• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head...

Greg

Staff member
As a mountain biker, and one that rides the same area and trails (Nassahegan) quite often, I've sort of formed a mental list of items that I aim to clear. What are some of the items on your 'to do' list that you hope to someday tackle? They might be a bridge ot stunt, a drop, a techy section of trail. Describe them. And update this thread when you finally conquer them.

I cleared a few techy areas today that I've been meaning to. One was a spot that I never had the intention of clearing so soon, but I pulled it off today. The next big item on my list is a spot I've dubbed the MR. evil OTB-hug-a-tree. A month or so back, Tim attempted a small probably 2 foot drop on a section of trail that is pretty tight with not a lot of landing (the trail turns). Anyway, he hit it way too slow, OTB'd and ended up throwing a shoulder firmly into the 10" diameter tree right next to the drop. I watched the whole thing transpire from below about 4 feet away.

Today, I was third behind Tim and o3jeff. Tim styled the drop without any sort of hesitation. Jeff cruised it right after him. Me? I sallied around the lady's tee trail braid. How is it that the dude that OTB'd can take it and I still wuss it? Mind games, I tell ya. One of the greatest things about MTBing, especially when you finally conquer them. Anyway, that little drop is next on my list. I actually would like to wheelie drop it.

Next?

o3jeff

I don't believe you never rode that. I'm the biggest wuss out there and I didn't think twice about following Tim over it.

Philpug

I keep meaning to procrastinate, eh... maybe tomorrow.

Greg

Staff member
I don't believe you never rode that. I'm the biggest wuss out there and I didn't think twice about following Tim over it.

Thanks for the solid blow to my ego, Jeff. :lol: Mind f@cK. That's my only explanation. Just like that B street ledge you finally got the balls to tackle today. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not mtb, but I've got throw a 360 again on my to do list. I could throw em' with ease in High School, but cracked a rib throwing one in my early 20's and haven't ever tried since. Outside of drops I hardly take to the air at all anymore. I would like to change that this winter.

Greg

Staff member
Not mtb, but I've got throw a 360 again on my to do list. I could throw em' with ease in High School, but cracked a rib throwing one in my early 20's and haven't ever tried since. Outside of drops I hardly take to the air at all anymore. I would like to change that this winter.

Wrong forum, brotha. Move along...

;)

bvibert

Staff member
I've cleared several of the areas on my mental list in the last few outings. One thing that I like to do on the items that were on my list and I've already cleared is to see how proficient I can get at them.

The Tim OTB rock is on my short list, the last time I rode there was with my wife the other day and it didn't look that bad so I vowed to hit it next time. The techy sections before hitting the DT at the end of the cemetery twisty area is too. I've made a few of the sections, but never consistently and never all together. The three little bridges in the Scoville warm-up twisty area are another that I need to conquer.

On my long list is the sketchy downhill to the bridge when going back north after crossing 69 from Session's woods.

bvibert

Staff member
Now I just have to put it all together and ride it without stopping.

If you can ride down it from a stand still at the top you should have no problem just rolling down it. I tried a few times to convince myself to ride it while sitting on top and never did, then I just rolled down it without stopping, no problems.

Greg

Staff member
The three little bridges in the Scoville warm-up twisty area are another that I need to conquer.

On my long list is the sketchy downhill to the bridge when going back north after crossing 69 from Session's woods.

You put the "caveman" bridges in the warm-up route ahead of the sketchy downhill? Funny how the mind plays different tricks on different people. I have no problem with that downhill, yet I still haven't even added those bridges to my list. You go first. Maybe I'll follow. :lol:

Now I just have to put it all together and ride it without stopping.

You'll do it next time. It's hardly a concern to me anymore.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Too many things on my list. :lol: The stuff I did last Sunday at Hubbard Park, though, was significant. I picked up quite a bit of speed (for me, anyway) in those rock gardens mainly because I had to. And I'm glad I did it.

In Nass, there are many things I'd like to do. But I have a lot more practicing before I'll get them. I'd like to do that ledge that I taped you guys on, though. Not up but down. Eventually, I'd also like to go down that ledge on B-street that Greg talked Brian into on that ride I did with you guys. I did from the dirt down last Thursday and it wasn't as bad as it looked.

That's about as specific as I can get right now. I'm not really eager to cross any bridges on the bike, though, that's for sure.

MR. evil

Mine are riding that ladder drop at the beggining of the sessions area and eventually riding Red's Rock (That is what Greg and I have dubbed the spot my buddie broke his ribs). I was really happe that I rode every bridge on the ride today with out hesitation. The stuff I have built in my back yard has really helped with the bridges. I have my own little ladder drop in the back yard at just under 3 feet now and it is no big deal. I should have it up to 4 feet in a few weeks. Then all I will need is a full face helmet and I will attempt that sassions ladder drop.

MR. evil

You put the "caveman" bridges in the warm-up route ahead of the sketchy downhill? Funny how the mind plays different tricks on different people. I have no problem with that downhill, yet I still haven't even added those bridges to my list. You go first. Maybe I'll follow. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing...... That DH is really nothing anymore, I don't think twice about it. I actually rode it faster today than ever before. Then again I didn't think twice about hitting that sketchy bridge made from tree branches. That was with out a doubt the dumbest thing I did all day.

Philpug

They are on my "to do" list every year. 30 years straight.

MR. evil

I cleared a few techy areas today that I've been meaning to. One was a spot that I never had the intention of clearing so soon, but I pulled it off today. The next big item on my list is a spot I've dubbed the MR. evil OTB-hug-a-tree. A month or so back, Tim attempted a small probably 2 foot drop on a section of trail that is pretty tight with not a lot of landing (the trail turns). Anyway, he hit it way too slow, OTB'd and ended up throwing a shoulder firmly into the 10" diameter tree right next to the drop. I watched the whole thing transpire from below about 4 feet away.

Today, I was third behind Tim and o3jeff. Tim styled the drop without any sort of hesitation. Jeff cruised it right after him. Me? I sallied around the lady's tee trail braid. How is it that the dude that OTB'd can take it and I still wuss it? Mind games, I tell ya. One of the greatest things about MTBing, especially when you finally conquer them. Anyway, that little drop is next on my list. I actually would like to wheelie drop it.

Next?

I actually didn't even think about my previous crash when hitting that spot today. I think part of it is that I know last time was a complete fluke. But seeing how you were about 4 feet from my superman impression and heard the sound of my body slamming into the tree truck I could see how that spot could get into your head.

bvibert

Staff member

I was thinking the same thing...... That DH is really nothing anymore, I don't think twice about it. I actually rode it faster today than ever before. Then again I didn't think twice about hitting that sketchy bridge made from tree branches. That was with out a doubt the dumbest thing I did all day.

I think he is talking about the bridge and downhill were we let the people go by the other night.
Jeff is correct. The DH before the bridge right before getting to 69 on the standard loop isn't a concern anymore. I don't think Tim has ever been there, and I'm almost certain that Greg has never rode it. This is in the section between the intersection of 69 and Reservoir rd and the fire road that intersects 69 across from Scoville. We walked up this particular section with Chris, after waiting for that large group on our last ride. It's at least as steep as the section you're talking about, but way more washed out, rooty, and rocky, much more narrow and has a drop off to the left if you should happen to fall that way.

Greg

Staff member
I think he is talking about the bridge and downhill were we let the people go by the other night.

Der. I misread that. That downhill is way at the bottom of my long list... :lol: