• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head...

bvibert

Staff member
For practice I built a small 6’ long platform in the backyard. Its just long enough for my bike to fit on it with several inched to spare front & back. I ride up onto it very slowly, stop and hold a track stand for a few seconds. Then from a complete stop do a wheely drop. This drill lets me work on a couple of things at once (slow speed maneuvering, track stands, & wheely drops). Lately I have been working on doing wheely drops to my left or right side after a track stand instead of straight off the end. I set the platform on concrete blocks and can adjust the height to suit my mood.

I gotta setup something like that...

WoodCore

At this point as a MTB newbie pretty much everything is still on the "to-do" list for me! It is fun to read some of your older posts and finally be able to relate to the challenges they presented to you back then, which I guess are the same ones I'm dealing with now. Regardless, I'm so excited to be out there doing it and get quite excited when I'm able to get through the next one on the list!

Greg

Staff member
At this point as a MTB newbie pretty much everything is still on the "to-do" list for me! It is fun to read some of your older posts and finally be able to relate to the challenges they presented to you back then, which I guess are the same ones I'm dealing with now. Regardless, I'm so excited to be out there doing it and get quite excited when I'm able to get through the next one on the list!

It's a fun "ride". Trust me, I know where you're coming from. There were things last summer that gave me pause that really aren't much of anything. The early learning curve is fun and steep. Still is for me, but now much more of the trail is of little concern. Looking forward to riding with you eventually.

2knees

well to answer the question, there is something i skipped last year that i do really want to hit this year. but i have so much still to work on as far as endurance, balance, knowledge etc it almost seems silly. but there is a gap jump and a road gap in nepaug which both looked very doable that i skipped. One was at the bottom of a run of hits where one of the crankfire guys wiped hard on. (not that gap jump, it was waaaay spaced out) The other was the road gap before the long downhill to step up under the powerlines.

both will be hit the next time i get back there.

MR. evil

well to answer the question, there is something i skipped last year that i do really want to hit this year. but i have so much still to work on as far as endurance, balance, knowledge etc it almost seems silly. but there is a gap jump and a road gap in nepaug which both looked very doable that i skipped. One was at the bottom of a run of hits where one of the crankfire guys wiped hard on. (not that gap jump, it was waaaay spaced out) The other was the road gap before the long downhill to step up under the powerlines.

both will be hit the next time i get back there.

:-o

Place your bets, how long till Pat snaps his bike in half? My guess is the first time he hits Nepaug.

Greg

Staff member
:-o

Place your bets, how long till Pat snaps his bike in half? My guess is the first time he hits Nepaug.

Everybody keeps saying that. I bet it lasts most of the summer. 2knees is good like that. :)

MR. evil

Everybody keeps saying that. I bet it lasts most of the summer. 2knees is good like that. :)

I am actually worried about Pat hitting that road gap jump at Nepaug on that bike. I know he can do it, just not sure the bike can handle it. We watched Duffman, Aeroplane & AdRock hit the gap, its F'g HUGE! They were all easily jumping a good 30 plus feet

Greg

Staff member
I am actually worried about Pat hitting that road gap jump at Nepaug on that bike. I know he can do it, just not sure the bike can handle it. We watched Duffman, Aeroplane & AdRock hit the gap, its F'g HUGE! They were all easily jumping a good 30 plus feet

Pat's like a buck-fitty soaking wet, and the air he takes, he lands really smooth. I still say that diamondback last longer than anyone predicts. Put him on a real free ride bike and that's when things get scary, IMHO.

MR. evil

Pat's like a buck-fitty soaking wet, and the air he takes, he lands really smooth. I still say that diamondback last longer than anyone predicts. Put him on a real free ride bike and that's when things get scary, IMHO.

You make a good point, but I still get a bad feeling when I think about anyone riding a department store bike off stuff like that.

2knees

You make a good point, but I still get a bad feeling when I think about anyone riding a department store bike off stuff like that.

:lol:

i'm not stupid Tim. my bike has taken a beating from the crap i've built in my backyard. (front rim is bent nicely and back rim a little bit.) trust me, it can handle that road gap with its soft downhill landing.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.

Greg pointed out the perfect opportunity to hit a small drop for practice on Sunday, but I wussed out. :( If we had come across it after my success with finally getting that log ride I probably would have been more interested, but it's just another lost opportunity now. Oh well, next time.

Greg

Staff member
Greg pointed out the perfect opportunity to hit a small drop for practice on Sunday, but I wussed out. :( If we had come across it after my success with finally getting that log ride I probably would have been more interested, but it's just another lost opportunity now. Oh well, next time.

I tried dude. That little drop is a perfect learner. Turns out we had plenty of time for it too.

Trev

As posted earlier by another Newbie Biker... basically everything.

For now here we go:

- Hinman Trail Drop (By the 2 A-frames)
I got balsy and blasted over the A-frames one day and slowed down too much and did not pull up for the drop. OTB'd and been a bit gunshy on it since. The Frames I blast over, the drop I stop short on :) Need to do it.. looking for some smaller practice areas actually.

- Cemetery to fire road non stop both ways
Finished this goal yesterday... very excited to get through those rocks uphill at the end

-Fat Kid Climb
Found it yesterday, need/want to do it

- Hinman trail North end by 69 from rockwall to road
That area is killing me, especially by the little stream. I am off my bike every damn time in those rocks.. and not from giving up !

- Speed up my overall rides
I've done well thus far, but stamina and speed I am still working on, probably will be for quite some time as well

- Find some riding buds!
Christ this solo riding is probably half my problem regarding goal achievement! Need those tips and to see others completing what I want to.

Game on!

bvibert

Staff member
As posted earlier by another Newbie Biker... basically everything.

For now here we go:

- Hinman Trail Drop (By the 2 A-frames)
I got balsy and blasted over the A-frames one day and slowed down too much and did not pull up for the drop. OTB'd and been a bit gunshy on it since. The Frames I blast over, the drop I stop short on :) Need to do it.. looking for some smaller practice areas actually.

If it makes you feel better, I've been riding for a couple years and I won't even try that drop yet. You can ride around it to the right, BTW. ;)

- Cemetery to fire road non stop both ways
Finished this goal yesterday... very excited to get through those rocks uphill at the end

-Fat Kid Climb
Found it yesterday, need/want to do it

- Hinman trail North end by 69 from rockwall to road
That area is killing me, especially by the little stream. I am off my bike every damn time in those rocks.. and not from giving up !

I haven't successfully done any of these either. I've done every section of the Cemetery heading out towards fat kid climb at one point or another, but never all together. I've only ridden it in reverse once or twice, I can't recall how that went, might have done it in one shot except for that short climb about mid-way (it's a fun little DH with a very small wooden ramp going the other way).

FKC is on my list to do all in one shot, still one section that screws me up.

That section on Hinman's is another goal of mine. I've gotten most parts at one point, but never together.

- Speed up my overall rides
I've done well thus far, but stamina and speed I am still working on, probably will be for quite some time as well

- Find some riding buds!
Christ this solo riding is probably half my problem regarding goal achievement! Need those tips and to see others completing what I want to.

Game on!

Riding with faster guys, like Reuler, will definitely help make you faster.

Watch the T&E section here, we post rides all the time. You're welcome to join in whenever you want. Usually mid-week rides at around 6pm or early morning rides on Sunday's (7am, so we still have the rest of the day to do other stuff).

Trev

If it makes you feel better, I've been riding for a couple years and I won't even try that drop yet. You can ride around it to the right, BTW. ;)

I've only ridden it in reverse once or twice, I can't recall how that went, might have done it in one shot except for that short climb about mid-way (it's a fun little DH with a very small wooden ramp going the other way).

I conveniently forgot about that hill.. that I have not done yet either :)

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.

Curbs. Practice on curbs. Find the right gear so that one hard pedal stroke will propell you forward the right distance (just past one wheel base legth of your bike). Don't wheelie drop sitting down. I'll say that again, don't wheelie drop sitting down. Ussually the right gear is like 2-3, 2-4.

First pick a spot on flat ground and pratice wheeling just as your front tire gets to it with one good hard, standing up crank, so that as you back tires goes past it you front tire is just hovering a coupla inches off the ground. Too small a gear will not propell you far enough, you will run out of power too soon and you will nose off. Wheeliing too far/hard will cause you to loop out. Next move to a curb with a totally smooth lip. Do that a bunch of times until you are coming off is control, flat and level. Keep looking ahead, like in the bumps. Alot of people stare at the lip, drop off, and then ride into shit their first few times.
Don't wheelie drop sitting down on your seat. Once you have a low speed wheelie drop off of smooth, flat or even DH lips, things will get more technical with rough or uphill takeoffs. Avoid these until you are super comfy of straight forward drops. Hitting drops at speed in more of a "huck" w/o the pedal stroke is easier and can be practiced the same way w/o and danger. You want flat takeoffs and landings. Getting a wheelie drop down is a major break thru. So many places to use it. The same move can be used as you basic lunge over all sorts of obsticals...

bvibert

Staff member
Curbs. Practice on curbs. Find the right gear so that one hard pedal stroke will propell you forward the right distance (just past one wheel base legth of your bike). Don't wheelie drop sitting down. I'll say that again, don't wheelie drop sitting down. Ussually the right gear is like 2-3, 2-4.

First pick a spot on flat ground and pratice wheeling just as your front tire gets to it with one good hard, standing up crank, so that as you back tires goes past it you front tire is just hovering a coupla inches off the ground. Too small a gear will not propell you far enough, you will run out of power too soon and you will nose off. Wheeliing too far/hard will cause you to loop out. Next move to a curb with a totally smooth lip. Do that a bunch of times until you are coming off is control, flat and level. Keep looking ahead, like in the bumps. Alot of people stare at the lip, drop off, and then ride into shit their first few times.
Don't wheelie drop sitting down on your seat. Once you have a low speed wheelie drop off of smooth, flat or even DH lips, things will get more technical with rough or uphill takeoffs. Avoid these until you are super comfy of straight forward drops. Hitting drops at speed in more of a "huck" w/o the pedal stroke is easier and can be practiced the same way w/o and danger. You want flat takeoffs and landings. Getting a wheelie drop down is a major break thru. So many places to use it. The same move can be used as you basic lunge over all sorts of obsticals...

Thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to work on that!