• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head...

awf170

Teeter on my to do list:
IMG_9789.jpg

i7D0A6AE8-0FE2-4511-A740-7B285087AB72.jpg

MR. evil

Teeter on my to do list:
IMG_9789.jpg

i7D0A6AE8-0FE2-4511-A740-7B285087AB72.jpg

Thats awsome! where is that?

I don't have the balls to hit that know, but may be by the end of the year. Looks like it time to set up a teeter-totter in the back yard

awf170

Thats awsome! where is that?

I don't have the balls to hit that know, but may be by the end of the year. Looks like it time to set up a teeter-totter in the back yard

Bruce and Tom's in Gloucester MA. I have only been there once it and poured the whole time so there is a ton of stuff there I need to hit. It's like Lynn Woods except with a ton of built up features.

Greg

Staff member
Finally, the Red's Rock crash area. migs 01 took the line perfect yesterday. No room for error there. You gotta commit and just ride it out and nail the line. Seems doable though.

Well, I guess I can check this one off the list, not that I care all that much. See below.

I haven't had many items lately that I feel I have to do lately. I've just been riding, and riding faster. One thing that's bugging me is even the little drops I've been trying are horrible (nose heavy, erratic landings, etc.). I am getting quicker on the DHs though so that's good.

I've really altered my outlook on riding this season.

I just ride.

If I feel like trying a stunt, small drop, roller, techy spot, etc., I just decide right before it. Either I do it or I don't and I don't let it really bother me one way or the other anymore. If I get off and walk, no biggie. I'm never going to be the guy that goes big in the air, or takes big drops. Bridges are still nerve-racking and if I decide to get off and walk one, so be it. I did just that on my last ride.

I like to just ride smooth and relatively fast. I'm really digging short rocky descents this year. Nothing too steep, but gnarly with steps down. I feel like I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else so for now, I'll just ride and clearing various more challenging features will all just come in time.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Rode the Maple run loop today...and the climb I've never made up past laurens loop. Dabbed once early on Tamarack....then made it to litterally the last pedal stroke on the climb up on peek-a-view...dabbed again. Next time I feel like it's in the bag.

Made this climb today. Part of a big loop that basically circles the valley of the West Branch of the little river, the river the Mountain Road follows. 4.5 hours, maybe 35 miles solo with one swim, finished with the new connector trail from Trapps to the High school, then in behind the school and over to the Gables, up the road, into the town loops and out behind the shop.
Tonies>tammarack>maple run>billings road>peekaview>waterfall>Stoweschoolexpress>burt trail>ranch camp>haul road>Trapps connector>robinrun>bears trail>town loops connector>charlies.
One more big loop on the list before the snow flies....

eatskisleep

Bruce and Tom's in Gloucester MA. I have only been there once it and poured the whole time so there is a ton of stuff there I need to hit. It's like Lynn Woods except with a ton of built up features.
That was one of my better rides of the summer... good times...

bvibert

Staff member
I don't know if I've ridden the area of the Tim OTB rock again, and if I did I probably rode around it, I'm such a wuss. I've made some progress on some of those techy little climbs in the latter part of the cemetery twisties, but not consistantly. Unfortunately a couple of them have giant braids around the hard parts and it's getting hard to see the original lines. I did ride all three of the caveman bridges in the warm-up twisties before they got washed away last year, but never all three in one shot. :roll: They're not the same now that they're been rebuilt, I can ride the whole section without any problems now. I need to get the balls up to try the skinny bridge alternative at the end though.

Still haven't been back to that sketchy downhill, it's not an area we ride that often.

I'd like to clear the two climbs at the beginning of the Stone ride, as well as the blue trail rock garden, in both directions. I almost made it on the way out the last time we were there. That was really a confidence builder, I didn't think I had it in my to make as much of it as I did.

