Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head... - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Nice job on that one again. I know it's totally doable. It's lining up that has me freaked. Haven't really had a list in my head this season. Just having fun riding. I was glad I made that climb south of Red's Rock. I went into it knowing I had it.

That ladder drop right off Scoville should be doable. rueler says it transitions smoothly. Dropping it is not what freaks me out, but rather riding off the thing and ending up tangled in the logs is.
    Where is our local mx racer to brag about hitting them both last year

After watching Pat hit the the ladder drop twice Sunday, it is starting to look very doable and not as intimidating. Good line up and perfect downhill landing, what more could we ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    BTW, this entire first post is uber gay:

That little roller is nothing more than a bump in the trail. Amazing what seems difficult when you're starting out.
    Can probably pull a 180 off it with the bike.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I know, right? He's got the mental game already conquered. With a real bike and some time on the trail, the dude would be a rippin' rider.

After watching Pat hit the the ladder drop twice Sunday, it is starting to look very doable and not as intimidating. Good line up and perfect downhill landing, what more could we ask for.
    I'll hit it if you do tonight...
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishovelsnow View Post

this is my next goal. i've been eating right and trying to ride as often as possible. and in that quest, i'm giving up my new routine of running before work and doing a pre-work ride.
    now we're talking. that landing looks awesome.

Saying i did it is far from bragging. honestly, you wont believe how easy that ladder is when you do it. the takeoff is slightly downhill and the landing is smooth as butter. You barely feel like you've left the ground. As far as red rocks, if thats the little chute where Tims friend got hurt, i think you just have to go down it. looking at it too much will just make you hesitate. I just walked down to it to make sure there werent any major obstacles. as long as you have enough speed, its a piece of cake.

I just want to be able to handle the basic things better. I wiped out twice last week just trying to climb little root infested rises.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    Saying i did it is far from bragging. honestly, you wont believe how easy that ladder is when you do it. the takeoff is slightly downhill and the landing is smooth as butter. You barely feel like you've left the ground.

Do you pull up off the edge of that ladder, or just keep your weight back and roll off it with speed? About 1 month ago I was showing a friend around Nass, he is a pretty big guy and he hit that ladder and made it look so easy. Even with his weight the landing looked & sounded really smooth

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Do you pull up off the edge of that ladder, or just keep your weight back and roll off it with speed? About 1 month ago I was showing a friend around Nass, he is a pretty big guy and he hit that ladder and made it look so easy. Even with his weight the landing looked & sounded really smooth

basically you're just riding right off it. Obviously, you dont want your front wheel to drop like a man hole cover but there isnt much to do.

quite honestly, the ladder drop after the 2 a-frames is more difficult cause its a flat take-off to flat landing.

Tim - Hit Scoville tonight with me and we'll cheerlead each other on like the girls we are.

i feel that Pat has a far deeper jumping skill set than most of us due to dirtbiking and such...i'm not much of a jumper, and I will tell you that I feel that I need to pull up a bit on the take-off of the Scoville ladder drop. Not too much though...The other way I have done it is that you can cruise in at higher speed and just keep everything level as you come off the ladder. Like Pat says, don't let your nose/front wheel drop down/lead. BAD news if that happens!!

I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.
    I'm far from a drop expert, but from what I've found the motion on small drops is the same as it is for bigger ones. Once you're in the air, you're in the air. Find a 1 footer with a good approach/landing and session it until you get the motion and correct speed down. Then try bigger drops. Then head to the pickle park and try the double drops there. They're about 30" and 42" respectively. Uber clear approaches and landings and good for building confidence:

I sallied the bigger lower drop the first few times in that vid and wheelied to the rider's left of that tree. It's about 2' on that side and closer to 4' closer to the big tree. They look small in the video.

I am also no expert on wheely drops. But on most I that I do, I actually don’t pull up on the bars that much. I give a slight pull, but rely more on a strong pedal kick and follow through to get my front wheel up. You don’t need the front wheel that high. When I am in the air instead of focusing on keeping my front end up by pulling, I push my rear tire down towards the ground by extending my legs and pushing the pedals down. Almost like I am reaching for the ground with my legs. When I touch down my legs are almost straight and I use my legs to help absorb when landing.

For practice I built a small 6’ long platform in the backyard. Its just long enough for my bike to fit on it with several inched to spare front & back. I ride up onto it very slowly, stop and hold a track stand for a few seconds. Then from a complete stop do a wheely drop. This drill lets me work on a couple of things at once (slow speed maneuvering, track stands, & wheely drops). Lately I have been working on doing wheely drops to my left or right side after a track stand instead of straight off the end. I set the platform on concrete blocks and can adjust the height to suit my mood.

Thread Information