from a really good rider I was consistantly making it up rock faces I would have never been able to before. I just wussed out at the top of everything I made it up and walked down.

bvibert

Staff member
I think I added about 10 rollers at Case mt I was to much of a wuss to try on my to do list. I was really happy with the way I was riding up these stunts. With some advise from a really good rider I was consistantly making it up rock faces I would have never been able to before. I just wussed out at the top of everything I made it up and walked down.

If you added 10 rollers then I need to add 20, for the distant, maybe someday portion of my list. ;) I wouldn't even try to make it up most of what you got up and the stuff I did try didn't go all that well for the most part.

MR. evil

If you added 10 rollers then I need to add 20, for the distant, maybe someday portion of my list. ;) I wouldn't even try to make it up most of what you got up and the stuff I did try didn't go all that well for the most part.

My 10 rollers are 10 of 50 or so we saw today that I actually see myself being able to do one day. The rest of the stuff they were rolling is not even on my radar screen

skiboarder

Their is a long, climb at Graham Hills in Pleasantville. I can get near the top, completely exhausted. However, it gets a little steaper with some tricky rocks near the end.

It will be my bitch.

Greg

Staff member
A few new ones for me:

• Making both climbs on the trail leading south from Stone Road.
  • Clearing that stupid rocky roller in the middle of Devil's Kitchen.
  • Attempt the caveman bridges in the warm-up loop north of Scoville Rd.

Check the first one off the list. I haven't been back to the other areas since. I guess I need to add the 3'+ drop in the northern dentist twisties that 2knees nailed on his first day. :oops:

rueler

Check the first one off the list. I haven't been back to the other areas since. I guess I need to add the 3'+ drop in the northern dentist twisties that 2knees nailed on his first day. :oops:

Do the caveman bridges backwards first (clockwise)...it's easier and will allow you to understand the line much better. the last bridge is the toughest approach...you need to use the rock pile on the right to align yourself....or you'll get wet. I know I did.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like the caveman bridges have to come off the list until they are repaired. Uber sketchy right now. A few new items:

• Last ladder drop in the swamp twisties and then linking the A frame and two ladders all together.
  • The 3 foot ladder drop across from Scoville. Rueler assures us it's smooth, but it still scares me just thinking about it.
  • Stone Road 3 footer.
  • The rocky slot in the Devil's Kitchen
  • Finally, the Red's Rock crash area. migs 01 took the line perfect yesterday. No room for error there. You gotta commit and just ride it out and nail the line. Seems doable though.

bvibert

Staff member
I've cleared several of the areas on my mental list in the last few outings. One thing that I like to do on the items that were on my list and I've already cleared is to see how proficient I can get at them.

The Tim OTB rock is on my short list, the last time I rode there was with my wife the other day and it didn't look that bad so I vowed to hit it next time. The techy sections before hitting the DT at the end of the cemetery twisty area is too. I've made a few of the sections, but never consistently and never all together. The three little bridges in the Scoville warm-up twisty area are another that I need to conquer.

On my long list is the sketchy downhill to the bridge when going back north after crossing 69 from Session's woods.

I don't know if I've ridden the area of the Tim OTB rock again, and if I did I probably rode around it, I'm such a wuss. I've made some progress on some of those techy little climbs in the latter part of the cemetery twisties, but not consistantly. Unfortunately a couple of them have giant braids around the hard parts and it's getting hard to see the original lines. I did ride all three of the caveman bridges in the warm-up twisties before they got washed away last year, but never all three in one shot. :roll: They're not the same now that they're been rebuilt, I can ride the whole section without any problems now. I need to get the balls up to try the skinny bridge alternative at the end though.

Still haven't been back to that sketchy downhill, it's not an area we ride that often.

I'd like to clear the two climbs at the beginning of the Stone ride, as well as the blue trail rock garden, in both directions. I almost made it on the way out the last time we were there. That was really a confidence builder, I didn't think I had it in my to make as much of it as I did.

The biggest thing on my list is to make the Cornwall climb. I'll be happy at first to make the section in the middle with the most pitch in one shot, but eventually I want to make it from where the climb peels off the fire road all the way to the top to where the trail crosses the other fire road. That's probably a lofty goal, but I like to aim high sometimes.

Greg

Staff member
I don't know if I've ridden the area of the Tim OTB rock again, and if I did I probably rode around it, I'm such a wuss.

It's such a non-item now. Total roller. It took me a while to do it though after seeing Tim come flying towards me OTB.

need to get the balls up to try the skinny bridge alternative at the end though.

Haven't done that either. The left option has a turn in it so it's challenging too.

Still haven't been back to that sketchy downhill, it's not an area we ride that often.

I've done it enough times to not feel the need to hit it again. The by-pass seems to be the preferred route lately anyway.

I'd like to clear the two climbs at the beginning of the Stone ride, as well as the blue trail rock garden, in both directions. I almost made it on the way out the last time we were there. That was really a confidence builder, I didn't think I had it in my to make as much of it as I did.

Only rode East through the rock garden a few time. I've cleared it a handful of times going West, but always take the lady's tee in the real gnarly stretch at the East end.

The biggest thing on my list is to make the Cornwall climb. I'll be happy at first to make the section in the middle with the most pitch in one shot, but eventually I want to make it from where the climb peels off the fire road all the way to the top to where the trail crosses the other fire road. That's probably a lofty goal, but I like to aim high sometimes.

DT to DT would be a feat for sure. I've done all the pieces, but haven't even considered trying to link them all together. The last ledge right before the forest access road is tricky, but a fun one. You need a lot of speed heading into that and it's tough getting between the trees and into the right line, but it's totally doable once you get the rubber on the rocks. Gotta grind it out to clear it once you get that far.

bvibert

Staff member
I've done it enough times to not feel the need to hit it again. The by-pass seems to be the preferred route lately anyway.

That's not the section I'm talking about:
Jeff is correct. The DH before the bridge right before getting to 69 on the standard loop isn't a concern anymore. I don't think Tim has ever been there, and I'm almost certain that Greg has never rode it. This is in the section between the intersection of 69 and Reservoir rd and the fire road that intersects 69 across from Scoville. We walked up this particular section with Chris, after waiting for that large group on our last ride. It's at least as steep as the section you're talking about, but way more washed out, rooty, and rocky, much more narrow and has a drop off to the left if you should happen to fall that way.

We've only ridden through there a couple of times, mostly because the rest of that area can be kinda boring. ;)

DT to DT would be a feat for sure. I've done all the pieces, but haven't even considered trying to link them all together. The last ledge right before the forest access road is tricky, but a fun one. You need a lot of speed heading into that and it's tough getting between the trees and into the right line, but it's totally doable once you get the rubber on the rocks. Gotta grind it out to clear it once you get that far.

There's two sections that I haven't successfully cleared, even in pieces; That section in the last steepish part that gets all of us, and that last section you're talking about. When I went through there with Tim last time I made it further than I ever had, but not quite. At least I'm making progress.

Like I said, it's probably a lofty goal to do the whole thing in one shot, but what good is a goal if it's easy to obtain?