The biggest thing on my list is to make the Cornwall climb. I'll be happy at first to make the section in the middle with the most pitch in one shot, but eventually I want to make it from where the climb peels off the fire road all the way to the top to where the trail crosses the other fire road. That's probably a lofty goal, but I like to aim high sometimes.

I feel like I've been making a lot of progress this season, but I'm still a wuss to any sort of drop. :smash:

From the list above:

Finally got the cemetery twisties all in one shot, and I seem to be getting quicker through there, particularly in the first half.

I ridden the skinny caveman bridge in Jug a few times now in both directions. It still freaks me out a little, but at least I know it's doable now.

I usually ride around the Tim OTB rock, but then again I'm usually going the wrong direction these days. I tried to go up it a couple times and failed miserably.

Still haven't made either of the Stone rd climbs, and the rock garden is still iffy.

Haven't made any progress on the fat kid climb (Cornwall climb). Keep getting effed up on that stupid rock. :angry:

In general I've gotten a lot better about rolling down sketchy looking downhills and rollers, as well as getting up and over stuff.

Not on the list that I made recently is the big log stack towards the end of the Rez ride. :beer:

WoodCore

Technically this being my first year of "real" MTB trail riding the only thing on my to do list at the beginning of the year was to simply get out and ride. Check that one off for sure but during the course of the season have run into a bunch of features and sections of trail along the way that have frustrated me to all ends and after multiple failed attempts it's amazing how good it feels upon successfully rolling these sections of trail for the first time .

For example I'm super stoked that was able to get up and over Brian's Rock for the first time tonight. :beer:

MR. evil

Congratulations I guess...... but really how hard could that spot be of it's named after Brian? ;-)

WoodCore

Congratulations I guess...... but really how hard could that spot be of it's named after Brian? ;-)

If you knew the Brian it was named after you would change your opinion for sure!

bvibert

Staff member
Going up Brian's rock (sorry Timmy, different Brian) is definitely no gimme, IMHO. It takes a combo of speed and the right line, and sometimes that little extra push right before you think you're about to tumble over backwards.

Nice work Woodcore!

MR. evil

Ya I know it's a different Brian. You guys really have no sense of humor.

bvibert

Staff member
Ya I know it's a different Brian. You guys really have no sense of humor.

I got what you were trying to do there, but didn't think it was that funny.

I guess I should have came back with something about how one of the lamest rock features in all of Nass is named after you... :razz:

bvibert

Staff member
What lame rock feature is named after Tim?? Do tell!!

Not sure if I can accurately describe where it is, on b-street somewhere. It's just a little rock that you can roll or drop if heading towards sessions. The first time Tim hit it he managed to pseudo OTB and almost plant his face squarely on a nearby tree. It looked like it was going to be really ugly for a second. From then on out it became known as Tim's rock by our group. It was later on during the same ride that we also named Red's rock after Tim's friend Red fell and broke a rib on the truck trail heading towards E Chippens.

MR. evil

Not sure if I can accurately describe where it is, on b-street somewhere. It's just a little rock that you can roll or drop if heading towards sessions. The first time Tim hit it he managed to pseudo OTB and almost plant his face squarely on a nearby tree. It looked like it was going to be really ugly for a second. From then on out it became known as Tim's rock by our group. It was later on during the same ride that we also named Red's rock after Tim's friend Red fell and broke a rib on the truck trail heading towards E Chippens.

Actually I belive its called the 'Tim OTB Rock' and that was like the 4th or 5th time I rode that trail. One of my friends (Chris) stopped on the rock right in front of me. For some reason I though I could ride around him and also do a wheelie drop from essentially an uphill aproach with no speed. I went flying over the bars superman style, slammed into a tree about 6 feet above the ground and then almost feel on top of Greg. I had a 5" wide tree truck shaped bruise from shoulder to mid chest for a couple of weeks. Would have been the crash of the day had my friend Red not been an attention hog and broke his ribs about 10 minutes later.

And while it is a very small & lame rock feature, Brian is still too affraid to ride down it :razz: